Topic: Lego or Clay?

Which do you think is easier to animate with AND which produces a better end result?

Post your thoughts mini/smile

Happy THACing mini/sunnies

Re: Lego or Clay?

Well LEGO is certainly much easier to do well.  Claymation provides a lot of freedom but you need more equipment and expertise to pull it off, when you put plasticine, armatures and set construction in the mix the costs can get into the thousands pretty quickly.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Seeing as this is a brickfilming forum, I think most of the answers will be obvious.

I reckon Lego is easier to animate with and if done right, can produce some great results. It's easier to build sets and props. Claymation is more difficult both to animate and make sets and props but if done to the standard of, say, Wallace and Grommit, it can't be beaten.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Clay is a mess IMO. That's why I prefer LEGO. I've used clay in the past but, really it's not as structured as LEGO.

I agree with Sean in that if you are a master at using clay you might be able to pull off something better than lego.

I'm not saying I like clay better mini/tongue

Happy THACing mini/sunnies

I prefer Lego because Clay will melt if it stays in a room with a hot temperature. And somekinds of clay stick to the carpet when you drop it, and if you're not good at sculping stuff then your claymations will be crap, so, use Lego.

I think Captain Bulldog would be the best person to ask this here.

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.

Clay melts under the lamps.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

You can mix wax in with clay to make it harder to melt, when I do film using clay I work at a much larger scale and the lights are much farther away (I think I use far more watts of light them most people here) unless your house is really hot melting should not be a problem, you can also cool the clay down very quickly by taking a can of compressed air upside down and spraying the clay figure.

Clay IS much harder to deal with then clay and because of this it is easier to make a higher quality LEGO movie then claymation, however, you can achieve a much higher quality using clay if you can build/find really great props.  The thing that bugs me about clay is repairing the puppets after every shot, I am kind of interested in foam latex, however it is much harder to make a foam latex puppet then a clay puppet.