Topic: Rooftop Rumble

Directory Link

Rooftop Rumble

Youtube
Vid.Me

2 warriors fight on a rooftop in a dystopian cyberpunk city.

This video was made to test out some new lights LED lights.

Re: Rooftop Rumble

I thought that was rather good.  I really liked the cyber punk lighting, which nicely set the thematic mood, and the animation was pretty smooth.

A few things though: although the animation is pretty fluid, the weapon swings aren't quite forceful enough.  I'd suggest speeding them up during the swings to make them feel a bit more lethal.  Also, I feel like the rain overlay got in the way a bit.  Since it's just pasted over the screen, it doesn't quite feel like it's really there.  It'd probably be better to just leave that out entirely.

keep up the good work, though!

The fighting choreography and animation was pretty good, but the film as a whole felt quite static. As a filmmaker, you have a lot of tools as your disposal that you can use to make exciting action scenes, and it seems a shame not to use them. I'm thinking mostly of things like quicker cuts (shorter shots), a variety of close-up and mid-shots to sell the intensity of each hit, and off-kilter camera angles when things get crazy. These things will make your work feel less like an animation test, and more like an actual film.

I recommend heading to YouTube and looking up "edit a fight scene" "edit an action scene" "shoot a fight scene" etc. to get an idea of the editing techniques you can take advantage of to create more exciting work.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I found the rain to be too distracting from the action. I think the sound of the rain and the reflectivity of the rooftop surface would be enough to make you feel like it's raining. Especially in the dark, rain is quite hard to see. I was really hoping for

Spoiler (click to read)

a decapitation

and I wasn't disappointed.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png