Topic: New iPhone 6 Camera w/Stop Motion Pro: Cheap(er) solution for camera?

So recently my friend and I wanted to try and get into brickfilming. However, DSLRs are pretty expensive for a few kids in high school still too young to get a job.

However, we have two iPad Airs, three(soon to be 2) iPhone 5's, and soon to be one iPhone 6. that new camera is supposed to rival low-end DSLRs, and this app "Stop Motion Studio Pro" can control the cameras on the three iPhones from one iPad.

If you guys are still following this, what do you think? Could it work?

A link to the iTunes listing of Stop Motion Studio Pro can be found Here.

Re: New iPhone 6 Camera w/Stop Motion Pro: Cheap(er) solution for camera?

IF the app truly lets you have full manual control of the camera, which it claims to do, then yes, it could work. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the camera on the iphone rivals low end DLSRs, as there are issues with sensor size, etc. that I won't get into. But the app seems to effectively use the camera on your phone the same way an animation program would use a web cam, so since you have the phone already, and can use another phone to remotely trigger the camera (this is important, you never want to touch you camera while filming), I think this seems like a perfectly reasonable option for getting into the hobby.

Will you get control over focus and brightness etc etc through the app?  If so, you should be good.  I question the quality of the phone camera, but admit I haven't looked up the specifications.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

The iPhone 4S was unveiled in 2011, and ever since, Apple has included an iteration of that 8 megapixel sensor in each consecutive model of their phone. The iPhone 6's camera equals or outdoes its seemingly superiorly specced rival phones, basically because Apple has heavily refined their camera (making pixels larger, increasing the aperture, more light etc etc). Basically, its an exceptional camera for a phone, and judging it on it megapixels alone is wrong.

That said, perhaps due to Apple's love-affair with thinness, you lack optical zoom. Instead the iPhone 6 sports digital zoom, which deteriorates the quality of your image the more you enlarge. So that's a massive negative. Also, the price of an unlocked iPhone with decent storage is incredibly high (for poor Australian me, the 64GB iPhone 6 hovers around AU$999), so unless you want to be roped into a plan, you might as well seriously look at some DSLRs.

That app you found says in its description that it has:

Full Camera Control
• Full 1080p and 720p support on selected devices
• Front and back camera support with full focus control
• Camera zoom
• Automatic or manual white balance and exposure control
• Cinema Mode (2.35:1)

Essentially everything you need for brickfilming. But frankly, I say just test out your iPhone 5 with the app, and if you are getting a 6, it should work too, but you'll be making some sacrifices (e.g. zoom). I will stress this though, don't just go out and get an iPhone 6 specifically for brickfilming because you definitely can get a very good DSLR for a lower price.

Carousel wrote:

That said, perhaps due to Apple's love-affair with thinness, you lack optical zoom. Instead the iPhone 6 sports digital zoom, which deteriorates the quality of your image the more you enlarge. So that's a massive negative. Also, the price of an unlocked iPhone with decent storage is incredibly high (for poor Australian me, the 64GB iPhone 6 hovers around AU$999), so unless you want to be roped into a plan, you might as well seriously look at some DSLRs.

Essentially everything you need for brickfilming. But frankly, I say just test out your iPhone 5 with the app, and if you are getting a 6, it should work too, but you'll be making some sacrifices (e.g. zoom). I will stress this though, don't just go out and get an iPhone 6 specifically for brickfilming because you definitely can get a very good DSLR for a lower price.

Well, the HOPE is that I'll be getting one for my birthday(Saw the box in my mom's car) next week. If I were to be getting one on my own, I would go with the DSLR any day.

Either way, tanks all of you who, even those I didn't quote, for the advice! If I can save up enough money from running my minecraft server, my first purchase will be a DSLR. Again, thank you so muchand I'm glad we can use what we have for brickfilming!

Huh http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Webcam-W … m+pro+9000

Again, The iPhone will more than likely be free.

Also, if anyone else is interested,I found a few other accessories that may be helpful as well.

Intriguing. I imagine it could be a little hard to get shallow DOF, which just tends to look nicer, on wider shots with such a tiny sensor, but that's less of a problem in macro focus for LEGO movies. If you can zoom to various focal lengths, that would resolve the issue most phone cameras have of being at a fixed and unreasonably wide focal length.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Bump.

Is it really a bump if the thread was already on top of the pile? Seems unnecessary. This query seemed to have been resolved so tell us what more it is you want to know.

Sorry, you're right.

Modpost:

Do NOT bump threads with "bump" or any other meaningless posts. This is spam. If you have something new to say, say it. Otherwise, let the thread sink.

Anyway, this thread is a near-duplicate of another thread that was recently posted. Go here to continue the discussion:
http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … ckfilmers/