Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Squid wrote:

Kooky

Somehow my brother became cognizant of this film and we watched it and, wow, that was a real gem.  It was made in the Czech Republic and I had never seen a Czech film before.
Almost the entire film is done in a really weird style with tiny objects like dolls moving around I think with puppetry.  But it's executed so flawlessly that it looks like all of the things just got up and started moving around without any strange cgi look to it.  It's really cool that it takes place in a forest and you can see all the little details like the texture in the moss and little tiny beetles crawling over parts of the scene.
There are even a few scenes where they got animals like birds to interact with the characters, and it's really amazing.

I would recommend.

And here's a trailer if you want to know how it looks: http://youtu.be/MBQbkbnj780

Haha, I come from the Czech Republic, so it's always funny to see foreigners talk about our cinema. I actually know the guy who was supposed to do the art direction for this film (who is a legendary artist here in the Czech Republic), but eventually he came into some disagreements with the producers and they hired a new guy and basically told him to copy the original artist's work. Here's his website if you'd like to see.

If you're really interested in Czech animation though, Jan Svankmajer is a legend, and he's fairly known on an international scale.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

woo page 420 right guys

Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas

It's one of those movies I've put off watching due to never developing an interest in it for whatever reason. I had been reminded of it recently after talking about film with some friends. They said it was one of those movies you had to watch, like the Godfather or Fight Club. I wanted to be able to say I'd seen it.

I wouldn't say I really enjoyed it, but it was schizophrenic and bizarre enough to hold my attention. I need to check it out again at some point to wrap my head around it.

Tobias wrote:
Squid wrote:

Kooky

If you're really interested in Czech animation though, Jan Svankmajer is a legend, and he's fairly known on an international scale.

Well I guess I should Czech some of his stuff out.

(I'm sorry, guys)

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
This had some genuinely funny and heartwarming moments, and although it was let down by a few silly scenes and some more silly scenes, overall it was a nice bit of fun. Seeing young Kevin Bacon for about 5 seconds was also a hoot. There's a slight twist at the end that was a bit predictable (or it was for me) but it didn't make it any less impactful.

3/5

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Die Hard with a Vengeance

Having seen the first two films in the series, I decided I wanted to check out the third one, or the last good one (according to the internet). I thought it was a worthy continuation of the series, the most surprising thing in the film was how similar some of the plot points were to The Dark Knight Rises, but this film did a better job with them.

jampot wrote:

silly scenes

jampot wrote:

genuinely funny

Hmm...I don't think I catch your drift.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Whiplash (2014)
KG told me to watch this and he was right to do so.  Great movie.  Great acting.  Some funny stuff, some nervous stuff, some cool stuff.  If you like the music (30's jazz band) that's a bonus, but even if you don't you'll still enjoy this.  And the best part is you don't even know what it's really about until the very end.  Hopefully I haven't said too much.  Just watch it.

Nacho Libre (2006)

Still has the same style of wit and humor of Napoleon Dynamite, and even though it's "another underdog story", it's a hilarious and sometimes charming story with Jack Black and his usual awesomeness at the heart of it all.

9/10

Frozen
After a year of waiting and avoiding (most) spoilers, I finally got to see it! Not only was it hugely fun, the story and themes were a nice (and welcome) modernisation of the Disney tradition (I mean that in terms of its approach to 'Disney princesses' roles, not that it's set in the modern day, which it isn't). Sven and Olaf were hilarious. Apparently, a real reindeer was brought into the studio at one point.

5/5

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

So I actually got to catch up on a few of the films tipped for awards, meaning I hopefully won't fall asleep through the whole of the Oscar ceremony like I did last time because I hadn't seen any of the films nominated and thus didn't give a hoot who won.

Big Eyes

Hooray! Tim Burton doesn't suck anymore! He's just OK now!

Amy Adams pulls a great performance, and the moments when she becomes distorted by the ubiquity of her own creation are by far the best. Christoph Waltz is perhaps too over the top, but he's Christoph Waltz - what do you expect? Also, out of nowhere Terence Stamp provides this hilarious deadpan performance as the harshest critic in the world - as though the guy from Ratatouille came to haunt the realm of live-action.

The only problem is that it lacks creativity. I know it's really weird that I say Burton needs to tone down, but this is going too far the other way. It feels too much like a conventional biopic rather than an exploration of an artists work.

Burton clearly made Ed Wood because he absolutely loved the man's work. He made Big Eyes because he liked the story behind the paintings. It's a good film, but it just doesn't feel as much of a labour of love.

