Topic: Best DSLR camera?

https://www.youtube.com/user/chalksters55

Ok, so, I've been animating for five years now and I've used multiple cameras.  I started on a Nikon coolpix (don't remember the model) and that was when I was a younger kid and my animations were bad, like most of ours when we first started.  I moved up to a Quickcam Pro 9000 in 2011 as webcams were very popular back then.  However, as more and more brickfilmers start to use DSLR cameras for improved quality, I feel like I am falling behind. I also animate on an older desktop computer, and I hate it.  I would like to start animating on my MacBook Pro.  So, I have been debating on wether to buy a DSLR camera or just stick with my QC9000 (PC version) or maybe even buy a new webcam compatible with my Mac?  If I decide to buy a new DSLR, what is a good DSLR camera for brick filming for under $600 that comes with a live mode?  As you may have noticed, my knowledge in DSLR cameras is not very deep! Thanks!

Re: Best DSLR camera?

Making the jump to a DSLR is an expensive jump. There are hidden costs that go beyond the cost of the camera. You need software that works with DSLRs most likely Dragonframe. You can go without it but it makes animating a pain. You would also have to get an AC power adapter. I would get a refurbished Canon T3i if you are trying to get a decent camera as inexpensively as possible. Canon cameras are currently the best for stop motion and the Rebel series hasn't changed at all since the T2i. I would get the T3i over the T2i because it has the pop out screen. So in total the total cost of a DSLR for stop motion is somewhere around $1000.

I'd recommend a Nikon D7000. It's got live mode, and a lot of other features usually found in higher end models. The camera body is about $750(AUD) from Kogan. I would recommend using an 18/55mm lens with a 3rd part macro/wide angle attachment. Get all the Nikon products from Kogan if it's available in your country. It's more often than not the cheapest way to buy electronic goods, as they are pretty much selling them at wholesale prices. As for the lens attachment, find a camera store in a city like New York (they're on every corner there), and barter for the lowest price the store owner will give you. I got one this way for less than half price, and he even gave me a filter to protect it.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

DSLRs are expensive, but you don't need a super professional DSLR unless you are making a super professional film. Entry level DSLRs are fine for stop-motion. I don't necessarily recommend a Nikon camera (because of the software limitations and Canon has bundled capture software), but I have the D3100 and it works well. If you're planning n getting an entry level DSLR, though, get the newest model (like the D3200) because there are more features like Live View that you will want. I haven't done my research on Canon, so I cannot help you there, although I hear they are better than Nikon.

As for what AquaMorph said, you don't have to get an expensive software like DragonFrame. It's not absolutely necessary unless you started a company or something. Some of the cheaper ones will do.

Basically, work around your budget. If you have the money, get a professional camera. If not, get an entry level one.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I picked up my Canon SL1 for a little over $500 with no kit lens, I already had another 18-55mm Canon kit lens as well as a well rounded collection of Nikkor prime lens. It did not come with a power adapter which ran something like $60. I also got Dragonframe (around $300) because I need live view for some more complex sequence with lots of minifigs on set at once.

I'm not sure if the modern cameras have fixed the aperture light flicker issue with constantly opening the aperture to get more light for the preview shot, but using a Nikkor to Canon adapter that ran around $35 has fixed that for me. Some of the more inexperienced film makers using DSLRs seem to have a bit of flicker in the footage they animate, I'm not sure if that is due to light clothing or uncontrolled light, or aperture issues.

Most of my Nikkor lenses cost between $80 and $250 apace. The more I understand lens length and the more demanding I get on myself for my own cinematography the more I crave new lenses. I just ordered a 105mm lens after borrowing someone's because I felt like I couldn't live without it. (That puts my collection at 18mm, 24mm, 35mm, 55mm,105mm, and 300mm prime lenses)

As far as dialog goes, I shot over half of my current project blind, and I can animate dialog all day without any sort of reference, if only my films were mostly dialog and light on spectacle I could get away without using a frame grabber at all, all you really need is a detailed x-sheet and to keep track of what frame you are on (that's what the ticker marks are on the side are for) the little (oo) next to words with arrows by them are how I want the hands of the minifigs to move.

The issue I have with web cams is not so much the quality (although the DSLR quality is hands down better) but being forced to only film with a SUPER WIDE lens. If you can justify the cost owning a DSLR is really nice for more then just animating, but associated animation related costs will run you around $400 on top of the camera cost.

For me - stop motion is a hobby and I wouldn't use the camera for other things so I can't justify the $$ for a DSLR.  mini/sad

Everyone recommends the T3i in everythread without exception.  It must pretty awesome for our 'sport'.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

I think a good way to get rid of light flicker is with a couple of lamps, and a 2-3 second shutter speed. That way you can capture the same amount of light in each shot more accurately, rather than having a shutter speed fast enough to capture the lamp flickering.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

I use a Canon T5, but if you want to make the switch to DSLR stop motion, use the Canon T3 to start.

something should be here

I use a Nikon D3100, which is great - great image quality, and a high level of control over shutter speed and so on.

But think carefully before getting a DSLR, because it has none of the manoueverability of a webcam. Well, you can still move it about to get some interesting angles and cool camera movements, but it's more difficult than with a webcam.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein