Topic: Bored Little Girl

Directory Link

Bored Little Girl

YouTubery

What's a little girl to do when she's bored?

TCOTY Entry: The Perks of Being TCOTY
ToY Entry: Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Please visit me on the YouTubes!
Care to follow me on the Twitter?

Re: Bored Little Girl

That was fun, love the idea of characters going through the film as the background changes around them.

I loved the one-shot aspect of this film. The set changes were well done and the sets themselves were nicely designed (my favourite was the rocket). However, I couldn't help notice how little animation there was in many of the settings.

That was very cute. I haven't seen one of your films in awhile, and this was a fun treat.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Thanks to all the people who watched and thanks for the comments.

sillypenta wrote:

However, I couldn't help notice how little animation there was in many of the settings.

True; aside from the movement of the sets themselves, there was very little 'traditional' animation in this short. I went back and forth on this but ultimately decided this was the way I wanted to go. For me, the 'true story' was not necessarily the narrative of the girl's adventure (first she did A, then B, then C, etc.) but rather the whimsy and magic of imagination and how rapidly a child can jump from idea to idea, linked only by their by creativity and (to use it again) imagination. The girl (in this case) herself does not change; she is the same. The real focus is where her mind takes us. Once I realized this, I knew that I needed to focus on the movements of the sets themselves rather than the characters. I was torn about whether or not to even have her lean over while on the moon - I liked the idea of keeping her body still throughout the entire thing but ultimately determined that there should be some, albeit very little, interaction with the sets around her. Hopefully you'll agree that it still works despite the sparing use of 'traditional animation' from the characters themselves.

Again, I appreciate the comments and hope that the people who watched the film enjoyed it.

I would have liked to have seen either a bit more action in the animation or a bit more detail in the sets, but still, the concept and execution alone produced quite a charming and fun little film. Nicely done.

Last edited by MindGame (September 3, 2014 (07:15pm))

Good message behind the film that we can all relate to!

That was really. Really like that camera movement and the end was pretty cool. Nice job.

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

I really enjoyed this film. It's refreshing to see a brickfilm that uses stop-motion to achieve something that would be hard to replication in other mediums.

I understand your reasoning behind keeping character animation to a minimum, and I'm glad you explained it, but I still would have liked to see more animation from the characters.

I hope to see more creative, original films like this in the future.

Great stuff.  I can see that too much animation would distract from the story, and its a great story.  Great narration too.  That your voice?

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Thanks so much for the additional comments. I really appreciate reception and the feedback!

osomstudios wrote:

That was really. Really like that camera movement and the end was pretty cool. Nice job.

Thanks, glad you liked it. Actually, the camera never moved - only the sets themselves moved. I've been meaning to post a few 'behind the scenes' shots to my Twitter account to show the basics of how I did it (although I think it's fairly self evident in the film itself). BTW, except for the last two shots of the mother in the living room and the girl playing in her room, the entire animation was filmed in 1 shot. I had both halves of the 11 different sets lined up on each side of the center 'guide bar' and cycled through them all in one evening.

togfox wrote:

That your voice?

It is. I lost track of how many takes it took to get the final narration. Almost two full minutes of fairly rapid narration was a challenge.

Nathan and Zach, your points about the extent of the animation are well taken. I glad you still enjoyed the film though!

chalksters55 Thanks! I think LEGO was the perfect medium for this message.

Again, thanks so much for watching and, more importantly, thanks for your feedback and comments. I really appreciate it.

Not much that I can say that hasn't already been said.
I gotta say I really enjoyed this mini/smile

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon