Topic: Camera and Software Recommendations

Hello everyone, I've recently been looking to purchase a new camera for animating, and I can't seem to find a decent one that fits my animating needs (and budget). I can only spend around 150 to 200 dollars. And I do not really want to buy a webcam due to the fact that I don't have any image capture software. This, as you may notice, creates another problem: I will need a software or app to turn the pictures I take into a movie. So if anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited by Shawarma Studios (May 12, 2016 (09:22am))

Re: Camera and Software Recommendations

With a budget of $150 to $200, I'd say a webcam is your best bet. They are compact while also being capable of taking HD images. Plus, you would more than likely have some money leftover to spend on other equipment or LEGO. The Logitech C920 is a great choice.

Another positive to using a webcam for brickfilming is that they are compatible with almost any frame capture program.  Heliumfrog is an older but very useful, free capture software. Also, BoatsAreRockable and Aiwa are both writing their own programs. You can check them out here: Boats Animator,
Heron Animation

Additionally, the BiM Free Software List is a helpful resource.

Last edited by Willow Tree (May 12, 2016 (10:28am))

As Willow Tree said, I think your best bet is to get a Logitech c920. It's compatible with a number of frame capture software's, plus, it's super budget friendly, and allows for 1080p quality, and full manual control (plus, many members here own one, so you can generally receive help, if/when needed). If you rule out all webcams, then you'll have to look at point-and-shoots, many of which have no compatibility with frame capture software. I think some of Canon's Powershot's may work with EOS Utility, which does not export image sequences as video, or have special features. It's simply meant for image and video capture.
What operating system are you using? I used to use Heliumfrog, which has onionskinning, video export, and much more, but it only runs on Windows.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

Actually, all animations I've done to date have been created using an Iphone animation app. I do have an older webcam, so I downloaded Heron Animation to capture frames, but it couldn't export as .mov, so I have just been using the phone.
I would rather purchase a Nikon or Canon camera because I wouldn't have to be plugged into the laptop while I'm animating. I heard that Squid doesn't use an image capture software, so I'm curious how one would turn the pictures into a completed scene. Is there a computer software or something for this? I'm a Mac user.
Thanks for your help guys, and I apologize if I'm not being specific enough.

After you've capture your frames with Heron, you have to import them into a separate program. Since you're on a Mac, you could use Quicktime Pro which would allow you to import an image sequence and then export that as a video file at your desired frame rate. You could also import your frames into your editing software and adjust the duration of each frame on the timeline.

The same goes for if you're using a DSLR--once the frames are captured, you have to import them into a program such as Quicktime Pro to export a video file. If it's even still available for purchase, I believe it costs around $20. Unfortunately, I don't know of any alternatives other than adjusting the frames in your editing software.

This tutorial may be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiKtYyTAWAw

A couple things,
First; most point and shoot cameras do not have manual settings, so if you're looking at a point and shoot, make sure you do your research first, as manual settings (or an exposure/focus lock toggle) are an absolute must for animation. this is why a web cam or smart phone can sometimes be a better option.
Second; you shouldn't need any software to combine you pictures into a video file, I animate 'blind' (without animation software) all the time, and any decent editing software should be able to import the image files.  Just set your camera to the resolution you want to work with, (usually the smallest resolution that is bigger than you finished video size) then once your done animating, bring the files in to you editing software's timeline. For Windows Movie Maker and iMovie, select all the images, then set the duration and transform to the correct value, and you're good to go, if you need apply effects that only work on a video file, simply export and then re-import.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

Thanks so much for the help guys!

If you get a DSLR, and animate the traditional way without frame capture software, you will need image sequencing software to play the images at 15fps or whatever framerate you want. You cannot do this simply with iMovie. The shortest you can make a photo in iMovie is like 0.8 seconds, which is 1.25 fps. I use a video editor and compositor called Hitfilm Express, which has a feature which lets you import images as image sequences.

https://hitfilm.com

Web cams usually come with he software, unless it's the lowest quality ones out there.  And there are free applications for virtually every creative endeavor out there.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

jasper wrote:

...You cannot do this simply with iMovie. The shortest you can make a photo in iMovie is like 0.8 seconds, which is 1.25 fps. ...

That isn't quite true, what version of iMovie are you using? I just tested with version 10.1.2 (the latest version) and was able to set the duration down to 0.1 sec which gives you 10fps.

that being said, Hitfilm 4 express is certainly a fantastic pice of software for free, and well worth looking into.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

MarkNelsonMovies wrote:
jasper wrote:

...You cannot do this simply with iMovie. The shortest you can make a photo in iMovie is like 0.8 seconds, which is 1.25 fps. ...

That isn't quite true, what version of iMovie are you using? I just tested with version 10.1.2 (the latest version) and was able to set the duration down to 0.1 sec which gives you 10fps.

that being said, Hitfilm 4 express is certainly a fantastic pice of software for free, and well worth looking into.

Oh, ok, but 10fps still too slow.

Agreed, Jasper. I normally film at 20 to 25 fps, so that wouldn't work. Hitfilm currently seems to be the best option, so I'm looking into that. I really appreciate all your advice. mini/smile

I have very little information when it comes to recommending camera, but I've heard Nikon D type cameras are good.

If you don't have time to read the full review, here's the conclusion: http://thedigitalcamera.net/nikon-d7100 … ifference/

Mod Edit: Please use the edit button if you want to add to your post instead of double posting. Thanks!

jesse, a D7100/D7200 is way out of his price range. Also, it's pretty widely accepted (and not just on this website, but by the animation community at large) that Canon is a better brand for stop motion. There are several reasons, you'll find them if you browse around the forums a bit.

Shawarma Studios wrote:

I would rather purchase a Nikon or Canon camera because I wouldn't have to be plugged into the laptop while I'm animating. I heard that Squid doesn't use an image capture software, so I'm curious how one would turn the pictures into a completed scene. Is there a computer software or something for this? I'm a Mac user.
Thanks for your help guys, and I apologize if I'm not being specific enough.

Of course, you should note that one does not simply purchase a DSLR for animation by itself. You'll need AT LEAST (well, ok, sure, these are optional, but they are optimal to have) a power adapter (the battery hates to live during animation), and a tripod (though, some people animate on only a desk, but I find it hard).

If animating blind, you'll need to buy a remote control or else you'll be touching your camera for every frame, causing it to shake around like there's an earthquake. It is an option to capture without software, but it's hard (also it's incredibly difficult to preview the frames captured on the camera).

As the others have said, since I'm late to the party, you'll still need something to sequence images. I'd say VirtualDub, but it's not for Mac, so I can't. I'm sure there's some type of equivalent somewhere, but IDK what it is... mini/sad

On another note, if you do chose to get a DSLR, make sure you don't get a Nikon since they commonly have light flicker issues unless you decide to use a manual prime lens. And even if you do use a prime manual lens, it's not guaranteed to work the greatest, because of the flange distance on Nikon cameras that doesn't allow the lens to focus beyond a few meters (at least for the few lenses I tried).

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Thanks for your advice, rioforce. I'm currently looking at either a Nikon D3100, or a Coolpix. I figure I can buy a cheap tripod, or secure the camera down with tack or electric tape. (I'm not ignoring what you said about Nikon cameras, but the ones I looked at seem to be cheaper. A Canon Rebel would have been my first choice, but that's way out of my price range).

By the way, Jasper, thanks so much for introducing me to Hitfilm. I downloaded it and its so cool. It will most certainly improve the overall quality of Beowulf, as well as that of future animations. mini/smile