The Theory of Everything

As a drama about a man suffering from motor neurone disease, this is pretty good. As a biography of Stephen Hawking, this is pure crap.

It says hardly anything about Hawking's actual work, what he discovered, what he created, what he thought, how he changed science. The film's just like: "Oh yeah, and he did some sciency stuff too."

I get that Hawkings theories were dizzyingly complex, and would have been difficult to explain to a common moviegoer but....actually, no. Film is a visual medium. I know absoultely nothing about music, yet watching Amadeus I was convinced that Mozart was a genuis because it explained using only sound and visuals that Mozart was able to simulate an entire orchestra in his head and dictate it onto a page. Stephen Hawking utilises a similar technique where he uses geographic locations to work out the worlds most difficult equations in his head. It's absolutely incredible. It's what's made Hawking perhaps the greatest mind this earth has ever seen...and the movie never mentions it once.

The film does delve into religion, which is bizzarre as it's the only thing Stephen Hawking has been absolutely certain about. He's reached the same conclusion Gallileo did: that there might be a god, but no-ones found him yet. He's certain that the possibilty of a god is uncertain - and is too busy trying to work out the secrets of the universe to bother with a question that he'll almost certainly never answer.

Such a waste of potential. We have a good director, a great cast, an excellent subject-matter to tackle - and what we're given is a painfully adequate drama that slots perfectly into the age of bland white young-adult heterosexual romance. Just read A Brief History Of Time instead.

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Good god this is awesome.

Not since Brazil have I seen a film so tight in it's production design. Every shot feels choreographed. Every frame painted. This is like Amélie without the French-ness and the boring romance and Audrey Tautou's terrifying face.

The only real problem is Ed Norton. I love the man. He's an outstanding method actor, but I feel he's miscast here. He does subtle, emotionally intense performances. What this movie needed was someone ridiculously over the top playing the head of police desperately chasing after our heroes. I think of the glorious live-action cartoon that is this movie and I don't think: "Yes! Ed Norton!"

But everyone else is perfect. F. Murray Abraham is going full-on Amadeus, this is the best I've seen Ralph Finnes, Adrien Brody is clearly having a great time, and I think William Defoe was born to play his role. The plot is exceptionally flimsy, but that really doesn't matter when we're having so much fun. For once, I'm prepared to overlook a dodgy plot because everything else is so great.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Inherent Vice

The film just came out in my town last night and I was lucky enough to have a spare night to go see it. Extremely well crafted film; complete with a compelling cast, great camera work, vintage music, and top-notch dialogue.

From almost the start of the film, I was reminded of the complex, rather outrageous plots of several Film Noir movies. And while the story just kept building and building upon itself, I was completely intrigued by the actor's performances and the dialogue between the characters. About half way into the film, I realized it was not really about the plot, but rather the characters that Paul Thomas Anderson so brilliantly adapted from the original novel.

I saw somewhere that the film was described as a nostalgia trip, and while I didn't grow up in the late 60's early 70's, I'm sure that description reins true. This film it definitely up there with Boogie Nights and Magnolia as an excellent, well crafted piece of cinema.

Max Butcher wrote:

Big Eyes

Well, I was given the duty of choosing the movie today. Would you recommend this or Unbroken?

Haven't seen Unbroken, but doing a quick Wikipedia search, Big Eyes is more humorous and light-hearted than Unbroken - which seems harrowing yet inspiring. I'd choose whichever one you feel in the mood for...if it's not too late.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Oh, OK. I actually went and saw something else instead, but thanks for the insight.

The Imitation Game (2014)

Yes, the Oscar-baity Benedict Cumberbatch vehicle about the man who is credited with building a machine that discreetly shortened World War II and saved more than 12 million lives. Without Cabbage-Patch's character, this site wouldn't exist, and I wouldn't be typing this review right now. I mean, right now. Like, right now.

Imitation is one of Cucumber-Patch's best work, and Keira Knightley and him share a lot of genuine chemistry. There are a lot of moments that were awkward for me, because at times, I would cry when others in the theater would laugh. I felt like when Alan Turing, our main character, would feel something, I would feel that too. Maybe that's because I've done extensive research on his life and legacy well before this movie's release.

