Topic: Blue and Gray: An American Civil War brickfilm

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/p370x247/10404445_4764482167601_762094299421330116_n.jpg?oh=c206d46dcd5d6e004445196e9859b07a&oe=54D26FFE

Today is July 22, 2014. Now, many of you may not know it, but today is the sesquicentennial (150 year anniversary) of the Battle of Atlanta. Never heard of it? That's okay, I don't expect you to. On this day, I announce my newest and largest project: Blue and Gray. Blue and Gray is a Civil War epic that revolves around two brothers, William and Johnathan Compson, two brothers that find themselves on opposite sides of the war, the Battle of Atlanta, specifically. Though there has been a brickfilm similar to this, called "the brother's war" by golden mind studios, this one will show the viewpoint of both brothers, and be on a MUCH larger scale. The estimated budget for this film is $175 US Dollars, with approximately 50 union soldiers and 60 confederate soldiers, all in appropriate 19th-century attire, I might add (aren't decals great?) I have already finished the script, and am currently working on storyboards and set-building. I will post more updates later. Feel free to comment, but please don't drag politics about the war into this.

Last edited by texas_cheeto_hog (January 16, 2015 (11:10pm))

"Defeat is always momentary."

-Carl Denham, King Kong (2005)

Re: Blue and Gray: An American Civil War brickfilm

What's the Battle of Atlanta? I've never heard of it.

Squash wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Atlanta

"The Battle of Atlanta was a battle of the Atlanta Campaign fought during the American Civil War on July 22, 1864, just southeast of Atlanta, Georgia. Continuing their summer campaign to seize the important rail and supply center of Atlanta, Union forces commanded by William T. Sherman."

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Seems like a good idea. There is a certain lack of Civil War brickfilms, so its nice to see a new project spark up about this historical event.
I'll most likely be keeping an eye to this project!

Squash wrote:

Ever heard of a General Sherman marching through Georgia during the American Civil War? That's when the Battle of Atlanta happened.

I love WWII Brickfilms, so this will also be interesting for me to see.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

texas_cheeto_hog wrote:

all in appropriate 19th-century attire, I might add (aren't decals great?)

WHOOOOW. What did you just say? Decals?

Just go on Bricklink or something and get some printed torsos from the Western theme. I don't know but it's better and may aswell be even cheaper.

signature

WoutStopmotion wrote:
texas_cheeto_hog wrote:

all in appropriate 19th-century attire, I might add (aren't decals great?)

WHOOOOW. What did you just say? Decals?

Just go on Bricklink or something and get some printed torsos from the Western theme. I don't know but it's better and may aswell be even cheaper.

Sorry to disappoint you, but A) many of the uniforms (confederates in particular) aren't actual pieces, and were custom decals to begin with B) due to other people wanting to build union armies, the torsos are in high demand and low supply, costing about $2 each, and usually with only one available from each seller, costing nearly $5 each after shipping is added. C) I am over budget as it is, buying all the kepi caps and log pieces for Atlanta. In order to do this movie on the scale I want with actual pieces, I would need approximately $250 more dollars. D) I already have an extensive number of blue and gray torsos, even though the printing on them looks WAY too modern to be civil war era. I don't want to do what golden mind did, and just have a union soldier wearing padme amidala's torso while wearing a baseball cap. I want this to look accurate. So, rather than paying more than my original budget for a bunch of torsos I may never use again, or pay ridiculous amounts of money for specially made online decals, I plan to copy the decals, paste them in a word document, print them on sticker paper, and use them to cover up the original torso's printing and make it look like a union torso. While some say decals don't look right, I have done this process before, and I think it looks good. Plus, decals allow me to use a larger amount of outfits than LEGO makes. It's more important that the torso fits the movie('s scale) than that it is an official Lego torso.

texas_cheeto_hog, there is no reason to be so hostile. It was a legitimate question. Please tone it down a notch.

Also, please try to use more paragraphs for better formatting and readability.

Nathan Wells wrote:

texas_cheeto_hog, there is no reason to be so hostile. It was a legitimate question. Please tone it down a notch.

Also, please try to use more paragraphs for better formatting and readability.

WoutStopmotion, I do apologize. If the message came across as hostile, I didn't mean it to. I was merely pointing out why I was using decals in a factual manner. Think of the tone as a computer or robot or some other mechanical voice with no emotion, like JOSHUA in War Games. Sometimes when you can only read words on a screen instead of hearing the person's voice, you loose the person's tone. I'm very sorry if I offended you mini/sad

NathanWells, I wrote that message on my phone while I was eating breakfast, so I may not have done the best job with formatting. LOL mini/wink

Sometimes our intent comes across a bit fuzzy over the internet, I hadn't read it as that hostel, mostly as annoyed. I am guilty of a few poorly formatted phone posts every now and again.

Lot of people seem to have there own 'visual code' they like to follow, some avoid flesh colored minifigs, others are not into decals, But so long as your film has visual continuity any style can be used to great effect.

It sounds like all the solders will have the decals so they should blend into the film well. I don't see any reason it can't look amazing, be sure to upload some pictures at some point so we can see how it's coming along!

I'm definitely interested in this, as there is a lack of large scale brickfilms, not to mention large scale battles. The premise sounds very interesting, and this sounds like it will be a great film, all around. Also, any idea how long the finished product will be?

YouTube Channel Edmeier Animation
Email: [email protected]

Edmeier Animator, thanks for showing interest! The script is about 13 page long, but the battle sequences, which have yet to be story boarded, may make the movie longer. My estimate is approximately 12-15 minutes, maybe more.

Filming is going to begin this week. All scenes without dialogue will be shot first while auditions are held. Please audition (you will most likely be cast if you do) mini/smile

Storyboarding is complete, filming will begin soon.

Last edited by texas_cheeto_hog (November 25, 2014 (11:58am))

I'm printing out decals, but I can't find any plain decals that are just blue, navy blue, or bluish gray. I need torso decals in this color to cover the backs of figures with back printing. I've searched the internet, and all I can find are superhero decals (Grr!) mini/twitch Also, photoshop and other programs won't work on my Microsoft HP, plus I know nothing about photo editing. Does anyone know where I can find plain decals in these colors or have any tips?

I'd like to audition for the part of General Johnston.

Hey Texas_cheeto_hog,

I noticed your comment about you needing a blue torso, I tried to have a look for you but no luck prevailed. However I did take the time to color it myself. I just took a general pirate torso, and re-did it in a blue cyan color. Hopefully it will be useful for you. The torso remains the same, if anything I'd cut a milimetre off the edges.

That should be no problem especially if you've used decals before.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2ltlvt4.jpg

Hopefully its helpful.

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Bricklink has a color chart that is very close to the colors of official LEGO plastic.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogColors.asp

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Thanks for the help, I have all the decals on the soldiers now, and have done a few test shots. Excited to finally begin filming! mini/bigsmile