Topic: Thinking about changing my logo

I hope this doesn't seem too off-topic, I wasn't sure which forum section to put this in. Anyway, as you may know if you watch my films, I have a logo that appears in most of them, with a bright shinning light, with a black background. As this logo appears, with a sample from Beethoven's symphony No. 9, the title reads: A Light On The Water Picture, although, is also known as LOTW Studios.
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/641926494298763264/HTiJUIVX.png
The effect to make this logo, however is a very common feature, which comes with Windows Live Movie Maker. I am considering perhaps replacing my logo with something that is more my own, however, I am not sure how I will be able to do this, as I would need to do it without any expensive software, because I can't really afford that sort of thing right now. Have you got any suggestions on what would make a good logo, in an inexpensive way or, shall I say, without any costs whatsoever?

Re: Thinking about changing my logo

First, sketch it on paper. No piece of software will design you a logo. You have to know what you want. Second, once you have your draft finalized, you can pick out your software. For free software, Inkscape and GIMP are good solutions.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

You gotta dig deep. Find out what you want your online persona to be, what it means, how it affects people, etc.. A logo does more than look good and tell the viewer who the creation belongs to. It's not just some colors put together, there's meaning behind everything. You logo has to mean something to you, so dig deep and think about what you want your logo to mean–what is says to people, even if they don't know what it means. Have allusions to things if you like, anything. As rio said, GIMP and Inkscape are good programs. Inkscape is a vector program, which I'm partial to when designing logos.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Thanks for the advice. I'm downloading GIMP right now. I'll give it a shot  mini/smile

I'd probably avoid a raster program like photoshop or gimp for logo designing, since this would allow for little flexibility moving forward. For example, if you decided to change the size of your logo, or derive another logo from it, it would loose its appeal very quickly saved in a raster format. I'd strongly recommend designing it using vector graphics, and save your main logo file as the vector based program you use, then whenever you need a version of the logo, export it to raster with whatever settings you need.

I preferably use Adobe Illustrator, since it works seamlessly across the Adobe programs, but that does cost an arm and a leg to purchase the program. If you had a design idea, I might have the time to make your logo in Illustrator, but I can't design it for you. Otherwise, I'm sure there are good vector programs out there.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

If you are looking for free vector graphic programs Inkscape is the obvious choice, although I have never found a free open source program better then anything Adobe offers.

Legocloniac477 wrote:

You gotta dig deep. Find out what you want your online persona to be, what it means, how it affects people, etc.. A logo does more than look good and tell the viewer who the creation belongs to. It's not just some colors put together, there's meaning behind everything. You logo has to mean something to you, so dig deep and think about what you want your logo to mean–what is says to people, even if they don't know what it means. Have allusions to things if you like, anything. As rio said, GIMP and Inkscape are good programs. Inkscape is a vector program, which I'm partial to when designing logos.

Agreed. There has to be meaning behind your logo, otherwise it doesn't... mean... anything (was that redundant? Probably). Sort of like my logo and name. Semicolon Studios has meaning to me. It reminds me of battles fought and won from many different aspects, both physically and mentally. As for the Semicolon logo itself, I wanted it to remain simple and easy to recognize, so I went with a ";" in the Times New Roman Font because that was simple enough yet it represents me. Make sure your logo has meaning to it before you make it, is essentially what I'm trying to say here.

Where Creativity Meets Logic.
Youtube]