Last November, about a week prior to the first public English screening of this movie (and well before the late-Thanksgiving weekend release in my own country), I was doing a school project about Apple, and how overly repetitive their copy-and-paste consumer products are. For the project, we had to think of a recent event in today's world and relate it to a historical happening. First thing I did was grab my dad's iPhone (ironic, isn't it?) and ask Siri to tell me who the first inventor of the computer was. When not much research was given, I had to think of something more recent. I knew about the release of this movie and decided to look into Turing and his work.

Spoiler (click to read)

I found the conspiracy theory about the inspiration of one of Apple Inc.'s earliest multicolored logos, and how it was thought to have been inspired by Turing's suicidal method--an apple laced with cyanide--to be riveting, and I was saddened by the death of his childhood friend, Christopher Morcom. There are a few interesting references to his death early on in the film, like the scent of cyanide that is mentioned by Turing at the beginning, and when he brings his colleagues apples during another hard day at work.

Seeing the movie now, it is a very excellent one, even if I already knew all the plot points after the research I had done. The cinematography is beautiful, the musical score is wondrous--the best I've heard since Interstellar--the screenplay is tautly written, and the supporting cast members each give a good performance.

But, Benedict Cumberbatch's award-winning performance as Alan Turing is what really did it. It's the best part. He adds many uncomfortable jitters to Turing when delivering his performance, and there's no one else that could give such a fine portrayal. As stated before, The Imitation Game is his (as well as director, Morten Tyldum) best work.

In the weeks drawing closer to the Oscars, and in the final hours leading to the Golden Globes, I can safely say that I've found a film worth rooting for. Either that, or Selma, which I'm planning on seeing during the upcoming Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend.

Definitely recommend this.

9.8/10

Last edited by Mickey (January 10, 2015 (09:12pm))

Max Butcher wrote:

The Grand Budapest Hotel

For me, watching The Grand Budapest Hotel felt like eating an entire decent-sized and exceptionally delicious birthday cake, but without that sickly feeling one might get when eating far too much sugar.

Quite serendipitously, I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel quite recently and was intending to write a review, so....

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Warning: Pastry metaphors incoming.]

Apparently, this is Wes Anderson's most Wes Anderson film yet.  If that's the case Wes Anderson needs to tone down on the Wes Anderson.

It's not bad per se, but I can't say I enjoyed it either.  There are a number of issues.  For a start, there's the aspect ratio.  When it starts out, it's close to 16:9, then switches to a TV-style aspect ratio when the Author is telling his story on the videotape, then 2.35:1 when Young Author meets old Zero, then a really weird almost square aspect when Zero tells his story.  It really bothers me, since the main aspect used feels really unbalanced and therefore noticeable.  The constant jumping around is quite jarring.  Whilst I like the idea of using different aspects to tell different stories, the switching around means I get constantly reminded that I'm watching a film, and I'm unable to immerse myself in the story.  It's as though my eyeballs are constantly getting magically switched around every few minutes, and it's really distracting.

The cinematography is jarring, too.  I know, Wes Anderson is fond of using a strong central composition, but it's far too overused here and gets overpowering.  Shots are pretty much always dead-on looking into the camera, or profile.  A conversation between two people sitting at a table typically involves a shot of one looking directly into the camera whilst talking, then cutting to the person sitting opposite in the exact same position and angle, to the point where it's basically jump-cutting.  Sometimes, this approach lends itself very well to visual comedy (the arrival at the train station, the jailbreak, or the gun battle in the Hotel, for example), but it soon becomes stifling as we only ever see these angles.  It feels weirdly mechanical and artificial, like the film has been chopped up into little bits and stitched together, instead of organically flowing from one shot to the next.  The whole point of cinematography and editing is to hide cuts, not make them blatantly obvious.  It gets to the point where I feel like I'm looking at a deranged children's picture book instead of watching a movie (albeit with considerably more bloodshed and language, which sits rather oddly with the otherwise whimsical, quirky tone and pastel colours).

The story itself is a bit weak, although entertaining.  The performances by the actors are excellent and the dialogue is witty and well-written.  The main cast, particularly Ralph Fiennes, does a great job, and also I particularly liked the character of Jopling. 

Spoiler (click to read)

I love how he has a separate little compartment in his jacket for a gun and hip-flask.

I also thought Edward Norton's role was humourous.  Maybe because I didn't know he was in this film, so him suddenly popping up was really funny to me.  There are some great moments, such as the aforementioned jail-break sequence, and gun battle.  The quote at the beginning from the Old Author is brilliant.

