Topic: I want to change my screen name.

I really hate my screen name, tenny1028. To give some background information, I created the name on the LEGO Messageboards when I was ten years old (hence the "tenny" and the "10" part), and at that time the oldest of my sisters was 8, and the oldest of my brothers was 2 (hence the "28" part). It has been almost six years since I joined the LMBs, and for some time now I have become very embarrassed by that name. It is very very childish, and might not help me very much in job interviews if I need to give certain information like my Skype username.

Therefore, I want to change my name. However, in a somewhat recent conversation with Squash on the IRC, he said that people know me as tenny1028 and it will be hard to get used to whatever new name I choose, since most of you have been introduced to me as tenny1028. Also, it causes much confusion, especially on Youtube. If I change my name to whatever, I will somehow have to let my subscribers know I have changed it. I could say something like "formerly tenny1028' in the description box, but nobody reads the description box anymore. So my question to you is: Should I change my name?

If so, I have a few ideas for a new name, so pick your favorite, or suggest something else. I want it to be short so as to fit Twitter's character limit, so TwoGuysBrickfilms (my youtube channel) wouldn't work. I know that you don't know me IRL, so I'm not asking you to suggest new names, but it's okay if you want to. I'm really bad at coming up with names, but you probably know that considering all the dumb titles of my brickfilms and the generic names of my characters. My first idea was to just use my real first name in lower case, like Jay does, and since my real name is already out there in public, I'm not concerned about keeping it private anymore. Here are some other ideas, and the reasoning of it, if any. I'll be adding to it if I get anymore ideas.

• SilentComment (Inspired from a random name generator. It fits because of my lack of posts here, and my lack of activity on the IRC)

• AlternateVader (Darth Vader is my favorite character, and when LEGO ruined his scary personality by making The Empire Strikes Out, I liked him even more)

• TheOddWarrior (My name in LEGO Universe)

• OctanGuy or octanguy (One of the characters in my logo wears an Octan shirt)

So again, should I change my name? And if so, which of the above do you like best?

Last edited by jasper (January 27, 2015 (09:50pm))

Re: I want to change my screen name.

I joined this forum as "TheDylandProductions" back in 2010. However, I soon longed to have the title of "bla bla bla films" or "bla bla bla studios." Thus, over the course of about a year and a half, I did so. Opting to change to "Open Door Films" and then "Troll-Bridge studios". However, negative came from both - Open Door seeming too artsy, and, not enough like me, and using "troll" in my studio name did give off negative vibes across the internet - even though I intended it to convey the types of films I wanted to make; fantasy and fiction.

Eventually, I gave in, and changed back to "TheDylandProductions" before Smeagol suggested that I go with just "Dyland" instead.

Thus, here I've come, full circle! Yet, I would, in your case, recommend a name change.

Personally, I think "The Odd Warrior" would fit best of your three choices. I don't really like "tenny1028" and, even from experience from changing usernames and causing confusion, would advise you go with something else. Something with numbers in it always does seem a bit unprofessional...

If you do decide to change your username on these forums, just contact a moderator or administrator (such as myself). We would be glad to change it for you. mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Dyland wrote:

If you do decide to change your username on these forums, just contact a moderator or administrator (such as myself). We would be glad to change it for you. mini/smile

Yes, I've seen it happen before.

Personally, I like "tenny1028". There's nothing wrong with it. A lot of people use names like that on the internet. I didn't think it sounded childish or "unprofessional" (I mean, come on, we're not professionals, we do we need names that sound like we are?). It's your online identity. Lots of people use numbers in their names. If you're worried about future job interviews, you can change your Skype name, but your online identity is "Tenny1028" and it will always be remembered (except by new members who never knew about it).

Though, if you really want to change it, you may as well do it now, because the longer you wait, the harder it will be. I recommend something original like "TheOddWarrior" because things like "AlternateVader" are really boring and unoriginal and say that you can't come up with anything more creative. It also gets ignored and forgotten, because there are so many other "Vader"s out there.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I would suggest (if you do indeed decide to change your user name) to change it now. I have re-started my YouTube channel multiple times because I disliked the name that I had decided on. From my (somewhat limited) experience, I find that it is easier changing a user name before creating, uploading, and getting known for a good/popular video that I like than it is after. So in my opinion, the sooner the better.
I hope I made sense.
-Rivvm m

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8

I like "Tenny", it's unique and has a backstory for you.  I could see why you would want to do without the numbers which is the only part I would change.

When I first saw your name, I assumed you were a Ben 10 fan, hence the name Tenny.

Well, on your profile pic, there is a guy with an Octan shirt.
I'do say anything could do.

• octanfuel

• 2guysbrickfilms (I don't know if Twitter would allow it)

• Birdface (everyone will think you're Sonjira)

Need more suggestions? I'll help you find more.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

I personally don't like numbers at the end of names if you changed it to Tenny you could fix that, I guess I always thought Tenny was your real name, I've seen weirder names in really life. If you really need a Skype account for work and don't want to use tenny1028 you could make one based off your real name and use that for work only, that way people won't search your skype name and come across all the other non-work websites you are part of.

Perhaps you could try to ease into a new name, find one, and then try to introduce yourself as such and the change will not be so jarring.

My BiM name used to be Annoy Noises Productions, however, I requested a change since that was a bit long, and I preferred being called Squid, which some people called me anyway.

Perhaps you could use a nickname you have already, something  someone has called you before.  I for instance, have several names attributed to me over the years: Squid, Olem Kolpalv, Dracula, Bob, Henderson, Harri, and some others.  You must have one or two at least.

If not, perhaps try a name that really seems like something that you'd call yourself.  You would likely be a better person to come up with such a name, as you know yourself more than we do.

On a side note: There is a perfect Welcome to Darkmoor reference begging to be made here, but none of you will get it, so it's best left unsaid.  It would have been hilarious though.

I like usernames that are distinctive and don't tie into a reference. So, Tenny is better than anything with Vader and Octanguy, and TheOddWarrior could be anybody. The only reason I'm still Smeagol on here is I've used it for too long.

Generally what I look for is distinctiveness. A name that, if googled, will almost solely bring up results about you. This is part of the reasoning behind ergopossum, though that is better as a production company name than as a name for an individual.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

If you want to, you should.

Personally, I don't like mine either, but I don't care much about it anymore.

People will recognize you from your avatar image anyway, here in the forums.

Greenshirt wrote:

I like "Tenny"

I second this.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I've wanted to change 'jampot' to 'JamPot' or 'JamPotStudios' for a while now, but it's not so pressing an issue (basically just a change in grammar) that I think about it very often.

But for you, if your username is a problem for you, I would definitely suggest asking an admin to change it for you. 'Tenny' seems good as it's still recognisably you - the change wouldn't cause any confusion as to who you were.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

You can just remove the numbers so it feels more refined.

Squid wrote:

Perhaps you could use a nickname you have already, something  someone has called you before.  I for instance, have several names attributed to me over the years: Squid, Olem Kolpalv, Dracula, Bob, Henderson, Harri, and some others.  You must have one or two at least.

If not, perhaps try a name that really seems like something that you'd call yourself.  You would likely be a better person to come up with such a name, as you know yourself more than we do.

There is really no nickname other than my real name that people call me by, and I would rather be called by my real name.

Well thank you everyone for your replies. At the moment, everyone seems to like "tenny1028," which surprises me. I guess I'm just jealous of how everyone else has seemingly cool names and I don't see mine as being that cool. Most of you feel that removing the numbers would make it better, but it makes me hate it all the more for some reason. So if I'm going to remove the numbers, I think that I'll just change the whole username to my 6-character name which everyone calls me IRL.

tenny1028 wrote:

I guess I'm just jealous of how everyone else has seemingly cool names and I don't see mine as being that cool.

I know exactly how you feel. Because of my previous usernames that none of you know, that is. I like my current username.

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8