Topic: Why does nobody like me as a film maker?

Now the title is a little bit broad from the point but why does nobody like me?

When I post a film no one rates it because they think it suck SO much I don't deserve to know how my film did.

When I ask for a casting call for ONE person to voice act for me no one replies because no one cares enough to voice act for someone like ME who isn't one of the top brick filmers!

Why is it so hard on this sight to get people to like you? If you have anything lest than 500 subs your films are passerby on a subway.

Please can someone answer me these questions? I know I am being a bit brash but I have been brick filming for over a year, and I have had my bumps and detours but it seems like with everything I do, it goes to no avail.

Re: Why does nobody like me as a film maker?

I'll speak the unspeakable.  This community is very clique (clicky).  Happens with small communities.  It's the natural order of things.

There.  I said it.  Won't win me friends, and there are exceptions of course, but there ya go.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

I realized that on this site, the people very rarely give out ratings. They really only rate the video from the maker they are friends, or familiar with. You just have to be involved in the community more.

And for voice acting, I really can't explain that. Since I have hard time too. Try directly Pming voice actors you want instead of waiting for them to come to you, because most of the time you have to make the first move. (Unless you make a really spiffy casting call.)

As for getting feedback on your films, some members might not want to because they don't like pointing out a lot of flaws. (I see this in many a new person's film) Would you like me to give you some feedback? I'll put in the time.

(I also don't have the time to give feedback on every film so that could be the case with some other brickfilmers)

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

There a lot of films posted on this website. A lot of them are, sadly, of poor standard. It's really difficult to stand out from the masses. I will say this, making rather generic action films doesn't help your cause particularly.

I know it's hard to not take complete silence personally. It can perpetuate the feeling that there is a 'god-tier' of Brickfilmers that are popular, and no one else matters. But I really don't think that's the case, most of the time.

To others on this site: feedback of any sort is valuable for people starting out. I've only been brave enough to post one thing here, an unfinished film at that, but the reply I got from twickabrick meant the world to me.

Just taking a quick glance over your films, they're either action (police/army) films or Star Wars. I don't mean this as a dig against you or your films, because they could be brilliant and completely subvert the established action brickfilm tropes, but there's such a huge amount of this sort of film floating around Youtube that I don't tend to watch them when they come up on BiM. There are probably other people who feel similarly. By all means, make the films that you want to make, but you have to understand that some types of films are going to be less appealing to people who have seen a fair amount of brickfilms (particularly fights and gunfights).

I think another part of your problem might be that you've only been actively posting on the forums for less than a week now. Posting on the forums is a good way to get other members interested in your films- they see you around reviewing their stuff and they think "hey, I wonder what this guy has made", so they go to your page and look at your films (and if they're nice, return the favor by reviewing one of them). It looks like you're off to a good start in this respect, you just haven't been around for long enough that people know your name. You mention subscriber count in your first post, but in my experience the amount a member participates in the BiM community is a better indicator of how much feedback a film receives.

If you do make army films, there is a youtube community of those people, many of whom don't visit (or know of ) BiM.  You may find it worthwhile to connect with them, converse and hare videos, and comment on theirs.  Also, find war hostory entheusists and tell them of yr works.  I'd love to see all brickfilmers hang here, but they're not, so it's good to broaden your horizon.

I personally like to be active here, as the community has helped me much.  Though it's not my reason, visibility could increase your presence.  Early on, I wondered why I didn't get a lot of attention to my topics, but I realized quickly that such things aren't really important.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

There is more content posted on this site on a regular basis than the average person can take the time to watch and comment, so they tend to focus on films by people whose work they've enjoyed in the past.

I don't think YouTube subscriber count is relevant here, it has more to do with who has a track record of producing quality films and posting them on this site.

It's true that unlike YouTube, 'Star Wars' and other themes aren't likely to win over a lot of people, simply because these topics have been done so many times.

At the same time, the three of your films that I could find on this site have very low framerates, sets that do not fill the entire frame, and often feature characters that are completely out of focus. We have many members here (even undoubtedly in your age range) who produce first films that look much better than this. I'm not saying anybody hates you or that you can't get better, but if you want to get more recognition on a site with a lot of good films being posted on it, the fastest way to achieve this is to work on improving the quality of your films.

