Topic: The Knightly Quest of Knightly Quest-y-ness

Directory Link

The Knightly Quest of Knightly Quest-y-ness

YouTube

Ever get tired of the same old story? The princess gets captured, the knight saves her and falls in love with her... blah blah blah... Well, this
should be a slight refreshment for you.

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Re: The Knightly Quest of Knightly Quest-y-ness

The lines were funny and were voiced well by the actors, the jokes and brickfilm references worked, and the kings arms were well animated, the rest of the film was quite decent. The intro went quite a while without animation and some things were a little overly random.

Last edited by END films (August 28, 2014 (05:18pm))

In one month you have done as much animation as I have done in four years mini/eek , I'm really glad you didn't use the CGI lair, it would have looked really out of place, lots of great stuff here, a very fun movie over all, just wish you would have made a micro scale castle or something for the opening, the key was pretty bad on the image you used, but that's a pretty small gripe.

Animation is superb.  I think the dialogue is a little over done - but great flick.  You should be happy with that one.  mini/smile

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Really good film. The animation was smooth, with a nice cartoony feel to it, and it was well written and funny all the way through. The sets could probably have used some work, but I think their fine for the type of style you went for here. Nice work. mini/smile

I'll agree with the general consensus, the voice acting and plot were great, as was most of the animation, but it did have some flaws. Notably, the over-use of still frames early on, the makeshift sets, and certain parts of the sound design.

The narration at the start is quite funny, and sets things up well, but things don't get going until after a quarter of the run time is gone. Then, forty seconds are used up at the end with the Knight's secret attack, leading to a slightly odd pacing, and an ending that kinda feels like an quick ending, but also feels like it only came a few seconds early. The piano jokes worked on some levels, but sometimes they kinda fell flat.

Is there any particular reason you chose that song for the end? Am I missing something, or did you just pick something random? And while I'm on the subject of sound, the noises generally worked, but I feel the knight's armor needed better sounds. It sounded like dragging metal around rather than a more clank-y sound.

On the other hand, the running joke with the princess worked even better in-film than it did on paper, and I wasn't expecting the brilliant fence-jumping jokes.  The dragon fight scene looked pretty good, and the animation is smooth all throughout the short. The plot is a nice relief from the cliche, and and manages to stay fairly unpredictable and provide some nice humor.

Sure, it could have used some work in places, and the quality of the various aspects differ to a certain degree, but the sum of the parts is still good fun.

the voice acting and plot were great

Especially the voice acting mini/wink

Is there any particular reason you chose that song for the end? Am I missing something, or did you just pick something random?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling

As for everyone saying that the opening narration was too long, I agree with you. I only kept the entire thing because I honestly thought that it was one of the most hilarious things I'd ever heard. A lot of it was Pushover ad-libbing, and I just decided to keep it in. Yes, I hate the chroma keying at the beginning too. The ending could have been a lot better, but I didn't want to show anything redundant (such as the knight getting married or the wizard being banished).

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

You did a great job on this. Your animation quality is just amazing, and I assume that you will start getting subscribers just for that alone. The fight scene is really well animated too. You also had some pretty funny moments in there, especially the jokes with the piano.

As far as the beginning  goes, I would say that it probably did go on too long (which would be my fault). The part with the narrators arguing could have used something a bit more instead of just staying on the picture for so long.

Anyways, I love this brickfilm. You did a great job!

Last edited by PushOverProductions (August 29, 2014 (12:42pm))

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

This was a really fun watch, I enjoyed it a lot.

Now, I'm really starting to want to watch Super Duck. I just really want to see more of this great animation and hilarious humor, now that I've seen this. This is a brilliant work of brickfilm comedy.

You've outdone yourself, brickelodeon. I loved your BRAWL entries, and this is just marvelous. The voice acting is all excellent, the animation is incredibly smooth, the VFX are well done, and the writing is hilarious.

Awesome job, Jared. I hope to see more wonderful stuff. Keep up the great work!

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Now, I'm really starting to want to watch Super Duck.

If you want great animation, don't watch Super Duck. However, the jokes are fairly decent. Thanks for your kind words, I was actually feeling a bit down about it until I read your post.

This was absolutely wonderful. For me, I tend to avoid 'longer' brickfilms because so many of them fail my personal [enjoyment/investment/value] matrix (don't ask) however, I quickly found myself engaged in the story and happily went along for the ride. I'll agree with what some others have already said about the still shots in the beginning, some choices on sound effects, and the film possibly benefiting from some editing, however, at the end of the day, the story, and the storytelling, was engaging. I'm indifferent to the

Spoiler (click to read)

Rick Roll

bit, however, if totally fit with the wackiness of the story so it ultimately worked.

Also, I also experienced a few outbursts of true belly laughs. The piano bits and the

Spoiler (click to read)

frog kick

made me literally laugh out loud.

Again, great job! Glad you shared this great film!

TCOTY Entry: The Perks of Being TCOTY
ToY Entry: Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Please visit me on the YouTubes!
Care to follow me on the Twitter?

Loved that! mini/bigsmile

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

It looks like I only ever commented on this in chat and I think it deserves a real post. First of all, I have to say that Jay Silver should probably voice everything ever.

Spoiler (click to read)

SHE'S NOT UGLY, YOU TWIT!

The writing and sets were nicely executed once the film got going. I liked how you went for some cartoon humour without falling in to the 'LOOK HOW RANDOM' trap. I was laughing out loud at the part with the horse. This film's strengths greatly outweighed its weaknesses and I will definitely be checking out your next big project.

Most of the major criticisms have already been addressed so I won't repeat what others have said, but there is one I have to add. There were so many Dutch angles. These were distracting and my neck kept tilting as the film went along. They could be put to good use in certain scenes but they lose meaning in overabundance.

Very entertaining! Great gags and some very effective animation in there. Happy to be a part of it!

Huh. How did I miss your videos for so long? Some of them are really good! I especially like this one. It was the first brickfilm in a long, long time to literally make me laugh so hard I cried! Keep it up!

I really like your animation. I has come a long way since your first videos. Fun to watch.

I do think, however, that your videos could benefit a lot from a little bit more work spent on sets and lighting (imo). Keep at it!

I do think, however, that your videos could benefit a lot from a little bit more work spent on sets and lighting (imo)

Not even IMO, I do need to work on them. I've been trying to get my sets to look better for a long time, I've just had to get used to making stuff look realistic. As for lighting, HA! I never work on lighting, I use the same lighting setup for every set. I should try a bit harder on it in the future though.