Topic: Sinner Monologues

Directory Link

Sinner Monologues

YouTube

Sometimes it's what isn't said that's the most important...and sometimes not.

Re: Sinner Monologues

Film noir is something that we rarely see on film and in brick form.
This was a very special treat indeed.

Excellent job and thank you for sharing.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Awesome job! Reminded me a bit of some older brickfilms, particularly the opening shot. I loved the little details, like the fan or the swirling of the glass.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

That was awesome, but I thought that the detective's voice was a bit fast.  He seemed in a rush.  I'm not too familiar with noir though, so that may be a thing. 

Besides that, I loved every part of this.

Awesome concept, execution, right down to the foley. Cinematography perfectly echoed some of the classic tropes of the genre, and while the set was sparse, even that is accurate for the style. Wicked decanter, and the foley for that especially got my attention and sold the environment.

Also, hilarious!

Amazing animation, cinematography, and camera movements.  However I didn't find it all that funny.  Overall it's definitely worth a watch for the animation alone.
                                                                                    7/10

Spoiler (click to read)

Holy cow, I laughed so hard at that part near the end where everything just went silent and the monologues stopped.

This is just really great. You nailed the Film Noir look and feel, and its just really cool. The camera movements, the lighting, the sound, all of it.

EDIT: That shot with the ceiling fan was really cool too.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

I loved this so much. It really felt like a noir at first. Then it got hilarious. Great job MindGame.

The lighting and cinematography were wonderful. I particularly loved the shot starting at 0:44 and I thought the comedic reveal at the end was very funny. My only complaint is that there wasn't much to differentiate monologue and dialogue, but I could still follow it fine.

I love it.  Fantastic cinematography, lighting, and animation (love the shot with the fan, the train passing by, and the swirling of the whiskey glass--I'd be really happy to see a BTS on this).  The ending is really funny as well, perfect comedic timing.

However, I found the detective's voice a bit difficult to understand at times, and also felt the inner monologues and dialogues sounded a bit too similar.  Also, the music felt slightly unfitting and over-the-top, as it sounded more like the sort you would hear in an old-fashioned epic rather than a typical Noir, though it did make the film funnier in my opinion.  But these are very minor nitpicks that don't detract much at all.

Also, just curious, why did you end up using square tiles for the bottom of the whiskey tumblers?  I personally would have thought that using the new(ish) round flat tiles would have worked better.  Just wondering, that's all.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

That one camera movement is crazy cool, I'd love to see a BTS timelapse of that. Cinematography was excellent, I've always found LEGO bricks to be a difficult subject to light but you did an excellent job here. Hope to see some more animations from you in the near future!

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Golly the lighting in this is well-done. It's hard to create pockets of light, like the one shining over the gun, at such a tiny scale and it works well here.

Good dialog and an excellent sense of comedic timing. I appreciate some of the small directorial choices -- like cutting back to the man's monologue mid-word, succinctly communicating that it has been going the entire time that you cut to color, unheard by us. There's a level of finesse in choices like that that I think is rare in brickfilms.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said but I want to voice my admiration for this film nonetheless...great lighting, great camera movements, great cinematography and great concept - all excellently executed. Well done!!

TCOTY Entry: The Perks of Being TCOTY
ToY Entry: Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Please visit me on the YouTubes!
Care to follow me on the Twitter?

sillypenta wrote:

My only complaint is that there wasn't much to differentiate monologue and dialogue, but I could still follow it fine.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

However, I found the detective's voice a bit difficult to understand at times, and also felt the inner monologues and dialogues sounded a bit too similar.

Yeah, I thought this was gonna be tricky, and I did my best to differentiate their EQ levels, but I think I could have spent more time on it. I'm still learning how to properly edit voice-over narration, haven't quite mastered that just yet.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Also, just curious, why did you end up using square tiles for the bottom of the whiskey tumblers?  I personally would have thought that using the new(ish) round flat tiles would have worked better.  Just wondering, that's all.

You're probably quite right, and the honest truth is that I forgot the rounded 1x1 tiles even existed at the time, hah. Probably could have put in a BrickLink order during production, though now I know what to use for tumblers in the future at least, should i need them again.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

(love the shot with the fan, the train passing by, and the swirling of the whiskey glass--I'd be really happy to see a BTS on this)

NXTManiac wrote:

That one camera movement is crazy cool, I'd love to see a BTS timelapse of that.

Well, you guys are in luck, I do have a BTS/VFX breakdown of this film that I'm gonna try to release later this week. I don't have a timelapse of the camera movement, but I have a couple stills of the initial setup, at least.

Thanks for your comments, guys! mini/bigsmile