Topic: Anyone else having webcam problems with Windows 10?

My dad recently updated our laptop to Windows 10, and for some reason my Quickcam Pro 9000 just refuses to work.

When I open the Logitech software, the display window is just black. And 9 times out of 10, the program freezes. Helium Frog just say "Source Setup Problem" on startup. I have tried re-installing the drivers, and it hasn't worked. I'm not really sure what to do from here. mini/sad

Re: Anyone else having webcam problems with Windows 10?

Oh, that sounds like the Windows 8 Error for Helium Frog.

Not sure why the Logitech software won't work...
Do you have the latest version of the software?
Any other cameras to test it on?
Tried Compatibility Mode?
Are you sure that old of camera is compatible with Windows 8? Wouldn't see why not, but it's a possibility.

This is exactly why I refuse to upgrade.
Want to finish my current project and then wait until all these kinds of bugs are worked out.

I just googled it, and  this website I found seems to say that it's compatible with windows 10. You might have something wrong with your webcam, or your computer.

I tried my Quickcam Pro 9000 on Windows 10 (and Windows 8.1) and it works perfectly. I have no idea why it wouldn't work, unless it's camera side, or you got the wrong drivers. My Logitech capture software is also up to date. This seems to be a thing that doesn't happen on every computer, only some.

Have you tried going to Device Manager, finding the webcam (I found it under Sound, video, and game controllers, but it's also under Imaging Devices, and other places), and uninstalling it completely? That may help it.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Huh....

I completely uninstalled it from device manager and reinstalled it via drivers from the Logitech website. I also just tried running Helium Frog and the Logitech software in compatibility mode to no avail. It's really odd, and very annoying as I was just about to begin animating. mini/sad

I found a solution to the source setup problem when I got it on Windows 8 with a Logitech c920. Hopefully it'll work for Windows 10 too.

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

Well that solves the source setup problem, but there's still no video display. The built in webcam doesn't work either, so I think it's more of a video card issue. I tried updating the drivers but apparently they're up to date. I'm stumped. mini/blankexpression

So my camera works in Skpye. But it still won't work in Helium Frog or the windows Camera app. Someone please help I've spent hours trying to fix it, I feel like snapping this laptop in half. mini/sad

I am also unable to get Helium Frog to work with Windows 10 mini/sad

I guess it is quite a dated program but despite that I am yet to find a decent replacement for free. MonkeyJam's lack of onion skinning, high resolution issue and weird playback functionality makes it unsuitable for me.

I'm not sure what I'm going to frame capture with now. Any recommendations for Windows and webcams?

It's a shame the BISCUIT project never really got anywhere, I mean there was lots of enthusiasm but I think most of the people working on it (me included) lacked the technical abilities to actually make it. Also there was the classic case of trying to run before walking. I'm pretty sure it had Canon D-SLR support before it could even sequence frames...

Boats Animator

Just a quick note to you all. to give you a few pointers if you are having problems.

There are a few versions of helium frog knocking about that have been re zipped and put online that may not work. Get a proper copy from the Helium Frog website and you may find that it works OK.

Any version you find that "Installs" it on your computer is a bad idea. Helium frog isn't installed software. Its portable software. Its just an executable .exe file that you put anywhere (with its supporting files and directory) and it just runs when executed. It doesn't alter the registry and place itself into windows. Deleting the install directory deletes everything back to where you were.

Don't load a new copy back in the same directory that you are having problems with as any corrupted files may still be there and not overwritten. Remove your old copy and try a new copy in another directory (or on your desktop or on a USB thumb drive). A usb thumb drive is a good idea as you can take it with you and test it on a friends computer. Like I said its portable software.

Browse to the Helium Frog install directory and delete the CaptureFormatData.mt file. This logs the previous user settings / source list. This is why a badly re zipped file might not work as it has the last users computer settings and source device in there. The solution that another user posted above I suspect is basically doing this in a round about way which is why its working. Well done by the way for your persistance!

A lot of people who email me are also not unzipping the software correctly. They open winzip, click just one file in the list and hit unzip. This the unzips just the.exe file and no supporting files, so the program doesn't run. So open winzip and just hit unzip. you then get all the files decompressed correctly including all the sound and skins files.

Helium Frog will not work with DSLR cameras (unless they have a USB webcam mode which most don't) DSLR cameras don't usually stream data well as the sensor overheats and distorts the image. Some of the new "Bridge" type cameras might work, but you will just have to give them a go.

If your camera doesn't work in other software you have on your computer it is certainly a driver problem or DirectX issue and not anything wrong with helium frog.

Check out the FAQ here as it might help

http://www.heliumfrog.com/Helium_Frog/h … ogFAQ.html

I hope this helps you out. Happy Animating

Martin Price www.HeliumFrog.com

Free Animation Software at www.HeliumFrog.com

As Martin suggested deleting CaptureFormatData.mt appears to have fixed Helium Frog for me post the Windows 10 upgrade mini/smile

Boats Animator