Re: What was the last movie you watched?

I don't see Taxi Driver as a movie where you have to find the characters likeable or sympathetic.
It's a movie that shows people who are desperate, who feel lost and lonely, dont' know what to do about it and usually hurt themselves as a way of punishment, and our job as a viewers is to look at them and either try to understand them, or understand ourselves, see how far have they gone and how that happened. People like that exist, everywhere.
The pace of the picture is related to the pace of Travis' life: he is bored, that is what happens to him, and he can't take it anymore.
The movie stuck with me because I sometimes felt that way (which kind of worries me a little), and it captures that feeling perfectly: it doesn't use words to describe it, it uses mood and pacing.

I'm not trying to sell you that the picture is amazing and you should like it, but that maybe you should try to watch it with different standards than your average movie (example: don't look for a likeable character), I feel you might find in it much more than you think.

That's fine; I'm not trying to steer anyone away from the picture.  I'm confident that people here in BiMspace can share & respect different views in a civil manner.

I do understand the concept of an anti-hero, though, but there are movies in the genre of "garbage person movie" that I DO like.  (this is not a term I made up, but something my brother and his friend use to describe a collection of films with similar themes that they get together and watch all the time.  "Hey, come on over and we'll watch some garbage person movies!" they'll say.)  They were in a band together and even made a song "Sweet Iris" that had Taxi Driver samples.  Anyway, some of the movies in their collect of Garbage Person movies (again, not a term meant to insult the films) include, but are not limited to: Bad Lieutenant, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Falling Down, etc.  The characters seem to have nothing to lose.  Some of these movies have characters very much like Travis Bickle, but I actually enjoy them and the films themselves.  It's not just Taxi Driver, I actually don't find much interesting or worthwhile in most any Scorsese film, except for Goodfellas.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

AGE OF ULTRON
4/10

So, I just got back from the theatre, and here's what I'm thinking:

- Fatiguing fiesta of destruction on an absolutely gross scale. Really pissed me off.
- Generally poorly paced, tedious violence (although the opening sequence is quite impressive).
- Jokes that near all fell flat. Honestly cannot fathom how some audience members managed to muster a laugh.
- Jokes were jarring in relation to the "serious" atmosphere.
- Hit upon some very interesting plot possibilities (Scarlett has a flashback), however they never were explored/continued.
- Ultron's frenetic leaping from being a wisecrack smartass to plain evil rinse and repeat are jarring (although voicing is tiptop)
- Love interests between characters feel very forced.
- audacious amount of Audi product placement.
- Joss Whedon likes a deus ex machina I must say.
- I found the Avengers to be so immortal that no real tension could ever eventuate no matter the situation. Didn't care for them honestly.
- Feels like a filler allowing for Marvel to progress towards greater things.
- The addition of a new character midway through is actually okay.
- The fact they spent 250 000 000 smackeroonies on this !@#$ does not improve my opinion.
- Another !@#$ superhero movie to add to the pile, the genre needs serious reworking.

10/10 would not view again.

Last edited by Carousel (April 23, 2015 (06:01am))

After seeing the movie which Quicksilver is better, Carousel?

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

TRON: Legacy (2010)

Well, I definitely should have watched the 1982 original before this. It would have helped with the characters and the story flow.

However, the sequel is amazing. Its sets are impressively lit, the storyline is nothing new, but brilliant to say the least, the acting is great, and the special effects are impressive. But, the musical score is incredible. One of the absolute best OST's I've heard in a film...like ever.

We need more progressive house and EDM in movie soundtracks. I'm looking at you, Disney! Go round up Knife Party for the third film!

Daft Punk takes a generic-sounding musical score and throws a something entirely different into the mix. And it's beautiful. In my honest opinion, the soundtrack from the film is the single greatest thing to ever come out of the aforementioned French house duo.

Now, I'm absolutely hyped to watch the original. Plus, the villain from Time Bandits is in it! Awesome!

8.7/10

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

If you like EDM (or EBM or whatever) in your soundtracks, the "Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles" animated TV series has it throughout!

I also love Daft Punk myself, except for his very mundane "get lucky" song.

Umbra-Manis wrote:

After seeing the movie which Quicksilver is better, Carousel?

Probably the X-Men one :)

Age Of Ultron
Bit unrealistic, I thought.

No, I really, really enjoyed this film. I went in expecting 2 hours of over the top action sequences, humorous exchanges, superheroes being superheroes, all jam packed between multiple plot lines and links to past and future films. It manages all this, without being excessive in any area. I would disagree strongly with the suggestion that most of the jokes fell flat, I think that says more about the viewer than the film.

Could it have done with an extra half hour? Yes, hopefully the extended edition will provide that. Is there a hint of deus ex machina? Yeah, sure. But for what this film is meant to be- a successor to The Avengers, a light-hearted yet complex, character driven superhero romp, full of heart, I think it does very well. Fox, Sony and DC may waver, but for now, the MCU marches on.

9/10

Avengers: Age of Ultron

I just don't know anymore. I'll admit I went in a bit negatively and biased against this movie, but nonetheless, my opinion on it still stands. Personally, I thought this was a pretty average film. Nothing special about. The fighting was cool at times, but it was also getting really unrealistic, which made the film all the more cheesy to me. Ultron himself was pretty cool at first, but he quickly became a pretty stereotypical villain with lots of power which I didn't like at all. I was expecting a movie that was much darker than the previous movie, but instead I got the same dang thing, the good guys win, and it seemed like there was no real risk at all. I wish these movies would grasp the power of death a bit more, and maybe actually have the guts tell a story where a good guy dies for once and the true, deep character of the Avengers is tested.

Anyways, I'm starting to rant, so I'll cut it here. Avengers: Age of Ultron did it for many people, but not for me, sorry guys.

5/10

Last edited by GHB (May 2, 2015 (09:28am))

The Avengers (2012)

Perfect timing, too. Today is the seventh anniversary of the American release of Iron Man, and I was able to watch it on the day the sequel came out. I'll probably have to wait to go see Ultron, since it's already sold out in my city.

But, even though this movie doesn't quite come close to the awesomeness of Guardians of the Galaxy, or Iron Man, in my opinion, it's still incredible, and has a safe spot in my Top 3 Best Marvel Movies. Tom Hiddleston and Robert Downey Jr. both manage to steal the show, and the tracking shot towards the end is cool. Plus, the script is nice. But, this part...this part is what did it for me.

http://mollytopia.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/hulksmash-pagespeed-ce-7nsmitbwfu.gif

Absolutely hilarious.

I admit, it didn't quite live up to my expectations, and I'm not so sure the sequel will either. But, it's still pretty cool to see some great superheroes fighting generic aliens in a generic location.

Also, I managed to find a copy of Cap 1 at the library. Still haven't seen any of those.

9/10

Last edited by Mickey (May 2, 2015 (01:56pm))

@GHB

Spoiler (click to read)

yes, I could not agree more, marvel doesnt realise how powerful death is, they built up hawkeye, it would have hurt if he died. but that had Quick sliver, who is new to us, so doesnt really matter.....

Captain Phillips

A bit too much shaky-cam for my taste. While that looks really good in an action scene, or a scene of confusion, it is unnecessary in a scene where a character is driving a car, shaving, or anything like that. Other than that I liked it. I wasn't getting in to it for the first 45 minutes or so; but I didn't realize how much I had gotten involved in it until the end, when I cried.

Now, I cannot speak for it's historical accuracy. After the release of the film, some of the crew members came out saying that it was a dishonest representation of the actual event. However, the first mate stood up for the captain's account. Either way, the film was good, regardless of whether it actually happened the way they said it did.

8/10

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

GHB wrote:

Avengers: Age of UltronI wish these movies would grasp the power of death a bit more, and maybe actually have the guts tell a story where a good guy dies for once and the true, deep character of the Avengers is tested.

I think a certain number of people are starting to feel this way about Marvel, myself included.

Spoiler (click to read)

After they missed giving Loki the best conclusion to a character arch ever by not having him die, continuing the one dimensionality of his character, I can't really take Marvel films seriously.

Just watched District 9 for a college human rights course. The plot was pretty predictable by halfway through, but I don't even have a problem with that because I found the story interesting. I could go on about it but it's easier to just say that I thinks it's a really solid film, good all around; definitely worth a watch.

