Topic: Stop motion with windows surface pro 3?

Im thinking of buy a surface pro chiefly for stop mo.  Im currently tied to my pc meaning super inconvenience.  Windows on a laptop/tablet wold mean i can set up/move my studio anywhere in the house, freeing up the space around my pc.

Id want to use a mouse and a web cam. Nthe surface pro has one usb port so a hub is required.  Id also get the optional extra keyboard as id hate to use my software on touchscreen alone.  Id also be able to do my editing anywhere in the house and not confined to the darkroom all the time.

Anyone tried a setup like this?

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Re: Stop motion with windows surface pro 3?

It's funny you should ask... I actually own an SP3 and was considering giving animating using it a go today! It's a cool device, but for the premium cost you really have to want it over a standard laptop or ultrabook. If I actually animate I'll report my findings.

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

I have 3 tablets at home (ipads and Samsung galaxy's) so I'm pretty hooked on tablets.  mini/smile  It is a valid question though - what does the SP3 offer over other laptops?  Portability vs price I guess.

Aka Fox

I used my SP3 for the whole of my THAC XII entry and it worked really well.The size was great because it meant it didn't get in the way. I had a USB hub connected with my blue yeti, c920, number keypad, mouse and flash drive and all worked fine. If you get one make sure the USB hub is externally powered rather than 'bus powered' though otherwise webcams and mics start playing up.

All my software worked fine too including, despite its age Helium Frog (after applying my source error fix) and when it came to editing the video rendered very quickly.

I'd say overall it worked perfectly well, all be it like any other Windows machine. For Surfaces the type cover is an absolute must, I have it attached 95% of the time.

Boats Animator

I'd be very interested to hear what kind of results people get using a Surface for stop motion capture. I'm considering getting a Surface tablet myself.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I actually coudn't justify the price of the Surface Pro, when you consider the extra price of the keyboard, extremely small HD and single USB port.  I bought this instead:

http://www.asus.com/au/Notebooks_Ultrab … p_TP500LN/

I got so much more for the same price.

It's a laptop AND a tablet and I'm loving it.  I've got it in my studio, plugged into a second monitor (to save my eyes).  I can fold the screen all the way back so it is flat on the desk and use the monitor to do capture.  I can still glance at the laptop screen (despite the odd angle) briefly to do other desktop operations (save files, look for voice files etc).  It struggles with some larger projects (I'm talking 10+ minute projects - not THAC projects) but not a single regret.

Get a bluetooth mouse for animating though.  Hard to do so with a touch pad (but not impossible).

Aka Fox

I need to do some research before I buy anything. I saw a demo run by RED and Adobe in cooperation with Microsoft at SXSW last year where they fed 5k raw footage straight into the Surface tablet and started editing it in Premiere. It was incredibly impressive and made me want to get something kinda powerful like that, so I could handle cinema camera footage on set (or at least on breaks during location shoots) in the future when needed.

I'm sure whatever Surface tablet they had that can handle that would run Dragon or whatever other stop motion apps just fine. The portability of a tablet would be nice for animation, though I don't know if it really has a significant edge over a laptop for that purpose. Especially given the tiny hard drive.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

That asus has an i7 duel core and it struggles with Corel Pinnacle.  I use stop motion pro eclipse and it captures and plays back fine but if I do some quick shuttling between frames in edit mode then there can be a one or two second delay updating to the current frame.

Not saying what is good or bad - just pointing out with that asus hardware I linked on a fresh Windows 8.1, some editing is asking a little too much.

Aka Fox

The hardware for that Asus looks decent enough. The thing that might be causing the slight delays could be the lack of an full SSD. I upgraded our desktop PC with one over the holidays and it's like a brand new machine!

Boats Animator

Yeah, prob right.  It has the slowest hd in the universe and i think that shows when desling with a large number of high qual images.

Aka Fox