Topic: Brickfilm of the Week: Reality (What a Concept!) (June 26, 2015)

This week’s Brickfilm of the Week is Reality (What a Concept!) by Mark Butler.

Reality (What a Concept!) is a drama brickfilm by Mark Butler about a man who has destroyed reality. It was made in 2004 for the A Peculiar Event contest and ultimately won third place. Mark Butler was a member of Brickfilms.com, and only made three films: Reality (What a Concept!), Extreme Preparation, and Extreme Delivery.

Watch Reality (What a Concept!) on the Brickfilm Archive

http://i.imgur.com/ymlBaoM.png

SPOILERY DISCUSSION BELOW!

Normally, even though I mark this part of the post with a huge spoiler warning, I don’t discuss many spoilers. Not this time. Reality (What a Concept!) is a clever existential brickfilm about a man who destroys reality and talks to a giant unknown face. There are some cool ideas and visuals explored in this film, including the giant talking head itself, and the shrinking reality bubble as the main character Mark runs away. But Reality (What a Concept!) doesn’t end when Mark disappears. Instead, an abrupt plot twist appears, revealing that it was just scientists trying to get into Mark’s bank account. This twist puts everything else in the film in a different light, and leads me to ask: was it a good twist? Personally, I’m not the biggest fan. I feel it undermines the rest of the story when it’s revealed to be a ruse, like the lackluster reveal in the film The Village. I like Reality (What a Concept!) a lot, but I generally disregard the twist ending, because the film stands up wonderfully without it.

What are your thoughts on Reality (What a Concept!)? What did you like about it? What did you think of the twist ending? Did you have a favorite moment?

Re: Brickfilm of the Week: Reality (What a Concept!) (June 26, 2015)

Interesting. I think the twist ending cheapens the animation somehow. It reduces an extraordinary idea to a humdrum level.

I didn't mind the twist ending, but I feel like this is a case where leaving it open ended (after the face started asking for his bank info) could have been a reasonable possibility. Leave it up to the viewer to decide why the face is asking for such personal info.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I, too, thought it was a cool concept yet would have preferred it without the ending.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I'm going to disagree with you (because apparently that's what I do best), and say I actually enjoyed the twist ending. Yes, it might cheapen the animation somehow; yes, it would stand by its own even without it.
But here, it caused me the first (and last) real laugh of the video, and it actually has great timing. As the story goes along, it grows, it makes itself more important, to the point that you start to think it's a great existential, philosophical brickfilm. And it's not, it destroys completely all expectations, it brings it down to a bunch of peopole trying to get information from this man. For me, it takes a lot of guts to decide to do that to your audience, and I appreciated that. It's not existential, he holds the answer to nothing, it's not ambitious nor presumptuos, and he reminds us that, he's onest: it's just a joke. I loved that.

Plus, it's actually fun to think about those scientists trying to come up with these ideas: it's a twist ending wich still leaves us without knowing anything about anyone. Remains as open ended as without it, the only thing that changes it's that now it has one more laugh (besides, it's better and cleverer than the usual "ah, it's a dream" twist ending).

I'm with MPfist0 on this one. The twist may have destroyed expectations, but I think the film is better and more entertaining for it. And as was said, it's still very open-ended and unexplained. If anything, this raises even more questions.

I also think it's interesting making use of Megabloks figures as the 'bad guys.' It gives you an instant disliking for them, and makes you side even more so with the poor fellow in the chair.

That was enjoyably bizarre though I agree with the consensus that it didn't need an ending as simple as that and would have perhaps been better with reality just stopping.

Got Brickfilms if you want em'
Youtube Channel | Twitter | Insta