Topic: How to get good lighting in a bonfire scene

So I and BlockPartyAnimationStudios are working on a small video and it involves a bonfire scene. I'm currently using an orange light brick put under the fire to give it a glow but unfortunately it's not strong enough to light the whole scene properly. I don't want to use a whole other lamp because that'll make it super unrealistic as it's supposed to be nighttime with no other light source. What I'm really looking for is to have everyone who's sitting around the fire lit up decently without some other lamp.

Does anyone have any tips as to how to light a bonfire scene correctly?

Thanks!

Re: How to get good lighting in a bonfire scene

I would use the brick light for the fire element, and then have an over head light gel-ed to the same color and mask it so it created a small circle of light around the fire, then I would use a fain blue light as fill for the surrounding areas.

You can also elevate the set, and then shine a bright light through the transparent bricks of the fire, if you're using flame bricks. I used this technique on an unreleased project and it works pretty well, if you have a bright enough light and a camera that can shoot with a long shutter speed. If you don't have a DSLR though, I'm not sure if it will work.

If you wrap a piece of aluminum foil (or black wrap) around a lamp and place it directly above the bonfire, making a funnel with a hole on the end, you can use that to limit the light to essentially a small, soft spotlight over the bonfire.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Evans designs do a fire kit for $6: http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/ledlights1.html
This isn't the first time I've mentioned them here, but I have no connection with them at all, honest! Just think they do some good stuff at bargain prices as far as miniature lighting goes...

Well, an orange light brick is not very bright, so that's a bit of a problem.

Perhaps you should still have a light built into the set, but you should do a brighter one.  Do you have any?
Of course, a brighter light may be bigger, and may involve having to elevate the entire set significantly to get it working.  If the light is still too dim you could crank up the exposure a bunch.  I often use really long exposures, of course, most people don't have the patience for that.

I still think you should have a second light source, though.  As well as the fire, it would bit nice to have a subtle bluish white glowing coming from above, maybe slightly behind.  It should be very dim compared to the fire, though.  So dim that without the fire it would only add a faint shine at the edges of the characters.  But I still think it would do well to enhance the scene.

Thanks guys! I'll hopefully get something worked out.