Topic: Scooby-Doo in 'The Flytrap Fiasco'

Directory Link

Scooby-Doo in 'The Flytrap Fiasco'

YouTube

What's this? The gang have already split up? Velma, Daphne and Fred thought the greenhouse would be the least spooky part of the mansion. Little did they know how wrong they were!

Products received from Warner Bros. Consumer Products and LEGO for content creation purposes.

Thanks again to WB Kids and LEGO for making this video possible, and to SlothPaladin, Dewfilms, AFewGoodFilms and Legocloneaddict for their help during the sound editing process. The next adventure will likely be Partners in Slime, though it will be a longer wait, as I will be going back to university in a few weeks and will want to work on some other projects too in the little time I may have to brickfilm.

There are quite a few bugs in this (I only noticed after I'd rendered that there's an ugly blemish on the lens I animate with) but once again, I'm pretty pleased with this. It's a pretty simple concept (barely a story, more like an anecdotal snippet) and I think I got across all that I wanted to.

Last edited by jampot (September 3, 2015 (10:52am))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Re: Scooby-Doo in 'The Flytrap Fiasco'

Well done, another excellent episode! The only thing I don't understand about this series is why you don't see the whole gang in one film, why is that? That aside, perfect! mini/smile mini/smile mini/wink

William Osborne wrote:

Well done, another excellent episode! The only thing I don't understand about this series is why you don't see the whole gang in one film, why is that? That aside, perfect! mini/smile mini/smile mini/wink

Thanks!

The reason I haven't had them all appear at once is simple: I haven't finished a brickfilm where the concept needs all five of them present yet. Partners in Slime shows them all together briefly, and I've started scripting a museum caper where all five are present, but for the ones I've done so far it would just have cluttered the set and muddled the story having them all present. Misfire Mystery only needed Fred, Shaggy and Scooby, and similarly AAA only needed Shaggy, Scooby, and one other (I went for Daphne).

Hopefully this will whet your appetite for seeing them all on-screen at least until I manage to finish Partners in Slime. They only appear briefly, but they are together at least. mini/smile

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/692/20496153224_1e14604304_c.jpg

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I really liked the animation of the plant, but it just felt like it was a teaser to a bigger thing.  Does the gang return to the mansion?

Greenshirt wrote:

I really liked the animation of the plant, but it just felt like it was a teaser to a bigger thing.  Does the gang return to the mansion?

At some point I'm hoping to at least show what Shaggy and Scooby were doing at the time. This brickfilm's sort of a short vignette more than a full story, if you know what I mean.

Great. I look forward to the next episode mini/bigsmile

Just thought I'd let you know, it says in the description that it was released on the 3rd of January, you might want to change that to September mini/smile

Oh, cheers. Nice spot.

Great job! I like how you can get your voice to imitate the characters so well. You also make good mysteries in only a few minutes.
That itself is a big accomplishment. Keep up the good work! How many of the scooby-doo sets do you own? I would like to get an idea of how many sets it takes to make a good film based off a movie. mini/smile

Raptor Studios wrote:

Great job! I like how you can get your voice to imitate the characters so well. You also make good mysteries in only a few minutes.
That itself is a big accomplishment. Keep up the good work! How many of the scooby-doo sets do you own? I would like to get an idea of how many sets it takes to make a good film based off a movie. mini/smile

Thanks!

I own all five. WB Kids sent me the complete collection to make brickfilms with.

I really enjoyed watching this video. Short and funny, just the way I like it.

I like this little short, but to be honest, the distinct lack of Shaggy and Scooby took away from it. Even thought they didn't play a role in the film, they could have been in the background doing visual gags (like eating sandwiches, walking into the house, etc) just for fun. Just because a character isn't needed doesn't mean they shouldn't be in the film. If you were to take out every character that wasn't needed, you may as well just have one character switching the lever on then off again! I also felt as if this was half-finished story-wise. I thought the ghost would play a role in the film, and maybe the plant was just a small part of a larger plot, but it wasn't.

This is just my little piece of constructive criticism. I really liked the voice actors and the animation. The lighting was also good. I look forward to seeing the next episode. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I agree with rioforce. When I saw the first episode, I thought that you only owned Shaggy, Scooby and Fred. It wasn't until the following episode that I realised that you owned all the figures. Still, great job, and as I said earlier, can't wait for the next one!

If you don't mind, I have another question. How many days does it take to make one of your Scooby-Doo films? (including script and pre-production)

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@rioforce I know what you mean, but I don't like throwing characters in for the sake of it, especially not when the set was so small. Plus I want to do another one soon that shows what Shaggy and Scooby were doing at the same time, and I'm considering ideas for a third in this 'Enter the Mystery Mansion' miniseries where they all meet up.

It's not like I don't intend to show them all at the same time, because I have plenty of plans for stories involving them all, but as when I approach most IPs nowadays I don't want to stick 100% to the material's format. Fan fiction is great for exploring other characters, and indeed the Scooby gang will only be minor characters in Partners in Slime, which centres on two of the 'monsters'.

@Raptor it depends. This and the first one only took three or four days to animate but I would have been faster if I hadn't been out most of the days. Editing I normally spread out over a couple of days so I don't go mad ;P so maybe a week and a bit. Sometimes I have to wait a while on VAs too but Leacock in particular is worth the wait.

Last edited by jampot (September 10, 2015 (03:18am))