Topic: The 2014 Bricks in Motion Awards - Nominees

http://mindgamestudios.com/img/Bricks-in-Motion-Awards-Final-Logo.png

Hello and welcome, one and all! After a momentary hiatus (read: 3 years), NathanWells and I are proud to present the nominees for the 2014 Bricks in Motion Awards! This is a (sort of) annual awards event that recognizes and celebrates excellence in brickfilming in a wide variety of categories and disciplines. Think like the Oscars for brickfilms.

Our panel of judges have sorted through a year’s worth of films and voted on them in 11 individual categories until a final list of 5 nominees was agreed upon for each category. Very soon, we will be sending out the final ballots, and once those votes are tallied and winners chosen, they will be announced via a live awards show in the Bricks in Motion IRC Chat (more details on that later).

The films you see in the categories below are listed in alphabetical order, and without any bias or favoring whatsoever. Judges and organizers agreed to disqualify any films they have made in the last calendar year from awards contention, so as to make judging as fair as possible. Films eligible for awards consideration need not have been made public on the Bricks in Motion Releases forum (a rule change from years past), but must have been released online within the 2014 year.

Our nomination panelists for the 2014 year are:
MindGame
NathanWells
Penta
Dewfilms
Squash
Littlebrick
Smeagol

And now with that out of the way, let’s get on to what you’ve all been waiting for! Here are your nominees for this year’s Bricks in Motion Awards!

BEST FILM
This is awarded to a brickfilm of exceptional quality in all aspects. It is thoroughly enjoyed by many and takes a creative approach to the filmmaking process and design. Simply put, it is the "Best Film" of the Year.

BEST ANIMATION
This award is presented to a film that utilizes animation very well. The film demonstrates smooth and fluid animation that is highly realistic, creative, and/or innovative, as part of one of the most important parts of stop motion films. Note that different film styles require different animation styles when you are nominating a film.

BEST SCREENPLAY
This award is given to a film that has an excellent script and storyline. The idea and outline is presented very well, has great plot, and exceptional dialogue and actions.

• Coffee & Carnage - Jonny Paquette

• FHAC - Keshen Matus

• Plastic Love - Lilian Ginet & Maxime Marion

• That's the Way it Goes! - Walter Benson

• Time for Sale - Legostudio01 and A&M Studios

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
The composition of the frames in the films are done very well, and demonstrates the directors ability to place characters, lights, and the camera well in order to make the film more interesting and visually appealing.

BEST EDITING
This is awarded to a film that best exemplifies a harmonious arrangement of both visuals and sound, how they're assembled to advance the narrative, as well as create an effective sense of pacing and timing.

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
This award is presented to the film with an excellent original score. The score fits with the films setting and enriches the viewing experience with great sound and presentation.

• Batman and Friends: The Clock Tower Caper - Andy Stein

• Delivering Mail - Basile Segouin

• Immortal - Dominik G. and Moritz Meier

• Plastic Love - Quentin Billard

• Steampunk - Tom Gudde

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
This award is presented to a film with outstanding effects work, whether achieved in-camera or with software in post-production. The effects complement the film, rather than distract from the experience.

BEST SOUND DESIGN
This is awarded to a film that uses sound and music to enhance the presentation with great success. The sound compliments the film and is pleasing when heard, with excellent composition and placement.

BEST SET DESIGN
This is awarded to a film that uses sets and characters to enhance the overall enjoyment and set the proper tone for the film.

BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCE
This award is presented to an individual who voice acts a character with great success, originality, and realism. The performance is believable, and adds to the enjoyment of the film.

• Keshen Matus as Pervical - FHAC

• Anna Moorey as Jessica - That's the Way it Goes!

• Jonny Paquette as Bartender - Coffee & Carnage

• Jean-Marie Pexoto as Edmond - Plastic Love

• Kent Poole as William Shatner - Action Bill

BEST ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE
This is awarded to the whole voice acting cast of a film, and recognizes the performance of all the actors. The performances are all very well done, and support the film throughout.

Nominee Tallies

Plastic Love - 10 nominations
Coffee & Carnage - 6 nominations
LEGO Star Wars: Hunted - 4 nominations
That’s the Way it Goes! - 4 nominations
Action Bill - 3 nominations
Immortal - 3 nominations
Pokeballin’ 2 - 3 nominations
Batman and Friends: The Clock Tower Caper - 2 nominations
FHAC - 2 nominations
Time for Sale - 2 nominations
1741 The Battle of Mollwitz - 1 nomination
Adventures in (Classic) Space! - 1 nomination
Avicii - Addicted to You - 1 nomination
Delivering Mail - 1 nomination
Escape from Sabre Island - 1 nomination
The Hobbit: The Lake-Town Chase - 1 nomination
Infinite - 1 nomination
The Journey - 1 nomination
The Legend of Leszek - 1 nomination
LEGO Star Wars: Battlefront - 1 nomination
LEGO Titanfall - Attrition - 1 nomination
Leprechauns in France - 1 nomination
Steampunk - 1 nomination
Teleporter Trouble - 1 nomination

Congratulations to the 24 films recognized in this year’s nominee list, a nicely sizable crop of quality films from last year, and an extra big congratulations to our Best Film nominees! Best of luck to all of you!

