Topic: Trevor the Clown Episode 9: The BIG Wish

Directory Link

Trevor the Clown Episode 9: The BIG Wish

Link 1

Here is the latest episode we created. Trevor comes upon a mysterious fortune teller machine and decides to try his luck!

Re: Trevor the Clown Episode 9: The BIG Wish

You are improving! Your lighting was much better, so was your framing. Your animation is still a bit jerky, but you've improved since the last installment of this series. I found the large titles to be annoying, because they came up in quick succession. I would have preferred bottom subtitles, personally. Though, mimes don't speak, so the mime in the beginning shouldn't have spoken. (That's just a personal critique though) mini/wink

Keep up the good work!

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

You are improving! Your lighting was much better, so was your framing. Your animation is still a bit jerky, but you've improved since the last installment of this series. I found the large titles to be annoying, because they came up in quick succession. I would have preferred bottom subtitles, personally. Though, mimes don't speak, so the mime in the beginning shouldn't have spoken. (That's just a personal critique though) mini/wink

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, I appreciate the comments and the mime not talking I kind of thought would be okay (in my head) since he was alone, as in mimes surely talk when they think no one is around, lol.. maybe, i dont know.

Anyway, how can I get rid of some of the jerkiness of my animation. Is it overall jerky or just in certain spots like some of the more action scenes. I am only doing 15 fps and thought about moving up, but I am worried about the timing and learning curve because I am just getting comfortable with 15fps.

Also I am releasing it in color as well. If anyone is interested they can visit my channel.

I great video for smoother animation is this one that demonstrates the technique of easing in and out.

xxgbhxx wrote:
rioforce wrote:

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, I appreciate the comments and the mime not talking I kind of thought would be okay (in my head) since he was alone, as in mimes surely talk when they think no one is around, lol.. maybe, i dont know.

Anyway, how can I get rid of some of the jerkiness of my animation. Is it overall jerky or just in certain spots like some of the more action scenes. I am only doing 15 fps and thought about moving up, but I am worried about the timing and learning curve because I am just getting comfortable with 15fps.

Also I am releasing it in color as well. If anyone is interested they can visit my channel.

Greenshirt mentioned easing, but that isn't really it, I don't think (sure, you should practice up on easing, but what I mean is that it isn't the main issue). And it's not the framerate either. 15fps is fine. In fact, a lot of professional animators use 12 and it comes out great.
I think a lot of the jerkeyness comes from the large movements you make in your animation. Your animation is quite fast paced, which is directly related to the jerkeyness. You should probably make smaller movements in your animation. For faster movements, of course, you want to not capture as many frames, but for normal movements, capturing more frames is necessary.

I hope this helps. If you need anymore help or clarification, feel free to ask. mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite

rioforce wrote:

I think a lot of the jerkeyness comes from the large movements you make in your animation. Your animation is quite fast paced, which is directly related to the jerkeyness. You should probably make smaller movements in your animation. For faster movements, of course, you want to not capture as many frames, but for normal movements, capturing more frames is necessary.

I hope this helps. If you need anymore help or clarification, feel free to ask. mini/smile

Alright, so for instance my walking cycles are fine, but like when the mime kicks the bush, that is too jerky, or is the walking also jerky? I try to add things with each video so I will focus on the easing in and out a little more, even though you said that was not my main issue, it cannot hurt because I know about reaction in regards to beginning movements, just haven't been focusing on it. I shot all of the frames for this in just a few hours, felt rushed because another project I had been working on fell apart so I just wanted to get something out to make myself feel better.

xxgbhxx wrote:

Alright, so for instance my walking cycles are fine, but like when the mime kicks the bush, that is too jerky, or is the walking also jerky? I try to add things with each video so I will focus on the easing in and out a little more, even though you said that was not my main issue, it cannot hurt because I know about reaction in regards to beginning movements, just haven't been focusing on it. I shot all of the frames for this in just a few hours, felt rushed because another project I had been working on fell apart so I just wanted to get something out to make myself feel better.

When I said that easing wasn't your main issue, I didn't mean that you shouldn't practice easing. Yes, you need to practice your easing. I just meant that it wasn't the only problem.

As for you walk cycles, they could probably use a bit of work. They seem too fast and kind of wobbly. Here's a great tutorial from Nathan Wells on a 15fps walk cycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojxKhLtmimY

As for the other movements, just making smaller movements is a good idea to reduce jerkeyness. mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite