Topic: Can anyone explain Exposure Index?

I've been trying to wrap my head around some stuff for uni work for most of the evening, and despite the amount of reading I've done, there's one thing that's still bugging me. If anyone can help me out, I would be most grateful.

One of the things we've just started learning about is Exposure Index.

I've tried to simplify the other explanations I've found, and I think that the Exposure Index is the amount of exposure received by a camera's imager, exposure being light (the amount of which is affected by aperture and shutter speed). However, I could be horribly wrong, as I'm not quite sure how this is relevant (as surely you don't know how much incident light's reaching the imager until you've taken the frame, right?). I'm sure I've got something wrong somewhere along the line, and this is proving to be a real barrier for the rest of the work I'm attempting to do.

So once again, if anyone can explain Exposure Index in a really succint and Goomba-friendly way, I would massively appreciate the help. If you have any concerns that I might be trying to get someone to do my uni homework for me, please be assured that this is not the case. I haven't had any set tasks yet, but they're coming up in the next few weeks, and this is a basic concept I know I will need to understand in order to attack those tasks.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Re: Can anyone explain Exposure Index?

Preface: I am not an expert. Smilies to increase Goomba-Friendliness Index (GFI).

Anyway... First, as far as I understand it Exposure Index (EI) in the true use of the term is only relevant when discussing real film photography. In such cases it pretty much means a temporary working ISO for a piece of film stock. An example from the good ol' days of film might go like this...

You find yourself in need of shooting some fast moving subjects outdoors in the dimming light of evening. Looking in your camera bag, all you have is some ISO 200 film. mini/frustrated This won't do, ISO 200 is "slow" film. Light metering it for "correct" exposure in your dim evening light results in the compensation of a slow shutter speed to let more light onto the film. A slow shutter would blur your subject. You need to do something. mini/shifty

What is that something? You decide that film is actually ISO 800 film.  But you don't call it ISO 800, you call it your personal EI 800 film. mini/sunnies  Exposure Index is the name for a temporary change of film ISO. But what does this do for you? Well, now that you have EI 800 film, you set your camera/light meter to meter for ISO 800 and get aperture and shutter settings that treat it accordingly. Namely, faster shutter speeds and, accordingly, less blur on your zippy subjects. mini/bigsmile

Of course, now that you exposed your ISO 200 EI 800 film to ISO 800 settings, if you want any hope of getting a usable picture, you will have to develop it right. That is, you should now develop it as you would any other ISO 800 film. mini/yes Also, doing this wouldn't be some sort of magic cure for having to get the right ISO film in the first place and would greatly increase grain throughout your picture. mini/blankexpression

Well, hope that helped a bit. Though, like I said, unless you are taking an actual film photography class I don't know why you should need to know this (you weren't talking about Exposure Value where you? That would make more sense...).

PS. To all concerned parties, this post has a GFI of 3.

Re: Can anyone explain Exposure Index?

Thanks for the explanation! This all makes a lot more sense now, and thank you for your time. Now to apply it.

AnW wrote:

unless you are taking an actual film photography class I don't know why you should need to know this

Yeah, I'm doing a film course mini/smile

AnW wrote:

To all concerned parties, this post has a GFI of 3.

That it does, my friend. That it does.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein