Re: We the Pumpkins Three

Wow, there's a lot of suggestions and critiques in this thread. I don't have anything really to add in that department. 

I do want to say, despite it's minor flaws, I still think this is a really solid entry. It is possibly one of the most impressive brickfilms ever in terms of lighting. How long was the exposure on some of those shots?

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Walter Benson wrote:

How long was the exposure on some of those shots?

For the Pumpkin's lair, as with Odoriferous, I had to do a one second exposure, which was especially annoying since I duck down under the table for every frame.  This made animation take a lot longer.
I had to because the central element of lighting was the glowing vat of orange potion, which was lit by an iPhone screen.  Despite having it at maximum brightness, it was still relatively dim.  Also, as in Odoriferous, I had one of my lamps shined at a wooden log cabin wall to warm its light up slightly and dim it significantly to add a slight bit of extra light.  For this film specifically though, I had a piece of orange paper above the set which has an LED flashlight shining at it.  This provides most of the light not from the vat of potion and reflects off of the Pumpkin's hat.  I also had the glass with a flashlight shining through it which added a sparkle onto certain parts of the set.  I particularly liked it when some of the potions on tables near the walls were in the foreground with some light from the window sparkling off of them.

For another shot, though, I used a two second exposure.  I forgot which one that was, though (it might have been the one with the glowing potion pot).

For the shot of the potion lighting up and then going out, I had the same light lighting up the potion but took a picture of that glowing potion with every exposure setting on my camera betwixt 1 1000th of a second and 30 seconds.  I have to manually adjust the settings on the camera itself so I had to be horribly careful not to bump the camera as I adjusted the exposure every frame.  Towards the end I also had to wait a really long time, but I managed to get it in one take.
This shot ended up being a little too long, so I took out half the frames to make it light up faster, and then took those cut frames and placed them in reversed order on the other end to make it fade out.
One of the things I really like about that shot is you can see how the light looks at so many different levels and how they all make the potion look different, but all together they work splendidly sequentially.

Meh, not your best work, IMO. But, you definitely worked hard on this, and you did well with the rhyming. Congrats on getting fourth place in the final results, Squid!

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I... must admit. I hadn't watched this before, it slipped by me when I was taking a hiatus from the site. Beautiful animation and lighting as always. Set design was superb, and I loved the writing. Creative idea doing it in the form of a poem. The sound design was good as well, fit well with the visuals. The one thing that seemed a bit off, was the narration. At times it sounded like you were running out of breath. But that is a very nitpicky criticism.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

I just realized this wasn't on the film page. Well anyways pretty nice film Squid.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Yes, it looks weird that I just posted today, but for months I had neglected to submit it to the directory properly after it was up again (it was down for just a short while during the same time as BRAWL).

I'm really fond of how BiM keeps track of all of your completed films on a nice little list as well as all of your voice acting, and i didn't want to leave this out, even with its many flaws.

Squid wrote:

Yes, it looks weird that I just posted today, but for months I had neglected to submit it to the directory properly after it was up again (it was down for just a short while during the same time as BRAWL).

I'm really fond of how BiM keeps track of all of your completed films on a nice little list as well as all of your voice acting, and i didn't want to leave this out, even with its many flaws.

Yes ofcourse. It's fun to build your list. mini/tongue 

Looks like you got a mighty big voice acting list there. mini/tongue

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

One of your best films!