Re: BRAWL 2014 Update Thread!

NXTManiac wrote:

I've always found it interesting how many THAC films and BRAWL films are of a similar length despite the wildly different time constraints.

Maybe a lot of people use the extra time to make more fleshed out scripts, sets and animation rather than a longer film. Not always true though since my BRAWL entry is approaching five minutes.

In theory, if a THAC animation is 2 minutes and made in 24 hours, a BRAWL animation should be 14 minutes long and made in 168 hours. But then again, sleep and procrastination have to happen some time, so a 7-day straight BRAWL would be impossible.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I just finished animating. I will be done as soon an Carroll gets a few lines to me.

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

I'm building my final set

Spoiler (click to read)

that will be used for a montage.

I should be able to finish shooting after I get home from work this evening, and I would have already had some editing done. I'm mostly concerned about SFX, given that I haven't looked into any yet, and I probably wont have the time to until Saturday.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

NXTManiac wrote:

I've always found it interesting how many THAC films and BRAWL films are of a similar length despite the wildly different time constraints.

I think the longer your deadline is, the more you procrastinate.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Pushover nailed it.
Also, with THAC, it's twenty-four hours straight, no work, no sleep, no family time, and only quick meals.
With BRAWL, most people still have normal activities going on, and can only get so much time away for brickfilming.
Plus stuff like sleep disrupts the "animation mindset" that can really speed things up.

I know last BRAWL, I was super-lazy and procrastinating badly, but still managed a fairly decent film.
But with THAC, it was full-steam ahead until I literally dropped into bed after sending off my submission email a couple hours before the deadline. This year, I've been hitting it pretty hard, but also working most days, and then with church and family stuff it's limited my time a bit.

That being said, my film this year is about 3:45 without credits, and I'm planning on adding a few extended shots that possibly could take it past the four minute mark. (Over five with credits is my goal, but I doubt I'll make it.) Though I feel I may have slipped in the quality in several places to achieve that running time.

Squid wrote:

Pritchard's AX film from BRAWL and THAC. I thought his first one seemed a little more like a really good THAC entry despite being made for BRAWL.  And for the second I thought it looked like a really good BRAWL entry despite being made for THAC.

That's funny, but only because it's totally true. Not sure how or why it happened.
Hopefully this years will behave itself. mini/dizzy

Pritchard Studios wrote:

I know last BRAWL, I was super-lazy and procrastinating badly, but still managed a fairly decent film.

Then I still have a chance.

My plan is to finish animating my film on Friday and edit everything on Saturday.  I think I could finish the whole thing about 3 hours before the deadline. mini/tongue

https://bricksafe.com/files/Wammy/Our%20Friend%20Pablo.jpg  Watch it on YouTube!

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."
~ Psalm 23:6 ~

In THAC, it's relatively easy to sleep extra the days before and after and thus be awake for the entirety of the 24 hours.  BRAWL, however, is too long for someone to stay up all the way through it.  Assuming one sleeps every night and spends time on some small other details like eating and such I'm going to guess they could only work on their film for about 12 hours a day.  That results in a total of 84 hours, or about three and a half days.

So theoretically, a BRAWL film could have 250% more effort put into it compared to a THAC video.
Of course, factor in procrastination, and this could be lowered substantially.

An important thing about length though is that different bits of animation take longer than others.  Some things take longer, some are faster.  For my Batman film I spent months on a mere 20 seconds of animation.  The hardest bit I've ever done.
Though, generally for a contest like this it would probably be a better idea to focus on a shorter animation that's really good looking rather than a long one as upload and render time are entirely unaffected by how many hours you spent on a specific shot.  And sometimes that can be what kills your video.

I've been really wanting to make a THAC video one year that's really short with no script so I don't have to spend time voicing which takes up several hours and make a wordless story with really impressive animation.

Last scene! W00T! After that, it's on to post.