Simple things like building more complete sets (whether out of LEGO or creatively out of whatever materials are available to you), attempting a higher framerate and avoiding shots that are simply still images, and making sure the shots are in focus would go a long way to improving the quality of your work.

All these same things apply to voice acting. While there is probably more demand for voice acting than this site can provide (which is why I had to rely on friends and family for voice acting for the first several years I made LEGO movies), you'll get more responses if you have a track record of making films that show you're putting some serious effort in and trying your best to produce something of quality.

You also haven't really been very involved in this site. Ten posts, most of them in the past week. The members who are well known within this site are people who have made an effort to be active in it. Of your ten posts on this site, seven are about your own projects, and three are in releases threads, which is good, but your comments are all single, short sentences. If you give others feedback and try to be a part of the community, you're more likely to get feedback on your own work.

togfox wrote:

I'll speak the unspeakable.  This community is very clique (clicky).  Happens with small communities.  It's the natural order of things.

Do you have any examples of this?

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I don't think that the case is that nobody likes you, I think that it is that nobody even knows you are here. Like Squash said, you haven't posted very much yet. It takes time to get integrated into the community.

Smeagol wrote:

'm not saying anybody hates you or that you can't get better, but if you want to get more recognition on a site with a lot of good films being posted on it, the fastest way to achieve this is to work on improving the quality of your films.

And one way to improve the quality of the films (along with lots of practice) is to ask the community for tips and critiques. You can post WIP animations, ask for specific help, etc, and that will help you not only become a better animator, but also help you become "known" in this community.

Last edited by rioforce (April 2, 2015 (11:51am))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I see what you are all saying and trying to find friends is hard, those three films aren't all my brickfilms I have a lot more old ones.  I work on my films as hard as I can but right now I am still a "noob" at brickfilming. I take the time to watch other people's  mini movies even if I am over loaded with work.

Everyone says "Action, Star wars films are bland overused" I GET IT. I am working on a new stop motion series that nobody has ever done this kind.

Thanks mini/shifty

Be bold. Don't be afraid to make whatever the hell that comes into your mind.

Have you heard of Andrew Lloyd Weber? He's a theatrical whiz that nobody likes. One time, he asks his hairdresser why everybody hates him soon after meeting him. His hairdresser said: "Saves time".

I don't want to repeat too much of what's already been said but here's my two cents.

When I first joined here I posted some films and didn't get any comments or ratings which discouraged at first until I realized that when you first start on a site like this you gotta try to get to know people and try to be more active within the community.
Not only that but showing how you make your films with things like WIPs, previews, behind the scenes, and etc are important.

Also I believe having a good story is very important and can really make or break a film. Like others have said, be Bold.
Honestly for me, I love Star Wars but I've seen so many films that have this same repeated formulas with things like Clone Trooper movies, random lightsaber duels, hit or miss comedy sketches, and etc.
Even so there are ones out there that make something that stands out from the rest that gets my attention and others too.

What I'm trying to say is that with me and Star Wars, I want to make something that stands out from the rest. Something with my own spin on it. Which is what I'm trying to do now with my newest film I recently released.
So even if you're making a movie from a topic that might have been done to death, if you use your imagination and make your film stand out. You might just get noticed.

Also practice. Practice making stories, practice filming, practice whatever you can! You might have a lot of trail and error but like they say, "practice makes perfect." mini/smile

AJVfilms wrote:

What I'm trying to say is that with me and Star Wars, I want to make something that stands out from the rest. Something with my own spin on it. Which is what I'm trying to do now with my newest film I recently released.
So even if you're making a movie from a topic that might have been done to death, if you use your imagination and make your film stand out. You might just get noticed.

This is so true AJ! There.are still Star Wars and other IP films turning heads but you really have to work hard to make yours stand out.

I'll just say that many people don't have the heart to tell the truth. Because sometimes the truth hurts (and sometimes people don't take it in the nicest of ways). It also takes time to formulate a constructive essay to console the person while also telling the blunt truth; not everyone has that kind of time. Maybe it isn't that you "suck SO much", maybe it's that people thought it more trouble than it's worth. I hate to break it to you but not everyone on the internet is nice. That detracts people from wanting to give criticism.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions