Topic: BRAWL 2015 Starts NOW!
BRAWL has Begun!
Brickfilm Rapidly All Week Long or BRAWL, challenges you to make a brickfilm in exactly one week. Starting now, you have one week to script, animate, edit, and upload a film. Any entries not received by 12:00 am (00:00) GMT on July 26, 2014 (Greenwich Mean Time) will be disqualified. It's a challenge, but you'll enjoy it!
Theme & MOD Elements
The theme for BRAWL 2015 is Focus. This can be interpreted a number of ways. For example, it can be integrated into the story of your film, a character's personality, or in your approach to creating the film. We encourage taking creative license in your interpretation of the theme. As long as the theme can be identified in your film.
If you don't know what MOD elements are, please watch the following video in addition to reading the rules.
There are two kinds of MOD elements, the first MOD element is a color MOD. This year, the color MOD element is a RED] piece connected to or touching a BLACK piece. The second MOD element is a letter MOD. This year, the letter MOD is the character "Y". To prove that you made your film within the time limit, at least one of the MOD elements must appear in every shot of your animation.
You do not need to use both MOD elements. You can combine these MOD elements in any way that you see fit, so long as at least one is present at all times. You could choose to use just the color MOD or just the letter MOD, you could choose to use both, you could alternate between scenes, or any combination of the above. All that is important is that at least one of the MOD elements be visible in every shot.
• The Y may be upper or lower case, but it still must be clearly a Y. The Y can be rotated but not mirrored. It must be clearly identifiable as that letter. It may be written or printed on a piece of paper or sticker, drawn directly onto a brick, printed on a piece, or built from pieces and even integrated into the set.
• The letter MOD element may exist on a printed LEGO piece, but it must clearly be that letter. An eyebrow or wrinkle on a minifig’s face, or a fold in the shirt on the minifig's torso are not letters.
• The color red can be a dark or light red (pink is NOT considered light red). However, only the color black can be used for black, shades of gray do not count.
• The MOD Element may NOT be inserted digitally. It must be physically present in the shot.
• You do not need to include either MOD element in the titles or credits.
• If a shot must be clarified by changing the shot in anyway (i.e. changing brightness, black and white to color, & etc) to be able to identify the mod element, the shot will not count as containing the mod element.
In addition, films must clearly show the linked BRAWL 2015 logo for three uninterrupted seconds. The logo may be inserted digitally.
Rules & Requirements
• Your film must follow the theme and include a MOD element in every shot (more information in "Theme & MOD Elements").
• Entries must be received by 12:00 am (00:00) GMT on July 26, 2015 (Greenwich Mean Time).
• Films must be animated and must be primarily composed of stop motion animation. Flash, 3D, or other animation techniques may be used to supplement stop-motion but, it may not be the main focus.
• Films must contain LEGO or similar 'brick' construction toys, such as MEGA Bloks.
• There must be at least 30 seconds of animation in the film. There is no maximum length.
• Films may not contain adult language, racist content, excessive graphic violence (blood and/or gore) or sexual themes.
• You may make up the three entries. If more than three films are submitted, the first three films received will be accepted. Any films received after the first three will be disqualified.
• You may NOT make your film public until after the deadline.
• Films must clearly show the linked BRAWL 2015 logo for three uninterrupted seconds. The logo may be inserted digitially.
• Time travel is not allowed, the point of BRAWL is you only have one week to make a film.
If any of the above rules are not met, your film will be disqualified.
• Joint entries (collaborations) are allowed, but please specify every person or group involved with the creation of the film when submitting.
• While copyrighted/trademarked properties are allowed, you are discouraged from basing your movie off of pre-existing films or franchises (Star Wars, Marvel, & etc.). Create your own characters! Creativity is encouraged and awarded in BRAWL.
• Copyrighted, royalty-free, and original music pieces may all be used during BRAWL; original music pieces do not have to be made during the one week time limit.
• While the rules do not require entries to be spoken in the English language, it is recommended that your film use the English language. This is because the judging panel's first language is English. This is not meant to discourage you from making your entry in a language other than English. In fact, please refer to the "Submission" section of the contest announcement to see rules on additional time that can be used for subtitles.
Please send all entries to [email protected] with the title [“Your name or studio” BRAWL 2015 Entry]. The body of the email should include the title of the film and a link to your film. Your entry must be sent in by 12:00 am (00:00) GMT on July 26, 2015 (Greenwich Mean Time), any entries sent after this time will be disqualified.
Entries must be uploaded to one of these websites…
1. YouTube, upload your video unlisted.
2. Vimeo, upload your video with password protection, please make sure to send the password and not just the video link.
If you did a collaboration, include the names (username or otherwise) of everybody who helped you out with your film, in your email.
I will send a response email as soon as I see you have provided a working video link. I will send a follow-up email if I find a problem with your film (e.g. a missing MOD element). Please note, if you are sending in your film the last day of the contest. A verification that your video follows all the rules may not be sent before the deadline as I receive about 80% of the entries the last day. Please check your video to make sure it is compliant with all rules before you send it to me.
You are welcome to make your films public AFTER the deadline, but before then, keep your video private. You'll be disqualified for releasing your entry before the deadline.
Optionally, for entries whose primary language is NOT in the English language, a second version of the film may be submitted 48 hours after the deadline with added English subtitles so the judges have a better understanding of the film. In order to submit the subtitled film, the following criteria must be met:
• An entry must have been submitted before the one week deadline (July 26, 2015 12:00 am (00:00) GMT).
• The subtitled entry will be a modified version of the entry submitted before the one-week deadline. The only change that can be made is English subtitles being added. No extra shots, no extra audio, not even a change in color grade. If any changes are found, the subtitled entry will be considered void and the previously submitted non-subtitled entry will be judged.
• The subtitled entry must be submitted no later than 48 hours after the end of the BRAWL contest (July 28, 2015 12:00 am (00:00) GMT
The judging process will work as follows, each judge will watch every film. After watching, each judge will rank their personal top 10 films. Each of the judge's lists will then be run through a system that utilizes instant run-off voting to create a top ten reflective of all the judges. The judges will then adjust the top ten list as a group until they're satisfied with the outcome.
Judges will consider the following when watching the films: originality, production value (animation, set design, cinematography, sound, etc.), story, and creative interpretation of the theme. While the parts of the film are considered, the most important quality the judges look for is how the film works as a whole.
The top three films determined by the judges will each receive a $25 gift card to Brick Warriors store. Thanks to Brick Warriors for generously providing the prizes!
If there is a "+" next to your name, your entry was received without any issues. If you have a "–" there is a problem with your film, the problem will be indicated next to your name.
+ Goblin Animations
+ The Motion Hero
+ Dynamite Narwhal
+ Headpods Productions
- BlackSmillFilms (Film missing logo)
+ Madpencilman Films
+ Ahmari Ly-Johnson
+ Noah Sprague
+ Lucas Mass
+ Onecras Films
+ Spearwood Productions
+ Tims Videos
+ END Films
+ Liam Gerety
+ The Login Productions
- Wammy first entry (no animation)
- Wammy second entry (missing logo)
+ Wammy third entry
+ Mr Vertigo
+ Harborlight Productions
+ Psychic Animations
+ Kristo Animations
Support, Updates, & Other
If you have any questions, there are several places you can reach me.
1. This thread
2. Email ([email protected])
3. The BiM Chat Room
While I do NOT expect there to be any updates to the rules. I reserve the right to change the rules in the unlikely event there is a problem. Any updates will be posted here and will be made quickly apparent to the public.
If you want to post progress about your film on BiM, that's fine! Just don't post updates in this thread, instead, post them in this thread.
Need various BRAWL 2015 logos? Get them here.
Don't forget to use the hashtag #BRAWL2015 when posting about the contest on your social media accounts.
Last edited by Fun Sucker (July 25, 2015 (05:49pm))