Topic: Extension Tubes Stuck

I recently purchased a set of Fotodiox Nikon extension tubes for brickfilming. From what I've tested, it seems like they'll work pretty well, but I've encountered a problem; the 7mm ring won't separate from the camera mount piece. I've tried everything that I could think of, but I just can't get them to twist apart. Can anyone help?

Re: Extension Tubes Stuck

I had that same issue. It's really small, and if tightened too much (or cross threaded), it'll get stuck. Honestly, just a rubber jap opener (or even a metal jap opening clamp) is all that I can think of. You just have to get a good grip and twist and pull.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Thanks, rio! I managed to get them unstuck.

Any kind of metal rings that screw into other components and are cheaply made, are liable to have this problem, so I strongly advise getting into the habit of never screwing them in too tightly. It isn't only that they're too tight; it actually has a lot to do with the fact that when you are trying really hard to get the rings apart, you are generally compressing the soft, cheap metal in on itself in an effort to grip it with your other hand, which makes it harder instead of easier to unscrew.

You can also get filter wrenches for certain sizes of filters (IMO not all that well-suited to extension tubes, but good for most other kinds of filters). More expensive, brass filter accessories tend not to have this problem.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I think I spent a few months and over $100 getting Nikon's PK-1, 2 & 3 tubes which have that wonderful 80's Nikon craftsmanship, I've looked around a single tube costs more then the whole Fotodiox set, but you are going to be getting a far better crafted piece of equipment. I also can't seem to find the PK-2 or PK-12 which is the medium sized 14mm tube which the 14mm and 8mm tubes are probably the two most useful sizes.

Edit:
If you have $90 sitting around here is the best set of extention tubes for stop motion that money can buy

Thanks for the tips, Sloth and Smeagol. I'll have to keep these things in mind.