Topic: Keyboard Help Needed

Hello! So while in pre-production for my upcoming video I was using the soundtracks from the Star Wars films, but then I got to thinking that if I use the soundtrack I may not be able to make any money off of it on YouTube, or it may get a copyright strike against it! mini/eek  So I really want to record my own music for it using the themes from the Star Wars films, but I need a piano keyboard that can play multiple instruments. But don't know what to get or what programs to buy. So if any one knows what would work please tell me. Thanks mini/smile

Re: Keyboard Help Needed

I really doubt that you need a keyboard for that. I don't know anything about keyboards or recording from instruments but you could also just download/torrent a music making program and make music without needing a keyboard.

signature

If you play the Star Wars music yourself and then us it in a video, it will still get a copyright strike if you monetize the video. It's not just the recording that's covered by the copyright, it's the arrangement of the music. Until the 2047 or so, any recording of the Star Wars music will get a strike.

I don't think so. I'm going to play the music on a keyboard and record it not record the soundtrack.

Galactic Films wrote:

I don't think so. I'm going to play the music on a keyboard and record it not record the soundtrack.

You still can't do that and use it in your video, legally.  What backyardlegos is saying is correct, maybe rephrasing it will make more sense.
Not only are the actual recordings played by the London Symphony Orchestra and conducted by John Williams copyrighted, the arrangement itself is.  Long before the recording was copyrighted the music itself, that arrangement of notes, any theme from any Star Wars film is under copyright, whether you play the notes yourself on a keyboard or use the original recordings, you can't do it.
You'll need to either write your own music entirely (if you can get it to be reminiscent of Star Wars without using any of their themes that would be awesome, but takes a certain talent) or use royalty free music off the internet.  Maybe you could try getting a composer from here to work with you, it all depends on a lot though.

I hope this makes more sense. 
TLDR: Basically, no; you still can't do that.

Legally you can't use Star Wars' music without written permission from its copyright owners. Although, considering the thousands of LEGO Star Wars videos I have seen ripping off the original soundtrack (including I few I've made a while back) it is seems that instead of giving a copyright strike and deleting YouTube videos with the music from the films, this copyright owner has chosen to monetise them. You're are unlikely to have your video removed or receive a copyright strike, but you will almost certainly be forced to have monetised adverts on your videos that go straight to the pockets of Disney.

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator