Topic: Help With Sony Movie Studio

To edit and produce my brick films I use Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12. It works great, but when I export it makes the video darker than the original raw footage, some times worse than others. This is a big problem if the footage is already dark. I will have the scene just how I want it with lighting and all, but when I export it it looks awful and you can hardly see a thing. Here is an example of it at its worse.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/rwYUmKvuT4zWHLj9v7q2zb7pYGxwz6Ezq518ayb4sQ=w276-h207-p-no    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ei2mNoRHhS8f-BFw8BJpLnyl6cAaMAvLLRsbOB-dyw=w311-h207-p-no                                                    ORIGINAL  mini/smile                                                             RENDERED  mini/madhead 

It is not only with dark scene but all of them. I have tried fixing it before by increasing the brightness in post but this often makes it look weird and it's a pain. I think I asked about this before but no one had any answers as to what to do or why. Would anyone know why it would do this and how to fix it or keep it from doing it? Thanks

Last edited by Brickcrazy (January 5, 2015 (01:19pm))

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

Re: Help With Sony Movie Studio

I have also had this problem before. What I've learned about this is that the darkness that is occurring is from your video player itself and not sony vegas- adding its own settings on top of your video. A way you can test this is by importing the rendered video back into vegas- you'll see that the colors are as they should be.

A way that seems to have solved the problem for me is to add a certain setting to all of your clips. Go to video fx > Color Corrector, and then drag and drop the 'Computer RGB to Studio RGB' to your clip.

I have had a problem with this too. Are you rendering in MP4, or WMV, or something else? I read a topic on Creative Cow that I think is the same issue.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/955046#955056

It has to do with the video format not supporting all of the colors. Thus, it takes out a few colors, and the contrast increases and makes your scene appear darker. I use mp4, but I have this issue too. It is especially noticeable on my ending logo. The movie camera has more grays on it to help add definition to the camera parts, but in all of my videos, it takes out those extra grays.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Mason wrote:

I have also had this problem before. What I've learned about this is that the darkness that is occurring is from your video player itself and not sony vegas- adding its own settings on top of your video. A way you can test this is by importing the rendered video back into vegas- you'll see that the colors are as they should be.

A way that seems to have solved the problem for me is to add a certain setting to all of your clips. Go to video fx > Color Corrector, and then drag and drop the 'Computer RGB to Studio RGB' to your clip.

I imported the video back into movie studio and it looks normal like you said it might but I can't find Computer RGB to Studio RGB to try it.

rioforce wrote:

I have had a problem with this too. Are you rendering in MP4, or WMV, or something else? I read a topic on Creative Cow that I think is the same issue.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/955046#955056

It has to do with the video format not supporting all of the colors. Thus, it takes out a few colors, and the contrast increases and makes your scene appear darker. I use mp4, but I have this issue too. It is especially noticeable on my ending logo. The movie camera has more grays on it to help add definition to the camera parts, but in all of my videos, it takes out those extra grays.

I'm rendering it in MP4.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. I found the Computer RGB to Studio RGB under Levels that's why I couldn't find it. Tried it and it's much better but still kinda dark.

Last edited by Brickcrazy (January 5, 2015 (02:11pm))

I can't help with the program, however, I feel I should note that the original lighting is still a bit too dark anyway.  On a non-technical note, you should probably try to make it significantly brighter, or else even if you do get the render to work appropriately, it'll still be too hard to see.

Squid wrote:

I can't help with the program, however, I feel I should note that the original lighting is still a bit too dark anyway.  On a non-technical note, you should probably try to make it significantly brighter, or else even if you do get the render to work appropriately, it'll still be too hard to see.

Thanks for the advice. I did that shot a few years ago and was just using it as an example. They all turnout too dark even if the light is right though. I'd say Mason's advice helped a lot. Thanks everyone. mini/smile

Last edited by Brickcrazy (January 5, 2015 (02:40pm))