Topic: Blocksploitation 2 (Fight Scene)

Directory Link

Blocksploitation 2 (Fight Scene)

Blocksploitation 2

This is something I have been putting together for the past month. It's clearly inspired by 70's grindhouse films, martial arts films/fight scenes, and little bit of Quentin Tarantino. I hope you all enjoy!

Re: Blocksploitation 2 (Fight Scene)

There are a lot of action themed, fight scene driven brickfilms out there, but I have never seen anything quite like this before. Blocksploitation 2 is definitely reminiscent of the 70s grindhouse genre.

Almost every aspect of this film is flawless. The camera movement coupled with the polished animation creates a fantastic cinematic atmosphere. The subtle, but extremely effective sound design really works in favor of this film and the music choices are phenomenal. From A Silhouette of Dream to Jungle Fever, the compilation of soundtracks enables this film to have a unique sound and stand out amongst the crowd.

Also, while the set design is simplistic, I think it works wonders. The tan is a great neutral color to act as a wall so as to not distract the audience from the main focal point; the well choreographed fight scene.

In addition to the animation, camera movement, and soundtrack, both the aspect ratio and the grainy, purple empty film stock effect at the end of the short really convinced me that I watching a brickfilm out of the 70s.

Really great film, WillJ123. I'm hopeful for Blocksploitation 3.

I'm really digging this.  The animation and cinematography (although there is perhaps a tiny bit too much shaky-cam at times) is excellent, and the set, while simple, serves its purpose well, as Willow Tree mentioned.  Even the design of the minifigures, with the black and tan robes, seems very fitting and is reminiscent of an old-style Kung Fu movie.  I also love the music selection, which makes it feel a lot like a Quentin Tarantino film (which is not particularly surprising, I suppose, since many of his films are influenced by 70s cinema).

The only issue I have is that the lighting is a bit too bright and flat, and the whole film looks a tad too clean and over-exposed or over-saturated.  This especially looks a bit off when you immediately cut to the old style film stock grain.  Also, the use of red clay in the final shot looks a bit odd since you hadn't used any before.  I feel it would have been better if you used somewhat more dynamic lighting, using shadows to bring out the characters out a bit more, and maybe used old-style film grain on the whole short instead of just the end credits.

Still, these are all fairly minor issues, and Blocksploitation 2 is definitely a highly enjoyable short.  I'm defintiely excited to see what you will come up with next!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Thanks for your feedback!

Mr Vertigo wrote:

The animation and cinematography (although there is perhaps a tiny bit too much shaky-cam at times) is excellent

I would disagree with you about the shaky-cam comment, though. When I think of shaky-cam, I think of the ending fight scene from that Alex Cross movie. In other words, I think of incoherent and jumbled camera work. I would argue that in my film it's more of a fluidity. All camera movement was done practically, and I think it's more of a punctuation of the movement determined by the two minifigs, not a distracting or illogical creative decision.

Mr Vertigo wrote:

The only issue I have is that the lighting is a bit too bright and flat, and the whole film looks a tad too clean and over-exposed or over-saturated.

I agree with you here. Upon looking back, I think the lighting could have been a bit more dynamic, in order to add to the atmosphere. Lighting, and using lighting to set a tone, is really something I have only started playing with over the last year or so. I'll work on that in future projects mini/smile

I watched your previous film on thing and loved it, and this one is no exception. The fight scene was well animated and welll choreographed. You captured each of the two characters distinct fighting techniques and used your camera movements to capture the scenes intensity. Hope to see more of you on the site. Keep it up.

Wow! This was really good. It felt like the minifigures were professional fighters, not pieces of plastic being told what to do by an animator who doesn't know anything about fighting. The camera movement was also great; using shakycam to  add to the fight scene, not to disguise bad animation. Also having the odd wide shot meant the viewer can get a feeling for the surroundings as well. Overall, a really good job! mini/sunnies

Great!  Hilarious pun title!  Great sequence!  Great camera work and choreographing, a real 1970s feel to it all... but WHERE ARE THE AFROS?  NO AFROS!  What?!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."