Topic: Bump and the Knight

Directory Link

Bump and the Knight

YouTube

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... right?

A short midieval themed horror brickfilm. Made mainly for the purpose of practicing (and maybe kinda showing off) lighting and animation techniques. Constructive criticism and comments are fully welcome. I'd love to hear what I did right, as well as what you think I could improve! mini/wink

Last edited by Brickcrazy (December 13, 2015 (09:49pm))

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

Re: Bump and the Knight

Wow,  I don't think I have ever seen a better done short. It was executed very well, and the technical aspect is wonderful, the lighting, and the animation was superb. Can't wait for Vega!

Real Love is Sacrifice, a choice to Love others more then yourself and to put their needs before yours.

Rafael, I doubt this is the best made short you've ever seen, but it is very good. Your animation has approved immensely from your older films like Elementary, and the lighting is really top notch. The cinematography is good, but I don't think it need quite so many dutch angles. You could have used them a bit more selectively to create the sense of unease and wrongness in specific shots containing supernatural elements. Really nice short, I'm now even more excited about Vega than I was before. mini/smile

Excellent work. You perfected it really well. I like the microscale mini/smile

Dude that was amazing. The animation was super smooth to, and you did an amazing job with the paper falling in the floor. Some day could you post a behind the scenes video to because I am still trying to learn different techniques for stop-motion.

Fantastical Every spooky second of this short was enjoyed. The props were great (I especially love that microscale castle!), and the lighting was top notch! The sound design was well done as well. Keep up the awesome work, Brickcrazy! mini/bigsmile

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Very good work. I really liked the lighting and the sound design made for a fantastic atmosphere. Not a big fan of all the dutch angles in the film seemed to detract from the cinematography.

This was a great short. The sound design was great and the lighting was perfect! Keep up the good work mini/smile

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Looks great! Sounds great. Sorry I never got back to you about doing music; finals week... Great Job!

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

Well done, Brickcrazy! I much enjoyed this. The thunder seemed a bit odd to me (might have been YT low quality streaming, but i doubt it) other than that it was a great piece to prove that you're still alive!

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Wow, great to see so many positive responses! I'm glad everyone liked the lighting and sound design, as those were my two primary concerns when making this film.

Triscuit520 wrote:

Dude that was amazing. The animation was super smooth to, and you did an amazing job with the paper falling in the floor. Some day could you post a behind the scenes video to because I am still trying to learn different techniques for stop-motion.

Thanks, you are too kind. I probably won't make a behind the scenes for this particular video. Most of the animation in this video was actually rather simple. I tried making it look as natural as possible though using anticipation, ease-in ease-out, etc. I must admit though, I consider that paper shot to be my greatest achievement since this mini/wink

backyardlegos wrote:

The cinematography is good, but I don't think it need quite so many dutch angles.

AquaMorph wrote:

Not a big fan of all the dutch angles in the film seemed to detract from the cinematography.

Yeah, I was kinda concerned about overusing those while I was filming, yet still managed to do so anyway. Like I said, while I was trying to pay attention to my cinematography, I was mainly trying to work on my animation and lighting in this one. I'll be sure to cut back on the Dutch angles and use them more selectively in the future.

If I Were A Minifig wrote:

Looks great! Sounds great. Sorry I never got back to you about doing music; finals week... Great Job!

Thanks If I Were A Minifigure! No worries about the music. Halfway through post-production I decided the film would work just fine without any. I meant to PM you and let you know. Sorry for forgetting.

Great short! The animation and sound design are superb!

Whoa...Very nice!

Loved the atmosphere you created, and how the things slowly built up from 'mundane' to 'suspiciously malevolent' to, well, the end. Great animation, especially on the last shot with the ball joints. And I love the mini-scale tower and island!

I saw this and I was really impressed!
I especially liked the lighting, smooth animation, and use of slanted camera angles.
Generally an all around great job.  I'm really interested in seeing whatever you make next.

Hey, really nice job! I really liked the atmosphere. The lighting, animation, and pretty much everything else was nicely done.

I probably wouldn't make a comment on something like this typically, but it felt particularly pronounced in this short which is a real shame. Namely, the way the short just... ended. Personally speaking, from a story perspective it felt like it ended right before the climax so to speak. Even though its only a little over a minute long, it really built up some suspense and atmosphere, and thus I was rather disappointed when it simply ended. Maybe its just me though, and the final shot did it for everyone else.

In a certain way, considering I don't have any technical critiques, you could consider the above a complement! mini/smile

Squid wrote:

I especially liked the lighting, smooth animation, and use of slanted camera angles.

Thanks Squid! I always loved how you implemented Dutch angles so much in your films, and that played a large part in me starting to use them in my own films (though, in this case, I kinda overused them... mini/shifty )

AnW wrote:

I probably wouldn't make a comment on something like this typically, but it felt particularly pronounced in this short which is a real shame. Namely, the way the short just... ended. Personally speaking, from a story perspective it felt like it ended right before the climax so to speak. Even though its only a little over a minute long, it really built up some suspense and atmosphere, and thus I was rather disappointed when it simply ended. Maybe its just me though, and the final shot did it for everyone else.

Yeah, I get what you're saying and where you are coming from. I think the best way to explain this by admitting that I came up with the idea of this short mainly as a glorified animation test. I was mainly focused on lighting, animation, and sound design (the latter being the thing I most needed practice on), and those took precedence to story to some extent. Besides, If you say the film doesn't have a satisfying ending, you could use the same reasoning to say that it doesn't have a satisfying beginning. I kinda more or less intentionally made the film to look like a portion taken out of a larger film.

At the same time however, I still thought this should work fine for an ending. What happens after the ghost reveals itself to the knight? Does the knight escape? Does she try to fight back (how does one actually fight a ghost BTW?), does the ghost attack and do... whatever ghosts do to poor unfortunate knights foolish enough to rummage around in their lair? Does the ghost turn out to be friendly and they have a nice little tea party together??? I thought it would be cool to leave those questions to the minds of the viewers to answer, adding to the mystery and suspense (well, that was my kooky reasoning anyway mini/wink  )

Last edited by Brickcrazy (December 20, 2015 (08:19pm))