Topic: LEGO Avengers Tower: Lady Sif VS War Machine

Directory Link

LEGO Avengers Tower: Lady Sif VS War Machine

Youtube

On Asgard, the greatest warriors compete to decide who the toughest is. Now, Sif and the Warriors Three have come to teach War Machine how it's done.

Re: LEGO Avengers Tower: Lady Sif VS War Machine

Pretty pleased with how this one came out, aside from a few sound errors and the fact I animated with my older camera for the first couple of shots (don't ask). I think I actually did pretty well considering how much of this is pure fight sequence. It was certainly a blast to animate.

I hope you all enjoy my Brian Blessed Volstagg voice, and who would you like to see fight next?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

And here's yet another Avenger's Tower episode, I've been looking forward to this!

The first few shots had flicker and choppier animation, and the movements just didn't seem very intense.
War Machine's attacks were little more than using the repulsers again and again, and he hardly never used anything else. Sif had more variation, but that wasn't the biggest problem.

That was the interrupting shots of the spectators that had little or no noise of the fight. It's perfectly fine to show people's reactions, but you need noise in the background to show that the fight is still going on. Plus, those kinds of shots can really disrupt the pacing and tone of a scene, especially if there's a conversation that has little to do with the fight. The ending of the fight didn't make sense, and the last few scenes had spotty animation and attempts at humor.

NOW, lest you think I hated the short, I didn't. I like what your doing with introducing less-known or popular characters and trying to showcase their abilities in combat. You just need to figure out where you want the focus to be, and then try to keep things lively using more variation. (See the Thor/Iron Man fight in Avengers for example)

It takes a lot of effort and time to make this, and to research into abilities and strengths/weakness of characters, so I congratulate you, and look forward to the next episode.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

That was the interrupting shots of the spectators that had little or no noise of the fight. It's perfectly fine to show people's reactions, but you need noise in the background to show that the fight is still going on. Plus, those kinds of shots can really disrupt the pacing and tone of a scene, especially if there's a conversation that has little to do with the fight.

I was actually trying to disrupt the pace of the scene, and thought it worked quite nicely, but I'll bear it in mind for next time.

My problem with the variation of the shots was that I didn't have much time during production to set up some of the more advanced stuff I wanted to do. I'm right in the middle of my exam period, but still wanted to make an animation just so I don't go mad. I also do have plans to do Iron Man VS Thor somewhere down the line, so I thought it might be a good idea to tone this one down a notch to allow me more freedom for when I animate the big leagues.

I honestly don't mind if you hated the short, Pritchard (though I find it a little confusing that you were still looking forward to it mini/wink just kidding) and I really welcome your criticism, especially when you're so cordial about it. Until recently, I hadn't ever animated any proper fight scenes. This is all a learning process for me, so I'm grateful for any pointers I can get.

The next one's actually a bit of a deviation from the format of the series, and is narrative-driven (mostly) rather than a simple fight. It's only eight pages of script but it's easily the most complex animation I've attempted so far, so basically I'd like to know now if there's any way I can improve.

And no research was done mini/bigsmile I just have the knowledge that comes from having been a Marvel/DC addict for the past four years.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein