Topic: Camera dilemma

Hey all,

I have a little bit of a camera dilemma and I’m not sure what to do. My simple problem is that I don’t like what I get out of my current camera (Quickcam Pro 9k).
Here’s a frame from my BRAWL entry:
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag30/mightywanderer/BRAWL%202014%20BTS/BRAWL2014S1P12T3_Frame_000082_zpsf41c0992.png

To achieve any decent lighting effects, I have to turn down all my lights and turn up the exposure on my camera really high. However, I get what looks like a grainy grey overlay on the image and very bad light/shadow details, which I really dislike (and I haven’t been able to find a solution for it except for turning the exposure down, but then you can’t see anything). Anyway, I would really like to upgrade my camera, especially since a lot of what I want to work on will require me to be able to get decent in-camera lighting effects.

I’ve got two choices that I think will suit me best: The Logitech C910/C920, or a Canon T2i. Now, you might think that it would be obvious that I should use the T2i, but it’s not quite that simple.

For the Logitech option(s), I put both down there since I could either buy one of them on my own, or I also have a friend that I might be able to buy one from. I also think that either option would suit me just fine (though it would be nice to get a C920).
In regards to the T2i, our family already owns one of these (which is really great), but it has a few downsides that I’m not sure I want to tackle right now.
I’ve put together a list of pros and cons for each camera, mostly to give you guys context that you wouldn’t necessarily know.

Pros of the C910/C920

• Better ability to do lighting effects. This is really the big one for me. Right now I can’t really do lighting effects to my satisfaction, I settle for what I can do with this camera. From what I’ve seen of people using this camera (Pritchard especially), this will be MUCH better when it comes to in-camera lights.

• A webcam. Right now I’m using a webcam, and I love how easy it is to use. If I get another webcam, the simplicity of use would still be there.

• Maneuverability. Any webcam is going to be much easier to do camera movements and similar feats with than a big DSLR.

• Compatibility. Webcams are compatible with most free stop motion programs, whereas the T2i is not.

Cons:

• Most likely still some difficulty in doing lighting effects. I can’t imagine that any webcams will be able to do lighting effects like the T2i can, so I’m assuming that I will still have some problems with lighting (just not as hard as it is now).

• Much lower quality image than the T2i

• Not as easy to do lighting effects as the T2i

Pros of the T2i:

• Great image quality and overall look

• Very nice lighting effect abilities

There may only be two here, but these two pros are pretty significant. It’s not hard to see how a T2i is so much better when it comes to quality and lighting (and I know this already from playing around with the T2i a bit with filming). mini/tongue

Cons:

• Availability of the camera. The camera I would be using is not my camera, it’s a family camera. This means I can’t take it and have it all the time, since others (mostly my sister) are free to use it. This also means that I won’t be able to keep the settings consistent, they’ll be changed (I’d probably write down what settings I need, but it would still be likely to be messed up from time to time).

• Expense. Already having a DSLR that I can use is a really great break on money, but if I do animate with it it will eventually cost more money. I will need to get an AC adapter, which, from what I’ve seen, is about $60 or $70 right there. On top of that, I’m not going to want to use the EOS Utility forever, I’ll want to upgrade to a good stop motion program at some time, which will probably be a couple hundred dollars (at least) to get a decent one. And then there is the subject of upgrading lenses….

• Size and maneuverability. Being so large, it’s hard to do good camera movements with a DSLR like this.

I’d really like some advice here on what camera to go with, if you guys could help it would be really great.

Thanks!
--Mighty Wanderer

Re: Camera dilemma

Look, T2i all the way. It has a bigger sensor, has the option to change lenses, and packs greater detail quality in your image. I know it's a lot bigger than the webcams, but its pros are hard to beat on webcams. That's my opinion.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Based on the pros and cons listed, I think you should go with the webcam. Sure, the DSLR would be tons better, but seeing as it's your family's camera, it will restrict you so you cannot animate whenever you want. Webcams these days have increased in quality greatly since I had a webcam. Since you know how to use a webcam well, and you have the feel of one, you should use it until you can save the money to buy your own DSLR.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

Based on the pros and cons listed, I think you should go with the webcam. Sure, the DSLR would be tons better, but seeing as it's your family's camera, it will restrict you so you cannot animate whenever you want. Webcams these days have increased in quality greatly since I had a webcam. Since you know how to use a webcam well, and you have the feel of one, you should use it until you can save the money to buy your own DSLR.

Rioforce makes some good points. You should probably listen to him(: Haha I can't help it, I'm a DSLR purist (to some extent)

Webcam fan all the way.  My filmology is evidence that webcams work.

