Topic: Protectors of the Earth

Directory Link

Protectors of the Earth

Protectors of the Earth - The Movie

Hi and a happy new year!

This is my new Movie "Protectors of the Earth".
It took me over 600hours of work and I'm excited to present it to the BrickInMotion community (I'm new here mini/bigsmile ). I hope you enjoy the movie and I would be glad to hear some feedback from you.

Best,
Jonas

Re: Protectors of the Earth

Absolutely wonderful! Your animation and art style is a joy to behold, this had an engaging story, and visually pretty much everything was clean (save for some of the frame blending around some of the walking movements) and made for a breathtaking ride.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Good Gumdrop, man, that's one wicked rad brickfilm.  It has a fantastically cinematic feel to it.  And at about 15 minutes (after that it's about five minutes of extras and VFX breakdowns) it's a really impressive length, especially for something of such quality.

Just a small few things I'm going to critique, though.

At the begging of the film, I really wasn't sure which people were supposed to be the "bad guys" as the humans at that point looked like a bunch of rotten terrorists who need to get a life.  It took me a few minutes to realize, but it didn't feel like that confusion was supposed to be intentional.
It might have been a bit better to have added a little sort paragraph or two that appears on the screen in a cool font that quickly and eloquently explains the new universe we're entering.

The music and sound design was exceptionally fantastic, however, in the scene where the cool guy with the mohawk is talking there is basically no sound at all, nor music, and compared to the rest of the film that scene falls rather flat and feels a bit odd.

I'm generally not a fan of post-production camera movement, but if you are to do it, I feel you've done it to the best that it can be done.
It was kinda nice that the movement was so smooth, but the frame-averaging seems to have some weird side-effects which makes the areas around the figures look peculiar.  Generally I feel stuff looks okay on its own, but, of course, I've never seen how the unedited footage looks.

But again, great film, I hope you stay and hang around with the community and make more videos. mini/smile

Last edited by Squid (January 1, 2015 (10:49am))

Your visuals are a sight, that's for sure. Along with the animation. Although, during some movements they were a little slow, not choppy, just a little slow.

I agree with Squid and Jampot about the frame blending, at some points it looked weird.

But besides those few things, the lighting, effects, animation, voices, and story are pretty good. I look forward to seeing more and...

Welcome to BricksinMotion!

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Wow, that was stunning.
Normally, when people have such great effects, it is at the expense of the story or animation. But you've managed to bring everything together and still keep it all at a very high quality.

Like Squid, I wasn't sure who was good/bad for a while, but it's not really a problem thanks to the twist near the end.
It keeps viewers guessing, but in a good kind of way.

The only two flaws in the visual effects would be the frame-averaging already mentioned, and the man's wings not tracking right on his arms. Still, for all you got right, those are easily understood.

It's very impressive, and I can't wait to see what you do next!
Welcome to Bricks in Motion, and I hope you enjoy your stay.

I'm surprised that this has gotten as few responses here as it has, this is a pretty spectacularly-made brickfilm.

In particular, I like the film's commitment to its story and its world. Often, big effects-driven brickfilms like this often get lost in its own scale, but I really admire the way everything works in the service of its narrative. The story itself is reasonably well told, though admittedly, some of the plot points tend to fall into the cliché, but never enough to completely derail it. You build your world quite well in a 15 minute period.

And of course, visually, the film is stunning. The visual effects are, for the most part, great, as is the cinematography. You've perfectly captured an appropriately cinematic, epic style for this film. It's always a treat to see a film as big and ambitious as this executed well, and this is certainly one of them.

Thanks a lot to all of you! I really appreciate all of your positive responses! mini/smile

I saw This recently, but I failed to comment right away, but now that it is back at the top I will give a quick comment.

I was really amazed by the grand scale that you pulled off. I found that your animation was quite good, and pleasing to the eye. Your voice acting for this film was excellent, and your Lighting was wonderfully done; as was most of your effects. Also, the cinematography was excellent, and your post effect camera movements were some of the best I have seen.

As for the story, I have never been fond of the "Human's are destroying the planet" theme. But still, I found myself enjoying the progression of the plot and story. As MindGame said, some of your plot points were a little cliché, but that hardly detracted from the film. I also found that each of the characters, despite their short amount of screen-time, were well defined and understandable.

Overall, I found it to be totally stunning and captivating, and definitely worthy of many a re-watching.

If I were to say one negative thing, it would be that the animation loops that you used for the minifigs in the crowd scenes were somewhat jerky from end-to-start of loop, but that is the only thing.