Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Max Butcher wrote:

The Hobbit: The Battle of The Five Armies

I watched this the same way I watched Star Wars Episode III - to get this bloody trilogy over with so everyone can look back on this the same way they look back on that time they stepped on a bit of dog poo.

*snip*

I wouldn't say that I hate the Hobbit trilogy... but ohhhhh, just barely. The Hobbit: TBoTFA was literally one of the worst movies I had seen last year. Maybe the worst. I'm not even going to bother with detailing what I don't like about it because I can't seem to remember anything I do like about it.

I'm seriously peeved at Peter Jackson for promising a grand adaptation of the beloved children's classic of adventure, heroism, and character and instead, cudgelling everyone in the face and foisting the bloated farce that he actually made on us while we sat traumatized in the theatre. That isn't everyone's opinion though, I guess. Oh well, at least we have the LOTR trilogy, which I'm starting to think where pure luck on Peter Jackson's part...

Anyway, to stay on topic, the last movie I watched was The Black Cauldren. You know, that 1985 Disney movie that you never hear anything about. I had only seen it once, when I was a little kid (so like, over a decade ago...), so this viewing was pretty fresh. It isn't bad. Nothing special really, though a lot darker than most other animated Disney movies I can think of, if that matters. As usual, the books are much better.

jampot wrote:

Age of Ultron
it did suffer from having an hour shaved off (not that a mainstream audience would've necessarily been able to sit through a three and a half hour film). From what I gather from interviews with the cast and with Joss Whedon, the extra hour will solve some of the film's other issues too: there's a lot of setup for future films crammed into AoU, but in the extended cut it will have more room to breathe and feel less like it has been crammed in.

Will this extended edition be finished up and be made available on the disc release?  I'm terribly fond of extended cuts and like really long movies sometimes.  I want this.

I personally enjoyed Battle of the Five Armies, but by the end of it I honestly had no emotions over

Spoiler (click to read)

Thorin's death

or anything that happened in this trilogy. It felt extremely slow in some parts and extremely fast in some parts. I honestly don't think Peter Jackson wanted to direct this trilogy. He wanted to help with the story and the production but nothing more. Then when that other guy left (his name slips my mind) he was like "well, cant let all this work go to waste, I guess I'll have to direct it". And this is what we got. mini/confused

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

I honestly didn't have my expectations too high. I knew there was nothing that could top the Hulk vs. Loki sequence, or the sheer awesomeness of the original movie overall. And Ultron, even though he had some great lines, isn't as fun a villain as Loki is. But, this turned out to be better than I had expected. Lots of thrills, exciting moments, some great comedic timing, and amazing action sequences. Still though, I couldn't dodge the thought of how cheesy and campy Ant-Man is gonna be. Either that, or it's gonna be the runaway hit of the summer.

9/10

The Fugitive (1993)

Probably one of Harrison Ford's best since Raiders of the Lost Ark, and I'm watching it now. I'm still in awe of how fun this movie is. It's right up there with Catch Me If You Can as one of my favourite cat-and-mouse movies of recent memory.

9.7/10

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Whew, I've seen some pretty freaking good crap these past couple a weeks:

Avengers: Age of Ultron

It's really hard to live up to the shear enormity of the first Avengers film, but this movie succeeds in being a great follow up! Of course, you get the same snarky writing one can expect from an Avengers/Joss Whedon film, which I love so whatever. But I also really enjoyed how much more time they gave to character development in this movie, most notably with Hawkeye, who everyone's been gushing over. All in all, it's a great film that sets up a lot of more great things to come.

The Great Gatsby (2013)

This one was pretty alright. Leo is great as always, but I did feel the rest of the cast was relatively forgettable. I think the best things about this film are the visuals and the music. I actually fairly enjoyed the use of modern music to complete the old timey partying, as I think it really translates to a modern viewer the feeling of a party from that age. But I do think that movie climaxes a little too early in the beginning party scenes. They were just so all around enthralling that the rest of the film feels as though it takes a big step back in pacing. I dunno, this is probably just a pretty okay film that got book-ended by some pretty fantastic ones, but it was just eh.

Hot Fuzz

Why has it taken me so long to see this? Almost every joke is a slam dunk, and I love the way that basically every line of dialogue and story piece down to the smallest details comes around full circle in the cleverest way possible. And for a comedy parody film, my god does this film have some great action. Highly recommended.

