Topic: Black Panther: The Gold Vibranium

Directory Link

Black Panther: The Gold Vibranium

YouTube

A dangerous new type of vibranium metal has surfaced, and it's up to Black Panther and White Tiger to stop A.I.M. from getting their hands on it.

Finished this a bit ahead of time, which I'm chuffed about. There are quite a few bugs with this, and scenes that didn't come out as planned, but overall I'm happy with it. I also didn't expect it to turn out this long! Stay tuned for more brickfilms, both Marvel and original.

See more MBU videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaiuOY … /playlists

Why not learn more about the Marvel Brickfilm Universe? The project now has a wiki!
http://marvelbrickfilmuniverse.wikia.co … verse_Wiki

Last edited by jampot (April 26, 2015 (12:10pm))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Re: Black Panther: The Gold Vibranium

Overall I felt that was very good. The story was solid, as was the animation. You could benefit from a little easing in and out.

My main issues with it are my usual with your films, your sound design is quite lacking, and a few moments would've benefited greatly from some music. Otherwise, I found it to be a very enjoyable watch and a great addition to the MBU.

Stay awesome.

Very well done! The story was quite easy to follow and the FX were top notch!!!! My only critique would be that at times the animation felt quite smooth (especially in fight scenes) and other times a little choppy (mainly in dialogue scenes). But apart from that I thought it was very good. Keep it up!!!! mini/bigsmile

Interesting as always!
One issue I found is the high amount of exposition/backstory that isn't balanced by much action or current story.
It seemed that the story got paused a few too many times to explain about ancestors and vibranium and things that were important, and lead to a greater appreciation for the characters and world, but it drew too much focus from the point of the story.

Remember that viewers should never loose track of the main point of the story. In this case, the Gold Vibranium. The flashbacks and backstory helped to support the plot, but they seemed to eat up too much of the screentime, and didn't leave much for what was marketed as the main premise. It also seemed that the story just got going before it ended, a side-effect of the flashbacks backstory taking so much of the script.

As has been pointed out, some of the dialog animation could have been smoother, but the combat animation has come a long way and looks great. The sound design comes off a bit weak, with the whip-like swish being overused pretty badly, a whole jungle's worth of ambient noises being forgotten, and music that comes and goes. I know how hard it is to find good sounds, and how long it takes to work with a film's audio, but viewers can tell the difference between a good sound design, and a great one.

The character designs are great as usual, and you did a fantastic job making the jungle feel thick and dense. The palace set looks clean and rich, and the plants help remind viewers of the jungle surroundings. Like the above post, I have to say the special effects were great. You've gotten pretty good with that greenscreen work, and the other effects were integrated well with the physical elements.

Nice to see this. Black Panther hasn't been done in brick films much. Nice to see you giving the lesser known superheroes their due.

Your animation are great as always, with quite the top notch cast. Fight scenes are looking better than invasion, which is saying something. I'm excited to see what you do with Ultron in future. Seems you are setting up with a big finale with him. Excited to see where the story goes. Good work.

Thanks for the comments guys!

funmiproductions wrote:

Nice to see this. Black Panther hasn't been done in brick films much. Nice to see you giving the lesser known superheroes their due.

It's kind of funny how most of my favourite Marvel characters (Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Namor and so on) are the ones who normally get the least attention. I'm hoping the MBU will give me the chance to explore them more. Strange and Panther will appear again hopefully this year. Part of me wants to do this origin story animation as a brickfilm, though I'd want to put a new spin on it, so that I don't end up doing a shot-for-shot remake.

funmiproductions wrote:

I'm excited to see what you do with Ultron in future. Seems you are setting up with a big finale with him.

There's certainly a strong possibility of that happening mini/bigsmile not sure exactly how, though I have a story in mind and I've done quite a bit of writing.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

One issue I found is the high amount of exposition/backstory that isn't balanced by much action or current story. It seemed that the story got paused a few too many times to explain about ancestors and vibranium and things that were important, and lead to a greater appreciation for the characters and world, but it drew too much focus from the point of the story. Remember that viewers should never loose track of the main point of the story. In this case, the Gold Vibranium. The flashbacks and story helped to support the story, but they seemed to eat up too much of the screentime, and didn't leave much for what was marketed as the main premise. It also seemed that the story just got going before it ended, a side-effect of the flashbacks taking so much of the script.

I'm not sure what you mean by flashbacks, as there are none, but I understand totally about the exposition. This originally started as a much longer brickfilm which I had a ton of ideas for, and the stuff at the Panther shrine was something I fell in love with more than parts of the story. I didn't realise the negative effect that had until you pointed it out, though, and it's definitely noted for future brickfilms. A lot of the stuff surrounding the gold vibranium is setup for a future brickfilm, and again I hadn't realised until now that in this brickfilm it became a MacGuffin in the worst possible way.

One thing I'm glad I cut from the script was the Gorilla Guardian. That would've wrecked it fo sho.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

As has been pointed out, some of the dialog animation could have been smoother, but the combat animation has come a long way and looks great. The sound design comes off a bit weak, with the whip-like swish being overused pretty badly, a whole jungle's worth of ambient noises being forgotten, and music that comes and goes. I know how hard it is to find good sounds, and how long it takes to work with a film's audio, but viewers can tell the difference between a good sound design, and a great one.

Definitely the main thing I need to work on, and you're not the only person to say that either. I'm really badly organised when it comes to my process of sound editing.

Treat me like a beginner: what are your tips? I honestly need to come at this from a different perspective as, aside from my level of light flicker, is the main area that still really bugs me.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Jampot, ForlornCreature would be the better guy to ask. He's got tons of behind-the-scenes stuff where he talks about his sound process. You'll have to dig around to find the videos, but once you do it'll be worth it.

Now, as for this short, the most evident omission is jungle ambient noises. No birds, no bugs, no scary creatures, no plant movement, no wind, no squishy mud, nothing. If you want us to believe in the jungle setting, you have to appeal to both sight and hearing, or the illusion is destroyed. It looked like a great jungle, but if I closed my eyes, I'd have no idea where it was set. You also want various layers to the sound. For example: In the fog, you had a solid wind sound, with little variation. That would be fine, if there were also other wind noises that faded in and out, and side-to-side. With several layers, you get a fuller sound, and one with a lot more detail and complexity.

Another thing is that the whoosh sound just don't sound right. It sounds too thin, with no weight or power behind it. This pack has some great ones, although I've gotten to the place that I overuse them, so watch out for that. You should also remember that everything can potentially make a noise. Stuff falling to the ground, clothes rustling, people grunting while hitting/getting hit. The more sounds the better, just keep the volume balance correct. Basically, you want viewers to have a perfect view of what's going on even without the video.

I suggest having the music track, at least two ambient/atmospheric tracks, and two or three for main/foreground type sounds.
Fights will use a lot of foreground sounds, while slower scenes will need more in the background. Oh, and the awesomeness of stereo sound can never be understated. I highly suggest putting out the effort to place sounds left, right, and all over the place. I did in Secrets in the Shadows, and it sounds much, much better for it.