Can't do this with a DSLR AND pan in this position:
http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/po … 8/#p333468

Can't get smooth dolly's on a tripod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niCkPFzygSg

Can't get a DSLR for <$200
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-HD-Pro-W … B003M2YT96

DSLR has better quality on paper, but in real life ... well, you need to work that bit out yourself and how much flexibility you want vs quality.  My films are 720p - yes - 720, and never have I got a "your films look like low res crap" comment.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

togfox wrote:

Webcam fan all the way.  My filmology is evidence that webcams work.

Can't do this with a DSLR AND pan in this position:
http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/po … 8/#p333468

Can't get smooth dolly's on a tripod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niCkPFzygSg

Can't get a DSLR for <$200
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-HD-Pro-W … B003M2YT96

DSLR has better quality on paper, but in real life ... well, you need to work that bit out yourself and how much flexibility you want vs quality.  My films are 720p - yes - 720, and never have I got a "your films look like low res crap" comment.

You could most certainly do all the stuff you listed (minus to <$200, but no one should expect to pay that little for a DSLR) you'll just have to get more creative with your solutions to the problem.

In the first example, you could potentially build a similar rig around a camera tripod so that the camera maintains similar flexibility and can pan around the shot. You'll have to put it beside a table and add some support around it, but you'll still be able to get the exact same shot.

As for the second one, I don't really know why you're referring to a tripod. Most stop-motion animators, even when you get up to the big leagues at Laika and whatever, will tell you that a dedicated camera dolly is the way to go for these shots. This tutorial shows you how to make a servicible one on the cheap. You can also make a really good dolly out of LEGO, but I can't find the link to the thread made about that right now and I'll edit it in when I've found it.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

I have the C920 and the quality is really bad even with a lot of adjusting and stuff its just really grainy. I also have the T3i and I think that if your ever going to get in to stop motion as a job you really need to learn how to use a good camera. And the quality is waaaaaaay better. But I do have to say that animating without a program is a lot harder. I did just buy Dragon Frame and it is also amazing.

Last edited by osomstudios (November 3, 2014 (12:13pm))

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Hmm. Is there anyone else who has had problems with the C910/20 being grainy? If this is a recurring problem I'll use the T2i.

Thanks for all the input, guys, it's really helpful. mini/smile

--Mighty

Yea GHB has had a lot of problems with grain to. Im not sure though it might just be because we have Macs. But it just seems like what your going to get out of a web cam really dosint compare with what your going to get out of the T2i.

Hope that helps
OsomStudios

My Youtube

I have a bit of trouble with my C910 on occasion, but it's inconsistent.
Over-exposing the video just a touch and using brighter-colored sets gets rid of all the grain, which is why I've done that several times. But trying to get darker lighting, especially on dark sets, is really tricky, and at that point I have three options.

1, Keep messing with it. For some reason unplugging the camera for an extended period appears to help. That and
   rearranging the lights. Half the time I can get it improved with time and effort.
2, Film with brighter lights and darken in post. Haven't done it much, but it does work.
3, Give up and let it be grainy. I've done this a lot more than I like to admit, but people don't comment on it, so I guess it's ok.

What film capture software do you use?

I'm pretty sure this issue has been addressed fairly well.

More questions!

It's pretty unfortunate how there isn't really any in-between cameras (price range-wise) between webcams ($100/$130ish) and DSLRs/camcorders ($400ish+). Now I'm considering getting something on my own, what with Christmas coming up and all.

So what about HD camcorders? From what I've seen:

• It would probably be about the same price for a good camcorder as it would for a DSLR

• Good quality

• As opposed to a DSLR, it's not quite as much of an investment (no extra lenses, AC adapter, etc.)

• I would need an HDMI card/adapter

• Pretty bulky

Is there anyone here who has experience with a camcorder? Would a camcorder be worth purchasing over a DSLR?

Unless I can find another option, which I haven't, it kind of looks like it's camcorder vs. DSLR. The biggest thing in favor of the DSLR is the versatility and picture control, and, possibly, size; the camcorder's best feature is its (mostly) one-time expense, contrasting what could be purchased to add to the functionality of a DSLR.

--Mighty

DSLRs are multipurpose. You can use it as a camera and as a video camera, and for stop-motion. It will pay off (maybe not with money, but with value) with just a few pictures. You'll love it. Not all DSLRs are over 400 dollars. I bought my Nikon D3100 kit (refurbished on Adorama) for a little over 300 last Christmas. In September, I bought a 50 dollars lens (which was not entirely necessary, because it came with a lens). It is better than I even imagined. I love my DSLR, and if you get a camcorder, you'll probably regret it.

But now I'm looking at HD camcorders, and they are considerably cheaper, but I'm not sure it they would be worth it. They are like a large webcam, and probably don't have much software to support it. Also, I'm afraid that the age of camcorder stop-motion is over, because a lot of the time, the reason for using a camcorder instead of a point-and-shoot was because camcorders had tape, which could be run in other things without having to compile your frames. Now-a-days, it's all digital, so I'm not sure if the camcorder would be good or not. (I have not used a camcorder for years, because I had a point-and-shoot and a webcam. Now I have a DSLR, and I love it, as you can see above).

Also, the investment part might be as big of a deal as you think. Looking at your list, you say you will need a power adapter and extra lenses for a DSLR. Not true. I only use my battery, because power adapters for Nikon are about 60 dollars. I just charge my battery when it goes dead, and at meal times when I'm not animating. As for lenses, I waited 9 months to buy a new lens, and it was very affordable, but that wasn't not even necessary, my lens worked fine, but it had issues with light flicker. But of course, it's your budget, and I understand how hard budgets are...

Last edited by rioforce (December 11, 2014 (03:08pm))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

More questions!

It's pretty unfortunate how there isn't really any in-between cameras (price range-wise) between webcams ($100/$130ish) and DSLRs/camcorders ($400ish+). Now I'm considering getting something on my own, what with Christmas coming up and all.

So what about HD camcorders? From what I've seen:

• It would probably be about the same price for a good camcorder as it would for a DSLR

• Good quality

• As opposed to a DSLR, it's not quite as much of an investment (no extra lenses, AC adapter, etc.)

• I would need an HDMI card/adapter

• Pretty bulky

Is there anyone here who has experience with a camcorder? Would a camcorder be worth purchasing over a DSLR?

Unless I can find another option, which I haven't, it kind of looks like it's camcorder vs. DSLR. The biggest thing in favor of the DSLR is the versatility and picture control, and, possibly, size; the camcorder's best feature is its (mostly) one-time expense, contrasting what could be purchased to add to the functionality of a DSLR.

--Mighty

I agree with Rioforce

I have used a older camcorder before and goten really bad results. I know some of the newer ones are better. but as far as I know there quality doesn't even compare and they often don't seem to have as many settings. About needing to buy new lenses I see it as more of an option to expand than a need[A option a camcorder doesn't have]. As far as Im concerned if the DSLR is close to the same price buy it. After all you don't see many stop motion features shot with a camcorder. Last but not least I would recommend going to a store that sells them and just looking at them and seeing which one looks and feels the best. And asking the sales guys about the cameras and seeing which ones they like best and why.

Hope that helps
OsomStudios

Last edited by osomstudios (December 11, 2014 (06:01pm))

My Youtube

I'd go with the C920, or C910. Osom said it can be grainy, and he was correct in saying that I've had an extensive history of it delivering horrible, grain-filled images. He was also correct in saying that webcams have limited capability when running on a Mac, but I'm pretty certain that you can get some really great quality when running with a Windows machine. I also agree with togfox in saying that you can get some pretty sick shots when using a webcam that you most definitely cannot achieve when using a T2i, or DSLR for that matter.

I use a C910, and I do not have problems with grain. Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHVDzvpRKvE

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

GHB and RedBrick1, thanks for the webcam input. What I'm doing right now is comparing different cameras to compare them and see what I can/can't work with. I set up a dark scene with some lighting, which is what I have quality trouble with using the QuickCam, I took my QC, my sister's T2i, and my friend's soon-to-be-borrowed C910 and shoot the same set with all of them.

I've taken the QC and T2i test shots for comparison, and I'll add the C910 shots when I borrow that (so far the T2i completely obliterates my problem, but we'll see if the C910 works with my setup [and, if so, I will go with that; I would not mind sacrificing the really high quality for maneuverability]).

Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag30/mightywanderer/LQCP9k1_zps9b81b149.jpg

Canon EOS Rebel T2i

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag30/mightywanderer/T2i2_zps7dcf0649.jpg

Logitech C910

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag30/mightywanderer/C910_zps3172c1fd.jpg
I accidentally took this at 720p instead of 1080p, and there is MUCH less grain when I'm shooting in full quality.

Last edited by Mighty Wanderer (December 18, 2014 (08:19pm))

I see a little bit of grain and over sharpened images.

I'd use the T2i whenever you can. Not worth paying for something when you can just use something for free basically whenever.

I used to use a C910 for only about a month then got really frustrated with using it that I ended up picking up a T2i and a couple lens for $500.

Worth every penny for the DSLR.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

So I was able to pick up my friend's C910 today, and I'm really glad I did so. While it's definitely not the quality of a DSLR, this fixes my current problem just fine (and is so much cheaper). I'm going to see about getting a C920 for Christmas now.
^ You can see the comparison pictures above ^

Carroll, how did you find the C910 frustrating?