Taxi Driver

Gotta lean towards Isaac on this one, I thought it was great. The cinematography, the music, the dialogue. Everything in this movie is just so masterfully done, I don't really wonder anymore as to why this is one of the GOAT.

Mad Max: Fury Road

OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!! This movie is just basically George Miller taking a penguin sized crap on the rest of the action movie genre. And by god is it glorious. I don't even have much more to say about it, everyone should see it now, so I have someone to gush about it with.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Midnight in Paris (2011)

Probably one of the better Woody Allen movies of recent memory, if not one of the best romantic comedies I've seen. And I really don't watch too many. I really loved the idea the movie set up, and there were some really funny moments, but I was not expecting the ending...or was I? I could have seen it coming, but I don't think I did. Anyways, it's worth checking out.

9/10

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

You know, I can see why people don't like this movie. I personally love it, but maybe others don't like it because it's more of a spy movie, with political commentary, thrown in there. Kinda like Marvel meets Die Hard. But, those two things are an ordinary film buff's two favourite things, are they not? And to see them combined should really get them excited, right? Oh, well. To each his own, I guess. But, I really did like this one--way better than The First Avenger, in my opinion--and I'm excited to see the Russo Bros at the helm of more stuff for Marvel, especially Civil War.

9.8/10

Star Wars-Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)

Boy, I hate this one. Had to watch it four times, only because I fell asleep the first two times.

Phantom Menace is nowhere near the crappy levels of this one, and that's saying something, because for normal fanboys, the prequels would all be equally as trite. But, not for me. Phantom Menace could have been good, but then Jar Jar came in, and it stank quite a stink. But, it didn't seem like Lucas learned his lesson, because guess who showed up again for Episode II? Jar Jar Stinks. *sighs*

I want to be excited for The Force Awakens. And, I am; I totally am. A new director isn't something I'm worried about, because George Lucas didn't return to direct Empire Strikes Back, my personal favourite Episode. The late Irwin Kershner did, and he brought something new to the franchise: memorable moments. Nothing about the prequels is memorable, with the exception of a few funny lines, a cool-looking battle sequence, and the overall suckage of all three prequels. J.J Abrams will fix Star Wars and bring the original essence of 4, 5, and 6 back to the memories of it's devoted fanbase.

The franchise is in a rut, but The Force Awakens will be just as good as The Empire Strikes Back, or any of the original films. I'm stoked.

However, this one is the worst of all three of the prequels.

2/10

Last edited by Mickey (May 18, 2015 (06:35am))

hey, Mickey!  I wanted to get more about your dislike for Star Wars Episode II.  Was it the awkward dialogue between Anakin & Padme?  I personally love episode 2 for the mystery involved, but wanted to know the things ppl don't like about it.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I think I already mentioned Jar Jar's return as one of the things bothering me about this one. But, other than that, I didn't like the overlong-ness of the this one in particular. The originals only went a bit over two hours, with Episode VI clocking in at a necessary 135 minutes because it has to be the epic finale to the series that was supposed to end, but didn't. This one is like 2.5 hours, and that may be why I didn't make it all the way through. To keep an audience member awake, you have to keep them entertained. One seemingly endless chase scene, tedious battle sequences, and forgettable dialogue are not entertaining.

Exciting [short] chase scenes are entertaining.
Planets and spaceships being blown up are entertaining.
Quick and snappy lines are entertaining.

COURTROOM MEETINGS ARE NOT ENTERTAINING.

Overall, I honestly don't feel like the prequels--this one in particular--are including what fans--like me--loved about the original Star Wars films.

Last edited by Mickey (May 18, 2015 (07:44am))

That's Cool, Mickey.  I am one of those weirdos that loves all the Senate stuff, seeing their political bodies at work.  (I actually made a comic book called The politics of Star Wars so my brother could follow all that part of it.)  In A NEW HOPE, you see the scene where Vader force grips an officer?  Thre's a lot of political discussion there, including how the emperor dissolved the Senate.  (of course, it was exciting because it had Vader using the force grip on someone)  What was interesting to me in episode II was how The Separatists had to assissinate Senator Amidala in order to get the Trade Federation's support, which they needed for the clone army.  It was ironic because Her vote is actually the one that would have aided the separatists in completing their mission!  But since Nute Gunray wanted revenge for Ep I, this was what he wanted from the deal.