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Spoiler (click to read)

It's not fair! The post-credits scene is just a teaser for The Avengers! We should have at least gotten to see a short sneak peek at how they brought Bucky back to life. It's just not fair...

Overall, Cap 1 is a sleek and retro sort-of-prequel. And I'm still pretty pumped to watch Ultron and The Winter Soldier, as well as Civil War when it hits theaters in approximately 370 days...yep...I just counted that.

8.7/10

Avengers Age Of Ultron.
Very solid sequel, with my only beef being is that I found the ending rushed.
Overall I give it a solid 4/5

M*A*S*H: Good-Bye, Farewell, and Amen (1983)

It aired on my local MeTV affiliate.

This TV movie and final episode is by far and without question (in my mind at least, but millions who were an front of the set with me in 1983 agree) the greatest ending to a TV series that there ever was, or that there ever will be.  I think that anyone who is interested in film, especially regarding character development, should view it.  A few things to set up the story, for those who would like to watch this without seeing the series, which is all right to do:

Major "Hawkeye" Pierce, the unit's most efficient and recourceful surgeon, in the past few episodes leading up to the finale, was under psychiatric treatment for a nervous breakdown suffered under stress.  The movie opens with him in a mental ward.  Sydney, the psychiatrist, is a semi-regular character.

Corporal Klinger, the company clerk, spent the majority of the Korean war feigning insanity by dressing as a woman in order to receive a discharge.  He wants, more than anything, a ticket out of Korea.  Recently, Sun Lee, a formerly suspected North Korean spy held hostage under his watch, has been cleared of her suspicions and recruited Klinger's assistance finding her family, who are refugees.

Maj. Charles Winchester III is the company's most skilled surgeon, even more than Pierce, and not afraid to admit it.  He is haughty, sophisticated, and pretentious, with an apreciation for the finer aspects of the humanities such as fine literature and classical music, and a disdain for the "common".  (Though he has an out-of-character fondness for comic books and Tom & Jerry.)  He is my favorite character in the series.

There are more major characters and several supporting characters present in the finale, but events of the episodes leading up to this aren't required to "pick them up".

I cry several times every time I watch it.  During the final 20 minutes I become rendered into a blubbering mess.  For a sitcom, the finale's tone is much more serious, even shocking at times, but still funny in a more subtle way.

On a personal note, a snippet of the M*A*S*H theme song can be heard near the beginning of HOO episode 2.  It's my tribute to a series that is always in my mind as a guide/manual when I write my scripts.

The Hobbit: The Battle of The Five Armies

I know I just came off giving my downbeat opinion of Avengers 2, but what can I do? This movie was probably the flattest and most desperate film of the entire series. Everything felt like one giant mess and more than ever was I looking forward to the signature: "Directed by Peter Jackson" which came at probably the most random point in the movie. Before I continue into the dumpster, I will say that the opening scene completely grabbed my attention. Some of the shots in that sequence were absolutely stunning and very well tied together, but sadly it was a trap that held me for the next two hours.

After the opening, the film gradually began to slow down to a very jarring pace, and before long I was wishing I could leave.  The film had this weird alluring feel to it, largely instilled by the tip-top CGI, that tried and failed to hide the horror that was behind it. Pretty much 3 quarters of the movie comprised of one giant battle, that honestly could have put me to sleep in moments. Then there's this:

Spoiler (click to read)

Thorin's "sickness" seemed like, if expanded on, it could be something truly deep and epic. Sadly, Thorin is brought back to his true self in probably the most artificial and cliché way, at which point I didn't give much care as to what was to happen then on.

The film continues to slow down, and the last quarter of the film was pretty much one giant montage of shots with repetitive music that could have been used for a much deeper ending, but sadly, we have to live with the old saying:

It is what it is.

