Topic: Trevor the Clown Episode 4 The Hole Truth

Directory Link

Trevor the Clown Episode 4 The Hole Truth

Youtube

Trevor the clown has lost something and must do whatever it takes to get it back!

Re: Trevor the Clown Episode 4 The Hole Truth

This was a charming video.

Spoiler (click to read)

I really like the visual gag of pulling more things from something than would actually fit.

I also like the idea of a series with the clown.  This is something entirely new to me in brickfilming.  I also liked how the black and white film look matches the color scheme of the clown. 

Your animation was a bit choppy, and at first, I didn't know what the tile of the ground was.  Great job, and I can't wait to see Trevor in his next misadventure.

Thank you. We've only been doing this for a couple of weeks and are still experimenting with walk timing, gestures, reactions, etc.. Lego figures are both limitless and limiting in what you can achieve and then to go the silent movie route is adding that much more complexity to it. I think that our biggest problem is just taking our time, but we get excited and get in a hurry. As for the "hole" I really wanted a round hole, but was limited by the Lego's we have at our disposal so just decided to make it work the best we could, which is why we tried to make up for it with the title, to try and clue you in on that missing story telling element. I appreciate the feedback and look forward to sharing more.

Good job, xxgbhxx! I like the little story of you film. the image quality is good too. Like Greenshirt said, the animation was a bit choppy, but I'm sure you will improve with time. mini/wink I like how the story was told without the use of dialogue.

Did you cut off the minifigure's neck to make it look like his head was in the hole?

Keep it up, and welcome to Bricks in Motion! mini/smile

Last edited by rioforce (April 24, 2015 (10:53am))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Cool film, I liked how you made the shark come out of the portal

YouTube

I'm a Brickfilmer that loves smooth animation and attention to detail.

rioforce wrote:

Did you cut off the minifigure's neck to make it look like his head was in the hole?

Keep it up, and welcome to Bricks in Motion! mini/smile

Yes, we cut a different but similar minifig's neck and the stud for the legs as well. It felt wrong somehow, but we needed it to have as many frames as we could possibly have plus we will have them around if we need them again.

We are fans of silent movies and it's very interesting to see what kind of performances you can get out of a character with just body movements. At times you can almost swear that Trevor's facial expression changes, yet we have not changed any of them yet.

Thanks also for the comment about our image quality. We are using an older Nikon DSLR (D80) with I think is a 55mm lens. It's okay for stop motion, but does not allow us to get in as close as we would like and the depth of field is meh at best. Thinking of finding an 18mm lens and had already planned on upgrading the body sometime later this year as photography is a hobby of ours as well.

Before you get a new lens you might want to read this thread, but a quick fix might be some extention tubes. Keep up the.good work, it was a fun little short.