To add to Squid's point: Most BiM members are still in some form of school (high school, college, whatever) and generally have the summer off, which means BRAWL is only interrupted by the essentials of eating, sleeping, and misc socializing.

I, on the other hand, work 9-5 weekdays. BRAWL started at 4 pm on Saturday, and for the rest of the night I brainstormed and started on props. I had all day Sunday to finalize my story and make progress on the set. But for Monday through Friday, I've had to work, commute, make dinner, and do all of the normal things one needs to do to maintain an apartment. So I've only had about 3-4 hours per weeknight to work on my entry.

It's been a challenge. I've definitely simplified my animation to the essentials, and I hope to rely more on cinematography and sound design to tell my story. But boy, I do feel like I have very little time.

Nathan Wells wrote:

I, on the other hand, work 9-5 weekdays. BRAWL started at 4 pm on Saturday, and for the rest of the night I brainstormed and started on props. I had all day Sunday to finalize my story and make progress on the set. But for Monday through Friday, I've had to work, commute, make dinner, and do all of the normal things one needs to do to maintain an apartment. So I've only had about 3-4 hours per weeknight to work on my entry.

I take summer courses during the day from 9-4, and I work the weekends 12-10. My suggestion is to just work till the early morning. I've been up till, like, 2am-4am this past week.

I'm gonna sleep for an entire week straight to make up for all this missed sleep.

Anyway, here's a screencap from my editing program. I think it's all going well.

http://i.imgur.com/tGQghgu.png

Did a bunch of animating and some minor editing today, Still behind in animation by a bit but I think I'll make it.

http://i.imgur.com/li4iudc.png

Latest video: Zombie Blockade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XdMQWLu5I

The Son Of Shadowmarch: PreProduction Official Thread: http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … brickfilm/
Script: 80% / Storyboards: 10% / Voice Acting: 0%

I've recorded all the lines, I'm done animating, and I've synced all the vocal audio with the animation, so all I have left to do tomorrow is the actual editing; I'm feeling pretty comfortable. My films not very long, under 2 minutes, but work has been exhausting/physically damaging to my hand this week, so I think I'm going to be pretty happy with the result. mini/smile

My entry was a little weird in that it had two distinct parts that make sense together in the end, but could kind of be their own stand alone thing.  I've run out of time to complete it all, so I think I'll only have the second part actually in it.  I intend to go and finish the first part and release that after BRAWL's completed.

So for now, I've finished all the animation that will be in the entry and I started color correcting last night.  I'll finish color correcting tonight, edit (hopefully) most of it, and try and do the soundtrack tomorrow.  I've only got about a half day Friday to work on it and then I'll have to be done; BRAWL ends at 3pm Saturday for me, I'm busy all day Saturday and most of the afternoon Friday.

For the most part, I'm real happy with how my entry has turned out and I think it'll probably be my best film yet, technically.  The story in Perpetual Twilight was a little more interesting because it was entirely original, but I think this will still probably be the better film (once it's all done). 

Good luck to everyone, you'd better be finishing up soon.  I can't wait to watch all the entries!

Done, at 3:59 AM. Time to go on vacation (which is gonna be ruined because I thin contest gave me the stomach flu or something stupid.) I gotta get up at 8:00 now....

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/PushOverProductions/done_zps29063378.png

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Finished animating, oh yeah! All I've got to do is everything else. mini/frustrated

- Available to compose for any upcoming projects -

Good news is, I came up with a decent ending (Breaking the Fourth Wall! mini/eek )
Bad news is, it's an almost 53 second long speech and I've still got to animate it.  mini/twitch

Have a nice day! mini/smile

YouTube

Well, this is my last day for BRAWL as I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow. I'm really hoping I'll get this done. I have one more scene to shoot, and then I'll edit.

How could  you even manage to write and record a 53 second speech?! mini/what

I'm also happy to know that I'm not the only one who came up with an ending at the last minute. I think it all ties together nicely, though. Hoping to have the animation finished today.