Topic: History of the World

Directory Link

History of the World

YouTube

A short video summarizing human history into approximately one minute. Made with Lego stop motion for a World History class.

Music: "Black Vortex" and "Nerves" both by Kevin MacLeod

Re: History of the World

I absolutely LOVE this.   Historical montages are among my favorite types of film.  Everything here wrenched every ounce of drama.  For a short brickfilm, you had to build a lot of sets.

One of the things that goes into this kind of film is that conscious decisions you must make at to which events or social eras are to be included and which ones are left out.  Did you exclude anything you wanted for the sake of time?  I'd like to know more about your decision-making process.

A couple changes I would have done is add the moon landing, (actually you did!) and not to portray the hippie as just an innocent bystander.  They were as violent as the police of the late 1960s.  Still giving it 5 bricks!

DO MORE FILMS LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS... what does a Stormtrooper have to do with the Great Depression?

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (June 5, 2015 (06:14am))

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

I absolutely LOVE this.   Historical montages are among my favorite types of film.  Everything here wrenched every ounce of drama.  For a short brickfilm, you had to build a lot of sets.

One of the things that goes into this kind of film is that conscious decisions you must make at to which events or social eras are to be included and which ones are left out.  Did you exclude anything you wanted for the sake of time?  I'd like to know more about your decision-making process.

A couple changes I would have done is add the moon landing, (actually you did!) and not to portray the hippie as just an innocent bystander.  They were as violent as the police of the late 1960s.  Still giving it 5 bricks!

DO MORE FILMS LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS... what does a Stormtrooper have to do with the Great Depression?

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it!

Most of my decisions were based on significance and minifigure/set availability. There were some eras, like ancient Chinese dynasties, that I wanted to include but couldn't because I didn't have any sets, and some events that I thought were pretty minor and decided to avoid.
You can see one example of the decision-making process, the gladiator scene. The story behind this was that I wanted to include something from the Roman Empire era but lacked the sets and figures. I ended up using the Gladiator figures because they were the only thing I had.

Thanks for the headsup on the hippie bit - the scene itself was last-minute, but I wasn't aware of this information. Also, the Stormtrooper was an 'easter egg'. mini/bigsmile

That was great! I loved how you went through all of history, and you did it in a pretty well.

The animation was good, though there were some parts that were a little choppy. You can look into the easing in and easing out technique is you want to improve on that. The lighting was fine, but what was definitely one of the best things here was your sound! I thought you had some pretty good sounds, and it definitely improved the overall feel of the film. One thing I'd consider next time you making a film is more variety with your angles. Pretty much all the camera angles were long or medium shot. When doing battle scenes, I'd recommend having more shots. Try this and they will come out with a much better feel and more tension.

Man I wish I could do stop motion for school...:P

Keep it up 88TF!

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

This was a pretty nice film! I think you could have gotten a little more creative with some of the scenarios (Instead of having one of the Wright brothers just stand in front of the plane, maybe have him sit in the plane/fly it), I really enjoyed the way a lot of them were presented, and the sound design to go along with them.

All in all, great job! I look forward to more stuff from you.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]