More info on the awards chat TBA.

Last edited by MindGame (March 26, 2015 (12:12pm))

Re: The 2014 Bricks in Motion Awards - Nominees

I'm so excited to present this with Zach. We both believe it is very important to highlight and celebrate the best brickfilms of the year.

Glad to see this back. mini/bigsmile

When I read this, I didn't expect us to be nominated. Thank you so much! We are really glad about that  mini/smile
Also it's very nice that there are 3 films from german-speaking countries in total (1 Austria, 2 Germany) who got nominated.
Congratulations to all the nominees and thank you for hosting this!

Congratulations to everyone!

And thanks for the LiF nomination!  I felt really happy about the set design in that and I'm really happy other people seem to think so too!
mini/smile

Wow! It's a big pleasure being in the nominees list with other great filmmakers. Congrats to everyone!
Thanks for considering the editing of The Lake-Town Chase. You made my day! mini/bigsmile

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8545/28902888022_9f0ab167b0_m.jpg

Great to see this back! I'll be on the lookout for the ceremony; personally rooting for Coffee & Carnage.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

I tried to watch all of the movies, and have seen most of them (except for Coffe & Carnage, which looks good, and Escape from Sabre Island, doesn't look bad either). I have to say I was surprised how few of them I actually liked, or how few actually impressed me in the field they were nominated.
Best Original Score is probably the one I disagree with the most, with one score that I even found irritating. I'm not going to talk about each category or say of which movies I speak of, that wouldn't be right, and it's not my intention to offend anyone.
I can see how my post could be seen as negative and polemic and whatever, I'd hate to be "that guy", but I assure you, I'm just genuinely surprised. Last year showed us brickfilms like "That's the Way it Goes", and I see very few films here reach that quality: I can't believe this is the best of the best.
Anyway, I won't spoil the fun, so: good luck to all.

Congrats to all the nominees! It's pretty crazy how far brick filming has come since I joined the community, and 2014 was a great year for films.

My only real qualm with the list is I do feel like Quack in Time was snubbed, which I feel deserved a screenplay nominee as far as long form (8+~ min brickfilms) had a great cast and a fun little adventure story. Honestly films like Quack in Time are the sort of film I really want to make.

The films from 2014 I find myself coming back and watching again and again are Quack in Time, Pokiballin' 2 and Zeus vs. Thor and it's nice to see that 2 of my three favorite films of the year are getting some recognition.

SlothPaladin wrote:

My only real qualm with the list is I do feel like Quack in Time was snubbed, which I feel deserved a screenplay nominee as far as long form (8+~ min brickfilms) had a great cast and a fun little adventure story.

I agree, I kept watching that film over and over again, simply because it was brilliant.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

I haven't seen some of these! I'll be sure to get on it.

The Lego Movie has been snubbed once again. I could very well have won every single award.

Thank you for the list. There's only a couple I haven't seen. I'm on my way to watch them.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

Great list of nominees here.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

It's great to see the Bricks in Motion Awards come back.  Great list of nominees.  It's too bad Zach and Nathan could not be nominated.  I'm looking forward to the results.

Loved all these films! Can't wait for the results.

no love for Batman vs Superman? boo hoo! jk

congrats to all the nominees!

Very happy to see the awards make a return, big thanks to everyone involved in making it happen! And four nominations- wow, it's an honour! There's a great shortlist of films up there and I'm humbled to be a part of it. mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Congratulations to the nominees!  This is the first time I've been around to witness a BiMA, and I'm excited to see who will win, especially since there have been many good Brickfilms this year.  Excellent work on the part of the judges having to watch and compile this list of Brickfilms.

I do think Leprechauns in France should have been also nominated for Best Animation; there was some fantastic and unique animation styles in that.  Also, I'm personally not sure FHAC deserves a nomination for Best Screenplay--whilst I found it funny, and it's probably the only Brickfilm I've ever come across that manages to effectively use swear words and bleeps in a funny manner, it's pretty underwhelming when compared to Plastic Love, That's the Way it Goes!, or even Quack in Time (as Sloth pointed out).  I also feel that Sinner Monologues and Alex and Derrick: 5 Years Later are definitely award-worthy, though I understand why they were disqualified and respect the judges for that decision.

Anyway, can't wait to see who will win!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

NXTManiac wrote:

And four nominations- wow, it's an honour! There's a great shortlist of films up there and I'm humbled to be a part of it. mini/smile

Right, about that...

It has come to my attention that LEGO Castle: Unto the Breach was actually a 2013 release rather than 2014...whoops.

Sorry about this, Dylan, but I gotta rescind its nomination. In the voting thread, the next runner up was LEGO Titanfall - Attrition by Fancypants, so it will be taking its place in the lineup. Your final revised Sound Design nominees are:

• Coffee & Carnage - Jonny Paquette

• LEGO Star Wars: Battlefront - Spencer Olson

• LEGO Star Wars: Hunted - Eric Beaton

• LEGO Titanfall - Attrition - Jordan Johnson

• Plastic Love - Franck Rivolet

Again, really sorry for the oversight. This by no means is a mark against Castle: Unto the Breach, merely a clerical error on our part. At least Pokeballin' still in the running!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg