Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

Harborlight Productions wrote:

They should be on a thread. A chat? I don't think so. mini/tongue

I mean, a live results chat, and then the results thread posted directly afterwards. I think it's more interesting with a chat; there's more anticipation as the results are announced.

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

Great to see so many entries.  I look forward to seeing the results.

I would have to say my favorite was Teleporter Trouble by twickabrick.   

I also enjoyed The Pumpkins Three by Squid, although some of the sets looked very familiar.  Squid is a genius at lighting.

Galen5055's entryThe Website was very well executed as well. 

Good luck all!  @(^_^)@

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

I agree that a live results chat would be a good idea. The live stream of the full playlist was great fun (...for all the wrong reasons, but still).

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

My Top 5 are:

5 - Photographic Development
Though this was a close tie with a fer other films, it's the only one I thought deserved a top 5 spot. That being said, many things stood out in this film in a negative way. The JFK joke really fell flat with me, as, I think that a serious brickfilm on the subject may actually be good someday. And, many of the other jokes seemed a little too ForrestFire101-esque to me, though, overall, for an off-the-wall comedy, it worked. (most of the time)

4 - Loyalty
Though Loyalty isn't in the top 3, I actually really liked this brickfilm - so much so, that I've added it to my little list of "all time favorite brickfilms." On that list, it comes in at about 20. Though this film is great, the technical aspects of it really wore it down for me - The camera focus being my main concern. It seems as if the camera only has one focus range, and when the camera zooms, the characters start out blurry and then end blurry, only for a few seconds being clear in the middle. Also, with the type of story there was, and how things ended up, I, personally, would have made the film black and white.

Spoiler (click to read)

and only have the coin be in color. Then, that'd make the ending reveal all the more dramatic!

3 - Check Please
I've already reviewed this one in depth, but, I'll sum it up here. It surprised me, made me laugh, and kept on a'going. No other comedy from this BRAWL had me laugh at EVERY joke like this one did.

2 - Blinders
This one, for me, was the most powerful. I literally had my jaw on the floor the entire time, taking in all of the beautiful animation, and, of course, that ending! However, as it lacked in story, it's just #2 for me.

1 - If Prison Bars Could Talk
This one just seems to be the most well balanced of all of the entries; both surprising me, and interesting me enough to watch it several times over.

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

The plan is to announce the results in the mibbit chat. Immediately after the announcement, the full results will be posted in a thread here on BiM.

The results should come out on or before Saturday, details to come.

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

I can't wait.

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

Thank goodness they'll come out before Sunday, I have to go to summer camp without any technology... So yeah. That's good news, when will the announcement be for the announcement of the results in the chat?

π Cherry π Banana Cream π Pumpkin π Lemon-Lemon π Black Berry π Quiche π

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

Sweet! But as fate would have it, those are my busiest days this week.... mini/tongue
But if I'm available, I'll try to be in chat.

The results are gunna be interesting this year, as there are a ton of great, and hard to compare, films.
Will we get a spreadsheet of all the scores, or will that be kept secret in an effort to reduce whining?

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

Dyland wrote:

And, many of the other jokes seemed a little too ForrestFire101-esque to me, though, overall, for an off-the-wall comedy, it worked. (most of the time)

I assume you're talking about the joke where Spurlock calls Hawtson an idiot basically. I did kind of think of that when I was finishing the film, but I didn't think it was too much of a problem. When I'm writing, I kind of just pull inspiration out of whatever corner of my mind that works, so I guess I just pulled it from there.

Though, on a similar note, I'm not sure how I feel about using one brickfilmer to be synonymous with certain bad qualities. We don't seem to do this with any other brickfilmer, and I feel as though doing this goes against what I feel is the spirit of this community. He's just a brickfilmer who does stuff in his films and probably wasn't the first to do what he did. This is absolutely nothing against you and I absolutely get what you're saying, it's just the terminology that bothers me.

But in any case, thanks so much for putting me in your top 5! I'm glad you liked my film!

(Please don't let this turn into another FF101 debate guy, plz.)

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

The results are gunna be interesting this year, as there are a ton of great, and hard to compare, films.
Will we get a spreadsheet of all the scores, or will that be kept secret in an effort to reduce whining?

I plan on releasing the full spreadsheet to the public. There will always be complaints about the results, because the results will never satisfy everyone's opinion.

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

The entries were incredible this year. Bravo! I really enjoyed seeing how well you all have grown in skill since the last BRAWL. Your personal styles have really developed.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

Top five...

5.) Blinders

4.) BRAWLING DURING BRAWL

3.) Photographic Developments

2.) LEGO Sub-Zero Shenanigans

1.) DOOET: Origins

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

My picks for top 3:

1. The Town of Florida

2. Sub-Zero Shenanigans

3. Photographic Developments

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

brickelodeon wrote:

My picks for top 3:

1. The Town of Florida

mini/delirium

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

My pick for the top 3:
1: Everyone
2: Me
3: Everyone

I can't separate it. It's too tough to call.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

LASF wrote:
brickelodeon wrote:

My picks for top 3:

1. The Town of Florida

mini/delirium

You don't realize how big of a kick I got out of it. Me and my brother are quoting it all day long, and we have started a new family meme "How could you screw up that badly". I just love the randomness of it, and I'm afraid that anybody who isn't in the Skype chat will just take it for granted.

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

brickelodeon wrote:
LASF wrote:
brickelodeon wrote:

My picks for top 3:

1. The Town of Florida

mini/delirium

You don't realize how big of a kick I got out of it. Me and my brother are quoting it all day long, and we have started a new family meme "How could you screw up that badly". I just love the randomness of it, and I'm afraid that anybody who isn't in the Skype chat will just take it for granted.

This just made my day. mini/bigsmile

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

brickelodeon wrote:

3. Photographic Developments

mini/bigsmile  Thanks, I'm so glad people like it! It really means a lot!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

Dyland wrote:

4 - Loyalty
Though Loyalty isn't in the top 3, I actually really liked this brickfilm - so much so, that I've added it to my little list of "all time favorite brickfilms." On that list, it comes in at about 20. Though this film is great, the technical aspects of it really wore it down for me - The camera focus being my main concern. It seems as if the camera only has one focus range, and when the camera zooms, the characters start out blurry and then end blurry, only for a few seconds being clear in the middle. Also, with the type of story there was, and how things ended up, I, personally, would have made the film black and white.

Spoiler (click to read)

and only have the coin be in color. Then, that'd make the ending reveal all the more dramatic!

Aw, thanks. mini/cat  I'm really happy I got on your list of favourite brickfilms.  And yeah, I am pretty aggravated by the technical difficulties.  There was a bit of a learning curve for me as I had to figure out how to do a bunch of new stuff I'd never tried before.  I think it worked out pretty well, all things considered (amongst other things, I had to deal with a camera with autofocus and no animation program).  I was still pretty rushed, though--which is why I intend to animate a short film to apply all the things I learned that will hopefully be (much) better.

I like the idea of black-and-white (some other people also suggested it), but it didn't occur to me at the time, and it would mean I couldn't use the colour mod.  And I honestly would have no idea how to pull off decolourising

Spoiler (click to read)

everything except the coin

in that space of time.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

LASF wrote:

4.) BRAWLING DURING BRAWL

Gabatay, man, I want to lose!  I want last place not fourth place!  I did my best to make that film bad!
YOU NEVER GO TO FOUR!

Anyway, since people are saying their top five, I'll say mine:

#5 If Prison Bars Could Talk
Impressive action stuff.

#4 Sub-Zero Shenanigans
So many fun random lolwut jokes.

#3 Loyalty
Cool cinematography and setting.

#2 Teleporter Trouble
This one probably has the most impressive animation, and it's also really funny.

#1 Character Development
It makes me feel delightful.  It makes me laugh.  It has a feel to it that I try to get in some of my own films, and I love it.

Sonjira and LASF get honorable mentions.  Wonderful stuff, guys.