I haven't watched any of the prequels in awhile, but from what I remember the politics were not what turned me off to episode 2, although I do think the could have been presented in a more clear fashion. What really did it for me was the terrible acting. Hayden Christensen sounds like a high schooler in an English class video who really doesn't want to be there, but has to play a big role in the video because he has a bad grade in the class and needs brownie points with the teacher. It's really hard to watch.

it'd be awesome if EP7 starts with a old Jar jar getting his head cut off............

Cooked Cat wrote:

it'd be awesome if EP7 starts with a old Jar jar getting his head cut off............

*everyone in the front rows cheers*
*newcomers of Star Wars scratch their heads, confused of all the happiness of a death of a fictional character*

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

I'm pretty sure that not knowing about Starwars is almost as likely as not knowing about Hello Kitty or Micky Mouse

had someone over today that didnt know what starwars was. they are prob 30ish.

The "newcomers are quite possibly those kids who will have this as their first movie experience.  Star Wars was the first movie I saw in a movie theatre.

I loved Jar Jar when I was little, and while I can see the major, uh, 'design flaws' in his portrayal, I'm not sure why he's so universally hated. To this day, he's one of the few things I actually like about the abominable prequel trilogy (IMO Phantom Menace is mostly fine, Revenge of the Sith is truly awful, and Attack of the Clones is one of the worst movies I have ever seen, and I've seen some baaaaad films).

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Mickey wrote:

Overall, I honestly don't feel like the prequels--this one in particular--are including what fans--like me--loved about the original Star Wars films.

Nor should they. The part of the reason most of the actors sound so wooden is because these films are set in a far more formal time than the OT. Honestly I feel like Attack of the Clones "feels" more like the OT than any of the other prequels, mainly because of the Obi-Wan/Jango Fett sub plot. That plot point feels so much like a classic western to me. It has everything from the saloon (Dex's Diner) to a shoot out (the Geonosis asteroid chase). In fact Ep 2 is forth on my list of favorite SW films. The two under it are Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace.

One more thing; how else do you show the fall of a democracy but through politics?

Galactic Films wrote:

One more thing; how else do you show the fall of a democracy but through politics?

You show it through politics and millions of wipe screen transitions if you're George Lucas. mini/lol

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

I just think the Prequels should have been more focused on Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship, instead of the demise of 'little orphan Annie' and his journey to the Dark Side. I felt that that really ruined the Prequels for me (although Jar Jar is a pain, it wasn't until a year or two later, that the hate began due to a few critics doing late reviews lashing at The Phantom Menace) as it didn't really grip me into loving the films, which the OT accomplished easily. Sure, we can all blame Natalie and Hayden for their potrayal, but if you think that, then you are apart of the other few million fans that don't understand who had made the Prequels. George Lucas! We all know from past experiences that good ol' Lucas isn't really the Shakespeare when it comes to writing dialogue, and I don't know why he did the dialogue for the Prequels. Its just one of lifes greatest film mysteries and let downs!
If The Force Awakens turns out to be a let down (which from previews it looks near perfect) I can't imagine what the overall fan response would turn out to be.
Well, in JJ we trust!

jampot wrote:

I loved Jar Jar when I was little, and while I can see the major, uh, 'design flaws' in his portrayal, I'm not sure why he's so universally hated. To this day, he's one of the few things I actually like about the abominable prequel trilogy (IMO Phantom Menace is mostly fine, Revenge of the Sith is truly awful, and Attack of the Clones is one of the worst movies I have ever seen, and I've seen some baaaaad films).

I agree somewhat. As a kid Jar Jar was good fun. As I get older I feel I've been conditioned to hate him by others. Fair play to Lucas for cutting down his scenes drastically in Episode 2 and 3.

I'm not exactly sure how to feel about the prequels. I watched Mr Plinkett's reviews of them recently, which completely tear them apart piece by piece- to put it nicely. But I'm not sure how many other films would stand up to that level of scrutiny. Plus, they're the kind of film that is hard to judge because so much of your judgement is clouded by your opinions of the preceding films- similar to the new Hobbit films. I can't tell whether I think worse of them than they actually are, because the original three are so good, or I actually think of them more highly because they're Star Wars and by default have to be somewhat good.

As it happens it's almost exactly 10 years since I first watched 4 5 and 6, so I'm planning to rewatch them all soon, as I don't think I've actually seen them in a good few years now. This time I'm going to try Machete Order- 4, 5, maybe 1, 2, 3, 6. Has anyone else watched them this way? The more I read of it the more sense it seems to make.