Topic: After Effects/Premiere Pro CS5 A/V Lag

Hey, so I use After Effects & Premiere Pro CS5 (don't feel like paying for a subscription) for all of my editing and for Youtube, I encode or export or add to render queue with the H.264 settings so that everything is in order. But when going to play it back, if the video (both stopmotion and live-action) is longer than 2-ish minutes, the audio and video go out of sync, and the video begins playing faster than the audio, which causes the last little bit of audio to be cut out and (for live-action) the lips and talking and sound effects to all be out of place. Anybody else experienced a similar problem and know how to fix it?

Just to clarify: at the beginning of the video, the audio is synced perfectly. But then, after each frame, it seems to get off more and more.

Where Creativity Meets Logic.
Youtube]

Re: After Effects/Premiere Pro CS5 A/V Lag

I've encountered this problem before, when playing the video with KMPlayer.
One of the solutions I've found is to play the video with Windows Media Player.
But, there's a part in KMPlayer settings called "Audio Resync". You can find it by right clicking on the screen, then:
Playback-->Audio Resync.

P.S.: I don't have this problem with Premiere exported videos, but with AfterEffects.

Shahriar wrote:

I've encountered this problem before, when playing the video with KMPlayer.
One of the solutions I've found is to play the video with Windows Media Player.
But, there's a part in KMPlayer settings called "Audio Resync". You can find it by right clicking on the screen, then:
Playback-->Audio Resync.

P.S.: I don't have this problem with Premiere exported videos, but with AfterEffects.

Okay, so next step: download KMPlayer then try that.

(Also, here is a link to an example of what's been going on with it. The audio begins in sync, but then slowly moves out of sync as the video goes on.)

Youtube]

One possible cause of the issue you're dealing with has to do with a discrepancy in frame rates. The standard "24p" and "30p" framerates for digital video are not actually 24 fps and 30 fps. They are 23.976 and 29.97 frame rates. The reasons are a technical thing that involves a lot of math, here's a fairly detailed explanation. If your video is edited in 23.976 frames per second, and played back at 24.000 fps, you're going to have a gradual sliding of the audio over the duration until it's out of sync late in the video. So, you need to make sure every stage of the workflow uses the same framerate, either the fractional one or the integer one. I suggest 23.976 or 29.97 because true 24 fps and 30 fps are *very* rare. (30.000 fps is, to my knowledge, basically nonexistent in the pro video world; 24.000 is reserved for movies shot on film).

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Okay. So, after editing and re-editing and checking and re-checking, it seems that I have it all set to 29.97fps, yet it still doesn't understand the fact that I'm trying to *not* have audio lag. I may as well check again, since I really have no other options here, since both the raw footage and the edited video after rendering have 29.97 fps, which I find weird, because only the final video is lagging, whereas the raw footage isn't. Hmmm....

Youtube]

Just curious, I have no idea about this issue, but wouldn't 29.97fps be the wrong framerate for stop-motion purposes? Wouldn't you set your framerate to whatever you animated at?

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

Just curious, I have no idea about this issue, but wouldn't 29.97fps be the wrong framerate for stop-motion purposes? Wouldn't you set your framerate to whatever you animated at?

Indeed, rioforce. You are correct. I mainly posted this here for live-action stuff, since 1. This is mainly the only place where I could get some feedback that may work, and 2. this could pertain to anyone who is looking to add live-action things into their stopmotion.

Youtube]