Topic: If You Had Picked a Different Name

Many of us here on BiM have studio names or aliases or names for their Youtube channel. So, if you were to pick a different name for any of those things, what would it be? Is there a reason behind your current name and/or alternate name? Share it here. mini/smile

I thought about this one when I changed my name from Flimsy Brik Studios to Semicolon Studios about 8 months ago because of a topic we were discussing in Math class that day. We were learning about parabolas, exponential functions, etc. and someone (me) asked the question "Hey, Mr. Anderson, can you have a sideways parabola?" And he told me that it was possible, but super complicated. But the way I thought about it, a sideways parabola was extremely simple. Since a regular parabola was y=x^2, so that meant that a sideways parabola was x=y^2, right? Mr. Anderson didn't think so. Later, during Advisement (study hall), I looked it up on my phone. And I was right. So, I nonchalantly strolled into the Math room and said "Hey, Mr. Anderson. Take a look at my phone right quick." His exact words were "Well I'll be darned," which was a somewhat normal reply being that Mr. Anderson is a complete nut, with his Chuck Norris jokes and his terrible Math Jokes. So that made me consider the name "Sideways Parabola" for my Youtube Channel, but I still ended up going with "Semicolon Studios," as that is somewhat of an inside joke between my family and I (having to do with the large intestine, or colon).

Where Creativity Meets Logic.
Youtube]

Re: If You Had Picked a Different Name

I am trying to think up a more imaginative name for my channel instead of just "Tims Videos". I want it to be more unique instead of plain.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Well, I came up with the name headpods because, for some reason, I get mix up with the Apple's earpods with headphones mini/confused Normally, I call my headphone (or any headphones) headpods because I get confused mini/lol . If I had to change my name, I would call it Sorry Animations. I like to say sorry alot, just to get people annoyed of me. mini/XD

Making Motion  Youtube

I started with a rather amateurish name back on an old YouTube channel I'd rather not share, for it has two animations and both I did in about an hour years ago and as a result are quite poor. Let's just say it had the word LEGO in it, and the word Star Wars in it, so a change was necessary. LPGPictures was what came next, which I chose because it contains my initials (LPG) and my intentions (to make motion pictures) and is very easy to format into a logo:

L
PICTURES
G

I switched to my real name, Liam Gerety as I felt that the time had come and it was more professional. The one positive about Google+ was that the change was allowed on YouTube with no hiccups. I use LiamG here because I'd rather not bombard people with the full name. In direct answer to your question, I chose my alternate name and made it my current name, twice.

Side note: How does this Mr. Anderson guy become a designated Math teacher and not know basic algebra? Props to you for proving him wrong.

Couldn't really think of a cool sounding screen name on the previous site.
Quite a number of screen names back then were either a '_ Films' or a '_ Studios,' I figure I'd just follow suit.
Also, since my name is indeed Dew and other members of my family help out once in a while with the filming process, 'Dewfilms' also seemed appropriate in that sense.

Eh, I thought about having a more professional sounding studio type of name.
But since I've had this screen name for so long around here and on a couple of other sites, it makes no sense to confuse people by changing it. If I were to make an alternate YouTube channel for other purposes, I might go with something like "Dewey Eyed Productions." (Comical play on words type of titles such as "Dew Drop Inn" were already taken.)

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

I've always been something to do with the initials of my name. KAB Productions, KB Videos, KB Photography all include my initials. I think either lack of creativity or trying to sound more professional than I am.

I haven't used my Youtube channel in a while, except to upload a short animation from a uni assignment. When I get back to brick filming, I think I might make things more simple and less corporation, so I'm not sure if I will stay with KB Videos or not. I'm thinking by doing this I can concentrate more on the animation and less on not animating.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

I think I might change my name soon

I like my current name. I've had it since I made my LEGO.com account many years ago. It's a mixture of Exo-force (a LEGO theme from 2006), and Ryo (a minifigure from that theme). For my "production company" (started in '08), I used have used Bulls-eye Productions, McDonald Live Studios, and Luke Action Films (all of which have no real meaning behind the names, they were just made up). I have used Luke Action Films longer than any of them. However, having a pseudo-name and a company name just makes things confusing, so I recently dropped Luke Action Films and am using "rioforce" exclusively (sometimes saying "Rioforce Animations" if I'm formatting it like a "company" name).

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

There was a guy named Filip on the forums which kept me away from switching to my own first name Philip for many years. I am thinking I want to phase out Smeagol when we rebuild the site. Probably I'd switch to Philip, I am thinking Ergo Possum is too clunky as a username.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Madhouse Productions (or Guy Commanderson) I'm undecided.

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

I'm happy that I transitioned from how I was known (Lord_Of_The_LEGO on Brickfilms.com) to my actual name when BiM was founded. I've also used variations of my name for Twitter and YouTube. I figure I might as well try to associate my online presence with my name, so that when people search for Nathan Wells, I am the first one to pop up.

Unfortunately, I don't have much in the ways of a proper story behind the name "MindGame." It was just something I came up with when one night and I thought it sounded cool (I was just starting out in stop-motion and wanted a "studio" name). There's not a whole lot much else to it, but after a couple years, the name just sort of stuck and I ran with it.

My other variant on the name was ZachMG when I first signed up for YouTube  (my real name and "MindGame" abbreviated to MG). I still have "ZachMG" as part of my channel's name just in case people still recognize me as that, but I'm probably gonna drop it entirely at some point and just stick with MindGame Studios.

I think I might change my youtube to "Peculiar portal productions" but have my name Portal n BiM for easy typing. I randomly like the sound of it and it is also a slight nod to my upcoming film.

Last edited by Smocktopus (September 16, 2015 (02:03pm))

Thinking about it now, I might just go with my real name. Legocloniac477 is weird.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

I have decided to stay Tims Videos

I quite like my name. mini/smile If I had the chance, I would change my YouTube URL from saying tjcjmay (my original YouTube channel name) to Galactic Films. But unfortunately YouTube won't let you change your channel URL. mini/sad

I'd rather be Jam Pot Studios than just jampot. Using my real name as a forum name has never really appealed to me.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Sméagol wrote:

I am thinking I want to phase out Smeagol when we rebuild the site. Probably I'd switch to Philip, I am thinking Ergo Possum is too clunky as a username.

Can't believe you're not considering Heinrich's Maneuvers.

0ldScratch wrote:
Sméagol wrote:

I am thinking I want to phase out Smeagol when we rebuild the site. Probably I'd switch to Philip, I am thinking Ergo Possum is too clunky as a username.

Can't believe you're not considering Heinrich's Maneuvers.

Seconded.

I came up with my name because when I first started my LEGO collection, and hence my filming, was in a second building in our backyard. I'm still quite fond of it, though I realize it's a bit clunky to say, and I'd like the words to be capitalized in my username, like BackyardLegos, which is how I use it elsewhere. I'd perhaps remove the s at the end as well, now that my LEGO knowledge is a bit more robust and I no longer use the s in conversation. I've also dropped the LEGO from my channel name on YouTube, since I'd like to make animations with stuff other than LEGO, if only I had free time.

I originally chose legoguy501 since I was unoriginal; namely, I was (and still am) a guy who loves LEGO, and added the 501 because I was really into Star Wars at the time (501st Legion). I began using this on the BiM chat for over a year, then made an actual account on BiM and a Youtube channel, both furnished with the name.

After a couple of years with this name, I began to want a slightly more professional sounding name, one that I could make a nice logo for. At the time I was really into robotics, and was making a promotional video for the program. After trying a bunch of combinations (and trying to figure out what my logo would look like for each) I decided to go with Robotic Animations. I'll probably keep the name, since it combines two of my greatest interests/hobbies, and holds a little nostalgia with it. Also, I love the logo.

But........If I ever changed the name, it would become Approaching Infinite, based from Calculus (limits) since I love math. It would also act as a reminder that there are no boundaries when it comes to film making and creativity.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes