Topic: Dealing with carpet flooring

Hey Im wondering if theres a better way to keep your tripod sturdy on carpet. I used to put a piece of plywood on some chunks of wood on the floor and weighed it down. But we just moved and Im wondering  how you guys deal with carpet?

Thanks a ton
OsomStudios

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Re: Dealing with carpet flooring

I moved into uni accomodation recently and had to deal with the same issue, though luckily mine's one of those carpets that's really flat and level. Is yours deep/fluffy? Maybe you could try weighting the tripod down, if it has a hook on the underside.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Yea my carpet is Deep/fluffy. And no I don't have a hook otherwise that would be a really good idea.

Thanks a ton Jampot
OsomStudios

My Youtube

Hmm, what camera do you use?

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

Hmm, what camera do you use?

The T3i.

Thanks
OsomStudios

My Youtube

Okay, so it's relatively lightweight? One thing you could do is actually get a clamp, to attach it to your desk rather than a tripod. Dunno' how cost effective that would be though, and I think it works better for webcams and that ilk.

Post a picture of your set up with the tripod on the ground

jampot wrote:

Okay, so it's relatively lightweight? One thing you could do is actually get a clamp, to attach it to your desk rather than a tripod. Dunno' how cost effective that would be though, and I think it works better for webcams and that ilk.

Yea its a DSL so its not like a webcam but its not like a film camera ether. Thanks I might have to look in to that.

DarkHoundIV wrote:

Post a picture of your set up with the tripod on the ground

I might, its a lot of work. Why are you thinking that would be good.

Thanks A ton guys I'm thinking of seeing how it works just on the carpet
OsomStudios

My Youtube

I place about 30 pounds of weight on my tripod. If you have spikes on the bottom of the tripod that will also help.

Thanks AquaMorph. So. much to my surprise I haven't had any trouble  just animating with it just set on the ground. Silly me!

Thanks a ton guys
OsomStudios

My Youtube

I've had problems with tripod on carpet. I just weigh it down as Aquamorph suggested, this generally helps. More expensive tripods, ie heavy and made of metal, will also somewhat resolve the issue.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

My tripod, being cheap and lightweight, doesn't have a hook on it either - but it did have another set of threads on the bottom of the center post. If yours does too, maybe you can do what I did to help stabilize: I drilled a hole in the cap of a sport drink bottle and used a nut to firmly affix the cap on the threads, open end down. Then I filled the bottle with pennies (the wide mouth of the sport drink bottle makes this possible vs. a soda bottle) and screwed it on to the cap.

It's not rock-solid by any means but it did make a difference for me.