The film, though, falls flat in many cases.  For example, the character of Agatha basically doesn't exist beyond helping M. Gustave and Zero.  She feels like a convenient accessory used by the main characters when there's trouble, rather than a living, breathing, 3-dimensional character.  All in all, these aspects feel combine to make the film feel insubstantial and vaguely dissatisfying.  The cinematography, the editing, the story, even the garish colours, it all combines together to make the film feel like an over-sweetened pastry laced with artificial colours and flavours with a veneer of whimsy and the odd splatter of blood.  There's no emotional impact. 

Spoiler (click to read)

Even things like Agatha's death are dealt with in a very off-hand and cavalier manner.  Old Zero is like "oh yeah she died by the way, but that's not important".

In the end, I feel like this film is rather analogous to one of Mendl's delicately over-wrought, pastel-coloured confections.  It's not necessarily bad in of itself, but after a certain point it becomes a bit too much of a good thing.  The concept is sound, but I don't feel like execution worked especially well.  At the end of the day, I'd prefer more substantial fare.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (January 12, 2015 (04:18am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Maze Runner

Eh. I quite liked the premise for the kind of fever dream spookiness of it and some of the acting was solid. But at the same time some of the acting from other characters was really flat, especially the fat kid who had no reason to be in the movie other than to have a kid for a potential emotional pull.

One of the things I didn't like was the inconsistency in the threat from the Grievers, you'd have shots where they can clearly outrun people only for a cut to happen so that they can be placed further back, or they'd just stall in front of major characters for apparently no reason. I did actually really like the bit though when

Spoiler (click to read)

the Grievers attacked the camp and people started dying left and right,

it was actually a pretty tense and spooky part of the film.

I liked how the film wasn't afraid to be a bit darker than most YA adaptations but honestly I think at parts they should have gone further. Unfortunately, considering how one of the aspects I liked about the film initially was the confusing, dream-like premise when things started getting explained to the viewer at the end it lost a lot of appeal for me and still left some plot points unanswered, topping it all off with shameless sequel teasing.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

A River Runs Through It
If you like fly fishing, you'll really like this movie. I'm not into it, but it still was pretty interesting. The main thing I liked about this movie was the Montana scenery the film showed off, and the narration by director Robert Redford. The story, based on a short story by Norman Maclean about him growing up in Montana with his brother Paul, was pretty good, but nothing too special besides the sense of foreboding that arches over the film. The relationship between the brothers was well done and seemed pretty real, and Brad Pitt didn't feel like he was playing Brad Pitt, which I've felt like he was doing in 12 Years a Slave and Troy.

The Mission
I like this film a lot, but it feels incomplete. I had a similar feeling to Interstellar. This film may be about a Spanish mission trying to protect against slavers in 1700s South America, is a beautiful film, the cinematography and scenery is great, Ennio Morricone's soundtrack is his best work, possibly one of the best soundtracks of all time, and Robert De Niro and Jeremy Irons play the main characters, with Liam Neesan as one of the priests. What is there not to like? I'm not sure, but it has some great scenes and shots.

The Seventh Seal
I've heard the name of this film a lot, so it was neat to see it. It's weird and really interesting. The story seems simple, a Knight returning from the Crusades plays chess with Death as the Black Plague ravages Europe, but there is so much more to this film and I definitely didn't catch it all. It feels like a folktale, but its not really, and it's questions about God are good ones. I want to see this film again sometime, and hope I catch some more of it.

And finally, I got my chance of watching The Lego Movie.

It was an amazing experience, it deserved all the hype, there was hardly a moment when I was not laughing.
I'd say I loved the movie, but it feels more appropriate to say that this movie loved me. By the end it was throwing back at me all these emotions, experiences, everything that I loved about brickfilming, or about movies in general, or even about life. When the movie was over I was feeling drunk and exhilarated, and probably the only reason I didn't cry was that I was just too happy.
Knowing there was going to be an unexpected turn in the last third of the movie actually made me expect the unexpectable, but that didn't spoil the fun at all. The Academy obviously don't know what they're missing.

I want to add just one more thing, and that is I know I cannot watch this movie with an entirely objective view, because what it means to me (and, I guess, to many of you too) goes beyond its actual quality. It earns its place next to my heart.

Recently watched Moon and American Beauty. Went into both without knowing anything and they were delightful. Moon has a really interesting aesthetic built off the small budget. Great cinematography. American Beauty was great. Its execution is deceptively simple, but the characters are so fascinating that it's a joy to watch. Good stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg