Topic: Cheap DSLR camera?

I'm looking for a cheap camera that has a firewire port. My current camera doesn't have one and it doesn't have live feed, and that just makes the whole process of stop-motion less precise mini/blankexpression What kind of DSLR camera should be recommended for a beginner stop-motion artist ?

Re: Cheap DSLR camera?

I wouldn't go for a DSLR with a firewire port, but rather a mini usb port.

Firewire is becoming rare in camera's and even computers. When you get a new computer, it might not have a firewire port built in. Mini-usb will be around for much longer as it is a more universal choice for most companies.

I suggest looking into the entry-level DSLR's. They can cost around $300 depending on where you look. I, myself have the Canon T2i, otherwise known as the Canon 550D. It's a great camera, and it's successor, the T3i/600D is even better as it has a fold-out screen. If you can't buy these, then go for the Canon 1100D, I believe it's the 'most entry-level' DSLR out there.

If you would like to go with a Nikon, their D3000 range is also good at a low price. I believe their bottom entry-level DSLR is the Nikon D3100. Correct me if I am wrong.

LMDigitalMovies wrote:

I wouldn't go for a DSLR with a firewire port, but rather a mini usb port.

Firewire is becoming rare in camera's and even computers. When you get a new computer, it might not have a firewire port built in. Mini-usb will be around for much longer as it is a more universal choice for most companies.

If you can't buy these, then go for the Canon 1100D, I believe it's the 'most entry-level' DSLR out there.

Does mini-usb enable live preview?

$300 is quite a lot of money for me... I have another camera right now: I have a Sony  DSC-HX100V (cybershot). This camera doesn't have firewire, only usb, and because of that, I can't use the live preview modes in stop-motion programmes mini/sad

Well if you get a DSLR, even cheap, you would have to buy a lense(s). So I don't think you would be able to get something lower than $300. I may be wrong.

I recommend getting the Logitech c920 webcam. It will work with your software, and it is pretty good! Cheap also! $70

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

LMDigitalMovies wrote:

If you would like to go with a Nikon, their D3000 range is also good at a low price. I believe their bottom entry-level DSLR is the Nikon D3100. Correct me if I am wrong.

The D3100 is discontinued. It didn't support live view on the computer anyway. I think (don't quote me on this) that the D3200 or D3300 have computer live view, but since they aren't old cameras, they don't come cheap. (But I'd recommend a Canon DSLR anyway).

Yassin wrote:

Does mini-usb enable live preview?

$300 is quite a lot of money for me... I have another camera right now: I have a Sony  DSC-HX100V (cybershot). This camera doesn't have firewire, only usb, and because of that, I can't use the live preview modes in stop-motion programmes mini/sad

It's not the port that enables live preview, it's the camera. Almost no DSLRs have firewire output. They all use mini-USB now, and, if the camera allows and supports it, it does allow live preview.

However, you won't find a decent DSLR for less than 300 dollars. You may look on eBay though, but even then, it's not guaranteed to work. DSLRs are large investments. The cost never really stops at 300 dollars. You have to buy accessories, bags, lenses, etc, etc, etc...

With that being said, I too agree with Harborlight that you should look into getting a Logitech c920. It's the best webcam out there, and is used by brickfilmers like Walter Benson and Pritchard Studios. It's also rather affordable (sorry, I'm repeating everything Harbor said). If you don't like the price in the store or on Amazon, go to eBay and look.

In short, there is no such thing as a "cheap DSLR".

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

In short, there is no such thing as a "cheap DSLR".

That pretty much sums it up. mini/tongue

I second with Harborlight and rio, Logitech c920 all the way. Works great.

If you're a beginner, and don't want to spend $300, I'm not sure if I would recommend a DSLR just yet. I just spent $300 to get a used T3i, and that was just the body, no lens included.

For your needs, I'd really recommend getting a webcam. Logitech ones are great for brickfilming and all run for less than $100.

To echo what harborlight said, just getting the DSLR won't be enough to start brickfilming. You'll need lenses, as even if your camera comes with one because it probably won't be a macro. And these lenses will probably run you like $65 at least. Along with that you'll need an AC adapter to keep power flowing to the camera.

Really, I'd recommend honing your skills with a webcam before putting up any money for a DSLR, which like Rio said, ain't eva  gon' be cheap. A DSLR requires you to have a reasonably larger skill set than a webcam does to make anything slightly good looking. I've used the C910 since I started in 2011, and it has served me well. I'd definitely recommend the C920 like everyone else, though.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Total DSLR cost setup tends to run from $700 - $900,  I really don't think it's worth it if you aren't getting a proper frame grabber like Dragonframe and a macro lens.  Webcams are.really the best 'budget' option, if you really do want a DSLR you should look for a Canon or Nikon from this list that has live view support http://www.dragonframe.com/camera.php

Yes, do not underestimate the hidden costs associated with a DSLR. Lenses, better software, and potentially better rigging as far as a tripod or other equipment to place the camera become necessary and these things add up to much more than the price of the camera body if you're doing them properly. Webcams like the C920 provide a good image for a much lower price.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png