Admittedly, the first two films I actually thought were pretty decent and pretty enjoyable, but the last film topped them off in one giant desperation to get the whole thing over with. To be perfectly honest, I feel this trilogy shouldn't have happened, or at least should have had some deeper thought to it. It seems like filmmaking these days is so conventional and formulaic that there's no time to actually sit down and think about the story waiting to be told. Films that put the weight on the story to make the visuals and the acting flourish rather than letting the visuals and acting try to flourish the poorly written story(like this film) almost always will succeed. The original trilogy captured that brilliantly, and the ending of The Return of the King was probably the most epic and fulfilling movie endings I've ever seen. It provides a perfect example of what The Hobbit trilogy strived to live up to, but sadly fell just short. Alright, this is going way too long, I'm done.

4.5/10

Last edited by GHB (May 5, 2015 (06:28pm))

Russian Ark
That was definitely worth watching. I'd been told that this all one shot (and not in a faked, Silent House way) but I was surprised at how fluid this all turned out to be. The camera weaves about so gracefully. I shudder to think how many rehearsals and takes there were for this film, but the hard work has definitely paid off.

Age of Ultron
Loved it, though it did suffer from having an hour shaved off (not that a mainstream audience would've necessarily been able to sit through a three and a half hour film). From what I gather from interviews with the cast and with Joss Whedon, the extra hour will solve some of the film's other issues too: there's a lot of setup for future films crammed into AoU, but in the extended cut it will have more room to breathe and feel less like it has been crammed in.

Spoiler (click to read)

It once again suffers from having a really big thing crash down into the ground, but I've never minded that anyway the context is likely to make you extremely forgiving, and it's shot in such a way that it doesn't become boring. The whole final battle is incredibly paced, almost orchestrated like ballet than an action sequence (though with Whedon, this isn't uncommon).

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

Russian Ark
That was definitely worth watching. I'd been told that this all one shot (and not in a faked, Silent House way) but I was surprised at how fluid this all turned out to be. The camera weaves about so gracefully. I shudder to think how many rehearsals and takes there were for this film, but the hard work has definitely paid off.

I heard they only did it in 3 takes. I caught it once on TV, but since it had already started I didn't watch it. It looked interesting, as soon as I can get my hands on it I'll be sure to watch it.

The Hobbit: The Battle of The Five Armies

I watched this the same way I watched Star Wars Episode III - to get this bloody trilogy over with so everyone can look back on this the same way they look back on that time they stepped on a bit of dog poo.

The pacing is just as awful as all the other installments. The opening battle is surprisingly brief, though unexpectedly terrible. Smaug does that bloody stupid thing every villain does where they just stand there taunting the good guy whilst the good guy prepares to kill him. He's supposed to be the most evil creature in middle earth and he's slain instantly and lamely.

Then the film just stops for a whole hour. This series doesn't know the difference between slowing down to take a breather and just holding everything. It's painful. Then the final battle starts...halfway through the movie.

The final battle sucks. It doesn't have the buildup or drama of any of the Lord of the Rings battles. Oh, and the dialogue is awful too. Every scene seems to end with a character pausing whilst the camera lingers before saying one over-dramatic line. This is not how you create drama! You have conflict, tension, characters, things at stake! Thorin suddenly becomes a complete jerk and so I don't care about him or his stupid mountain. The Elf-King is also a jerk too, who's after this gold that's only mentioned once then never bought up again. The love-triangle remains completely gratuitous, as does the inclusion of Sauron and that albino-Orc who has absolutely no character. The only person I sort of care about is Bilbo - who has nothing to do with the battle - and Bard, who's bogged down by a family who have no place in this movie and a stupid wormy antagonist who also has no place in the movie.

One part I have mixed feelings on is the introduction of Dain and his Dwarf army. This army is never mentioned before, comes out of nowhere, completely vanishes afterward, and - like 90% of everything in this obese trilogy - was added just to artificially extend the run-time. But...it's Billy Conolly headbutting people! The action set-pieces in this trilogy as a whole are absolutely ridiculous, but...it's Billy Conolly headbutting people! I love it!

The ending was interesting. I was geared up for another overlong ending...but actually this ending is too short. The book tied everything up with the elves and Dale and the mountain and all that stuff. The film wraps up Bilbo's story and lets us assume everyone else was OK. I don't really mind this, but it's kind of odd how the Lord of the Rings closing tied every single loose end up and this just sort of gave up. But I don't blame it. I would've given up too.

YouTube
Max, She/They