Topic: IDEA: Joint filming on the same movie, using the same mini-figs

I'd like to explore the idea of a BiM collaboration flick where we can all contribute - and I mean we can all animate together.  Ambitious - but here is how it might work.

Jointly we can come up with a story and script.  It could be anything but I think something "generic" will suit this project best.  By generic, I mean nothing that is franchised or owned by Lucas films or Marvel.  A genuinely original work from the start.

Once we have a story and characters we ask for volunteer animators.  There can be lots or a few.  Lots would be more fun.  We then chop the story up into parts and we each volunteer to animiate one bit of the story.  The thing is, we all need to agree on the characters/mini-figs we use for continuity.

This means we must all make/buy the same mini-fig(s) and use that mini-fig in our animation, in whatever way the agreed story says.  If the story is about Bob and Bill on a road trip then all the animators must agree to make - or buy - a Bob, Bill and car that looks exactly the same.  If the figs are generic (non IP) then buying the fig or parts could be as little as $10 -> $20 bucks, and you get to keep those parts forever of course.

We each animate as per our part of the story and send them to the volunteer editor who puts all the bits into a timeline.  The sound engineer then adds audio.  The SFX guy then adds after effects or whatever.  At the end of that process we have a flick that we can honestly say was built by multiple animators.  mini/smile

Of course, people will animate with different levels of quality and that will show up tremendously, but who cares.  It's a collaboration and its fun!  mini/bigsmile   There are variations like each of us might do our own audio and after effects.  Perhaps even more fun we wriite our own silly story based on the animation before us:

1st writer:  Bob walks over to his car and starts the engine ...
2nd writer: When the engine doesn't start, Bill opens the bonnet to check ...
3rd writer: But Bill finds out there is no engine as it has been stolen!!!

and so on.  Lets be clear, something like this will not win any awards or film festivals.  It's for fun.  It's for collaboration.  It's to get people working with people.  This can be tweaked in a dozen different ways but it is based on one non-negotiable:

- we agree to build/make the same mini-fig(s) for continuity/storytelling purposes and then have fun with that character(s).

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Re: IDEA: Joint filming on the same movie, using the same mini-figs

Wow, I was actually thinking about a collaboration video just today when YouTube suggested that I collaborate with other people to get views. mini/tongue

Bricks in Motion did a community project a while back before I joined, ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRQ57vzPIiM ) and I'd love to collaborate in a film. The minifigures would probably need to be generic (Bob faces and solid colors) so that people wouldn't have to spend too much money). This would take lots of time and planning, but I'd love to help. mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Community projects like this aren't a new idea - take for example Late for Work which would have seen a minifig dodge a host of obstacles from street to street on his way to work. Unfortunately a lot of these projects (including LFW) fell through as people who excitedly signed up at the start didn't feel like putting a huge amount of effort into a film that wasn't theirs. Brickfilming is Just Awesome, which rioforce linked, was the first community project to be completed in 5 years and it succeeded because every animator was asked only to contribute a very small amount - 2 or 3 seconds of animation.

So if you do want to push this project ahead - and I encourage you to do so! - bear in mind that it will probably only be possible if you ask very little of the participants. Alternatively you could find a small dedicated group to collaborate with, but then it wouldn't really be a community project. mini/tongue

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I'm hearing ya.  I'm totally use to "Pick me pick me! - oh, wait, I've got exams" syndrome.  mini/smile  To qualify, and to prove you're serious, people would have to build the mini figs and submit a picture just to prove you're happy to put in effort.

The story could also be structured such that anyone missing a deadline, or not showing progress gets left on the cutting room floor.  Not sure how to do that.

Keeping it to 3 seconds or less might work - but that might be hard on the eyes  mini/confused

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

togfox wrote:

...Keeping it to 3 seconds or less might work - but that might be hard on the eyes  mini/confused

If I was heading a project which had multiple animators animating their own segments of one film, following the same characters, I would allow much more than just 3 seconds of allowance... I'd have something closer to 3 minutes!

However, to keep the story a bit more simple, reducing clutter and confusion, there should be one main storyline with an overall plot for brickfilmers to follow. (i.e. A man starts "sliding" into different dimensions while trying to find his way back home.) If you don't have that anchoring line "while trying to find his way home" the brickfilm could end up too, um...

Long story short, it needs some sort of plot to guide the community of animators.

Here's a project I did (by myself, mainly), and, though it didn't have a single "main character" recurring throughout the worlds, it did tie everything together in the end with a sort of "homage to brickfilmers and LEGO fans" The Celebrations

I'd also suggest (if you're actually thinking about starting something like this) to allow each animator as much creative freedoms as possible - so long as they keep the main characters looking the same at the beginning and end of their allotted time, for continuity. Especially if you were going to go with a plot similar to "Sliders." mini/tongue

From what I understand, most projects like this in the past usually had a singular concept, but never attempted to tie it all together with the same characters... The Day Brickfilms.com Crashed A great project, nevertheless, not one with a set main character and a set storyline.

I'll be watching this project. It's definitely an interesting concept - one that could yield a pretty awesome brickfilm. mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I would love to help.

I don't know if I can animate but, as long as they're not too extensive, I can offer VFX help if you need it.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Seems like a good idea!
Was there not talks about another community project a few years ago, where members would animate a short scene with a minifigure involving a red 2x2 (or it could've been a 2x4) and then that minifigure would pass it over to the right, and then another member would animate their minifigure collecting the brick from the left, and so on and so forth to create a pretty cool illusion. I'm sure there were short lived talks about it here!

I know there was the 12 Joys of Brickfilming earlier this year. It fell through briefly, but then got picked up again. I think PushOver is still editing it...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

I know there was the 12 Joys of Brickfilming earlier this year. It fell through briefly, but then got picked up again. I think PushOver is still editing it...

I think that the problem with the 12 Joys of Brickfilming is that only 12 people could participate. We need something that we can extend or shorten depending on the number of entries. May I suggest a cheesy commercial parody where people are interviewed in their own homes/work places? For example, it's a commercial about a stud-topper (You know, the 1x1 round tile without a stud on it?). It could be the "most versatile tool known to minifigure". It can cover  studs to make a flat floor, be used as the top of soda cans, can be worn as a hat, used as a bomb, can be used to play fetch with your dog, and so forth. (Just an idea, however, I'm not saying that it's a good one. mini/tongue )

Last edited by rioforce (November 4, 2014 (05:53pm))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b