Topic: Nikon over Canon, pros & cons.

Hey there!! So recently i made a post about the Canon powershot products, asking if they were compatible with monkey jam, (they aren;t mini/sad ). As much as i'm indifferent about DSLRs, i'm looking to purchasing one that does the job. I'm researching what DSLR I could use with Monkeyjam or istop motion.I'me looking at the Nikon D3000, and maybe the Canon 2Ti. Does anyone have any recommendations? If so what could i use them with? iStop-motion or monkeyjam?

Thanks all!!:)

Austin-Frame5 Studios https://i.imgur.com/6kA5imJ.png

Re: Nikon over Canon, pros & cons.

MonkeyJam hates pretty much every camera, so it definitely won't work with a DSLR. iStopMotion will, I'm pretty sure, but I'm not a Mac user so I'm not positive.

However, don't get the Nikon D3000. It doesn't have live view. In fact, even some of the lower end Nikon cameras that do have live view (such as the Nikon D3100) don't support live view on the computer (which means that the software would only capture frames and wouldn't let you see what you are doing or onion skin or anything). I know all this from experience. I used to use a Nikon, and it's software is so limited, so I bought a Canon about a year later.

(Besides that, Nikons have a nasty issue with aperture and lenses that cause the aperture to change slightly between shots, giving a light flicker-type effect that is annoying and can only be fixed by using manual lenses).

A lot of the Canon cameras are similar, I have heard good things about the T2i, many animators use it, but I'm not sure if it's as computer friendly as others, because I have the SL1, so I'm no good on the specifics on that subject.

Always keep in mind when upgrading that the purchases rarely stop at a camera. You'll probably want a tripod, some lenses (which aren't necessary with the Canon, a lot of animators just use the kit lens and it works great), software, macro lens filters, etc etc etc). Just a couple warnings.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by rioforce (March 23, 2016 (12:51pm))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Thanks!! You have the SL1?? what is that? not camera savi lol mini/smile

rioforce wrote:

MonkeyJam hates pretty much every camera, so it definitely won't work with a DSLR. iStopMotion will, I'm pretty sure, but I'm not a Mac user so I'm not positive.

However, don't get the Nikon D3000. It doesn't have live view. In fact, even some of the lower end Nikon cameras that do have live view (such as the Nikon D3100) don't support live view on the computer (which means that the software would only capture frames and wouldn't let you see what you are doing or onion skin or anything). I know all this from experience. I used to use a Nikon, and it's software is so limited, so I bought a Canon about a year later.

(Besides that, Nikons have a nasty issue with aperture and lenses that cause the aperture to change slightly between shots, giving a light flicker-type effect that is annoying and can only be fixed by using manual lenses).

A lot of the Canon cameras are similar, I have heard good things about the T2i, many animators use it, but I'm not sure if it's as computer friendly as others, because I have the SL1, so I'm no good on the specifics on that subject.

Always keep in mind when upgrading that the purchases rarely stop at a camera. You'll probably want a tripod, some lenses (which aren't necessary with the Canon, a lot of animators just use the kit lens and it works great), software, macro lens filters, etc etc etc). Just a couple warnings.

I hope this helps.

haha nevermind i looked it up! I like your videos, thats the exact quality im looking for. Whats your setup?

rioforce wrote:

I hope this helps.

For reference, here are the cameras that iStop-Motion supports.

Nikon D5100
Nikon D5200
Nikon D7100
Nikon D800

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EOS 450D
Canon EOS 550D
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EOS 60D
Canon EOS 60Da
Canon EOS 700D
Canon EOS 7D
Canon Kiss X2
Canon Kiss X4
Canon Kiss X7i
Canon Rebel T2i
Canon Rebel T5i
Canon Rebel XSi

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

Thank you so much for this!!

MarkNelsonMovies wrote:

For reference, here are the cameras that iStop-Motion supports.

Nikon D5100
Nikon D5200
Nikon D7100
Nikon D800

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EOS 450D
Canon EOS 550D
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EOS 60D
Canon EOS 60Da
Canon EOS 700D