Topic: "Occam's Razor" - A Dark Comedy Short Film

Hey guys, I posted the trailer for this a few weeks ago, but here's the completed film! Occam's Razor is a darkly comedic paranoid thriller that takes you on a twisting journey through the mind of a hardcore conspiracy theorist. This is definitely the most unusual short film I've made so far. Hopefully it will also be the LAST short film I make for a while because I'd really like to tackle a feature film next.

Anyway, it's almost 25 minutes long, so make sure you have some time to spare when you sit down to watch it. I'd love to know what you guys think!

http://oi61.tinypic.com/x3cz29.jpg
Click here to watch the film!

Buck The System Blog
"I aim to misbehave."
- CPT Malcolm Reynolds

Re: "Occam's Razor" - A Dark Comedy Short Film

I watched it and I liked it.  Production quality is excellent.  Editing, sound, photography, visual style, the build of tension, and the keeping of my interest are all good.

But the delivery of the message is a little... literal.  It's a message I agree with and one I hope certain people would take to heart, but I felt disappointed that it was spoken plainly.  I guess the style of the film had built up the expectation that there would be some clever device.  Of course, maybe that was the message, that there is no clever, hidden message, that usually things are what they seem.

Thanks Rev! Glad you liked it.

I completely understand your disappointment with the message being so literal, though. That's the number one criticism I've seen from people who aren't heavily involved in anarchist/libertarian activism circles. There's a few reasons for the blunt and obvious delivery of the message at the end, and to be honest... They're more strategic than they are artistic.

I originally conceived the film in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook shooting. ALL of the insane posters you see about "Sandy Hoax" are taken from REAL websites (If you want a good laugh, go to "WellAware1.com"). I just got so fed up with fellow anarcho-libertarian activists buying into stupid conspiracy theories - and other people assuming that I buy into them as well due to my philosophical/political beliefs - that I decided to make a film making fun of such theories. I thought it would be hilarious to make a dark comedy neo-noir in the vain of The Big Lebowski... You know, where the mystery is sort of a total non-event at the end of the film.

The narration was supposed to give the film something along the lines of a hardboiled detective vibe while also making the message make sense. However, once the film was done, I sort of fell in love with how well it worked as a silent movie. As this is one of my few projects that wasn't made for any sort of competition and it had no real deadline, I agonized for MONTHS about whether or not to include ANY narration at all while I made other shorts. The only part of the film that I think most people would have missed without any dialogue whatsoever was the idea that this guy SHOULD have been focusing on real issues like war and civil liberties violations instead of insane satanic conspiracy theories. The story itself makes perfect sense without the narration, and in many ways I like it better without it. All my filmmaker friends who saw it wondered why I was even considering adding narration at all.

And that's why the inclusion of narration comes down to a tactical decision more than an artistic one... Because that one tiny point that isn't integral to the actual plot is pretty much the sole reason for the film's existence, and without narration that point would likely be completely lost on the people who need to hear it most. I would say that most of my films contain libertarian messages. Occam's Razor, on the other hand, contains a message FOR libertarians. And that's something I didn't want to abandon, especially since most of my views are going to come from libertarian circles anyway. I actually hacked down the narration quite a bit from what it originally was. I cut it down to what I felt where the bare essentials.

Ultimately, I THINK I made the right decision, even though I know it damages the film slightly in the eyes of many cinephiles. If you want a good laugh, check out some of the comments... I've gotten a few dislikes from people who are basically accusing me of being some sort of government psy-op trying to make libertarians, Christians, and gun-owners look crazy. Which is hilarious, since I myself fall squarely into all three of those demographics. I imagine the backlash from the lunatic fringe that comprises a large part of my audience would potentially be even WORSE if I hadn't added the narration for clarity.

Anyway... Thanks again for watching it!

Buck The System Blog
"I aim to misbehave."
- CPT Malcolm Reynolds

I think you were right to leave the narration in, too. I like that it's a different train of thought than what's happening on screen, though related. I think without the narration it would feel too slow moving.

The intended audience does indeed make your approach very sensible.

I actually once had a room mate who believed in shape shifting reptilian overlords, that guy was a piece of work, and I managed to get him out of my place on a technicality.

Finally got around to sitting down, and watching this all the way through. It was scary how spot on it was. From the misinterpretation of a wave, to the "I'm so important, I'm going to save the world through internet research" mentality, you captured the crazed conspiracy theorist mentality perfectly. Nice work!

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm