Topic: The Vengeful (Western)

Directory Link

The Vengeful

The Vengeful

Two men chaned together get free, but one is willing to take revenge: wich? Why?
A very short western scene, almost a sort of ending scene for a non-existing western. I opted for doing a movie of this genre because of my current interest towards spaghetti-westerns, and probably won't be the only western I'm doing with this main character. Originally this scene wasn't supposed to have any words, but the dinamics don't allow that unfortunately. Plus i personally don't feel the music fits completely well, I couldn't compose one myself this time, and this short required music.

Please rate & share your thoughts through some constructive criticism!

Last edited by LegoStudiosP (May 11, 2016 (12:08pm))

Re: The Vengeful (Western)

still kindly awaiting some constructive feedback/rating mini/smile

I don't really care for Westerns, but I think you deffinatly captured the look and feel.
I thought that the framing/composition and animation were pretty good.
there was a little bit of light flicker, but the only real issue I noticed was that the keying wasn't that great in places.
this may have something do do with the fact that the background was out of focus, and it's nearly impossible to get a good key on something blurry.  Have you thought about using a backdrop an lights instead of adding the sky in post?
Keep on animating! mini/smile

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

I liked the tight angles you had here, and the occasional electric guitar reminded me of Once Upon a Time in the West.

While the scene is nice, the lack of context hurts it.  It feels as if there is more that we need to know in order to fully understand what's going on.  How did they get there?  What happened to the woman from the picture? 

I'll have to keep an eye out for your next clip.  I've been working on and off on a Western inspired by Sergio Leone and it's nice to see someone else inspired by similar work.  I'm looking forward to whatever you come out with next.

MarkNelsonMovies wrote:

there was a little bit of light flicker, but the only real issue I noticed was that the keying wasn't that great in places.
this may have something do do with the fact that the background was out of focus, and it's nearly impossible to get a good key on something blurry.  Have you thought about using a backdrop an lights instead of adding the sky in post?
Keep on animating! mini/smile

I agree, Light flickers appeared in the flashbacks (I assume you refer to those), that was me forgetting to move away so my hand wouldn't reflect on the bricks. I actually did think of utting a cardboard sky background, the reason I kept the bluescreen was that I didn't have time to get a cardboard sky of the right color. I agree, chroma keying isn't for these kind of shots.

Greenshirt wrote:

I liked the tight angles you had here, and the occasional electric guitar reminded me of Once Upon a Time in the West.

While the scene is nice, the lack of context hurts it.  It feels as if there is more that we need to know in order to fully understand what's going on.  How did they get there?  What happened to the woman from the picture?

I didn't think for some reason that the guitar could resemble Once Upon a time in the west (My second favourite BTW), but now that I think about it you are right!
I see the point. On the way they got chained together and got there originally they were supposed to jump out of a train, a scene I later decided to not do because I lacked of time to do it, but it was intentional to keep misterious the way that happenned. What I maybe have implied too much is in the very short flashback where the deserter hits  the woman is linked to her fate (that's the "moderate sexual content"). As I'm using the same character in the next western short, I can try to explain better what happenned in that one.

I'll have to keep an eye out for your next clip.  I've been working on and off on a Western inspired by Sergio Leone and it's nice to see someone else inspired by similar work.  I'm looking forward to whatever you come out with next.

Thanks! It's nice for me to see other brickfilmers appreciating Leone, and you just got me interested in your work (I see some Leone-based titles there). I am planning to make a sort of personal 'dollars trilogy'. just with shorter films, and of course definitely not masterpieces as Leone's films are. mini/smile