Re: What was the last movie you watched?

The Fugitive is one of my favourite Harisson Ford films, along with The Last Crusade and Patriot Games. Frantic is good too.

On the Ice
A great short film. Very tense, breathtakingly shot, and an engaging protagonist. The latter is particularly impressive in such a short piece.

Two Cars, One Night
A neat little romance. The time-lapse elements were interesting, but blended perfectly with the 'regular speed' sequences. And I love the Kiwi accents.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

This is the first part of what I think is a trilogy.

Yeah, there are two additional entries in that franchise. To me, that series holds an intriguing premise, considering I'm a fan of the "dystopian" genre. However, I've never gotten around to watching those. Doesn't look like something that critics went crazy over, though.

Last edited by Mickey (November 18, 2014 (07:20am))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Legocloniac477 wrote:
SlothPaladin wrote:

Fun fact I've never seen the dark night and don't plan to

May I ask why not?

Because I don't like super hero movies and if I did see it it would take the joy of telling batman fan boys that I haven't seen it away from me, and that would be a real tragedy.

Last movie I saw was Death Race 2000, it was stupid and awesome.

SlothPaladin wrote:
Legocloniac477 wrote:
SlothPaladin wrote:

May I ask why not?

Because I don't like super hero movies and if I did see it it would take the joy of telling batman fan boys that I haven't seen it away from me, and that would be a real tragedy.

http://www.gifwave.com/media/917000/bravo-clap-clap-palakpakan-galeeeeng.gif

That is all.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Batman Returns (1992)

Well, when I first saw this, I was like 8, and I loved The Penguin, so I constantly wanted to see this movie because it included him. Well, long story short it scared the heck out of me, and after that I felt wary of the film every other time I saw it.

Seeing it again, I realize that I was too wimpy back then to appreciate this film. I used to see it as a much too dark follow up to the 1989 movie (which I love), but now I appreciate it for the dark, gothic masterpiece it is. I especially love the music, tone, and actors. I also find the story quite twisted and sinister, which is very enjoyable to a Burton fan such as myself, even if it is a little confusing. Now that I'm not a little 8 year old, I think this is a very good follow up to the first Batman movie. (Too bad most of the audience at the time had a similar reaction to my 8-year old self, otherwise Burton would have stayed on the franchise and we wouldn't have gotten Schumacher and his campy interpretation of Batman, or the ice puns *shiver*) mini/twitch

"Defeat is always momentary."

-Carl Denham, King Kong (2005)

texas_cheeto_hog wrote:

ice puns *shiver*) mini/twitch

Irony.

Mickey wrote:
HoldingOurOwn wrote:

This is the first part of what I think is a trilogy.

Yeah, there are two additional entries in that franchise. To me, that series holds an intriguing premise, considering I'm a fan of the "dystopian" genre. However, I've never gotten around to watching those. Doesn't look like something that critics went crazy over, though.

Critics not going crazy over it was yet another reason I recommend it!  The movie doesn't fit the Hollywood clique  mold.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Interstellar
I can't say much without repeating what others have said, but what the heck. This film is simply fantastic. Everything about it is wonderful. It's long, but perfectly paced, I could have watched another hour without tiring. The story evolves at a good pace right from the start, the various twists and turns spaced just far enough apart to hold your interest. Visually it's gorgeous, blending cornfields, alien landscapes, spaceship interiors and the vastness of time and space together seamlessly. Possibly my favourite part was the soundtrack. Though virtually the same set of instruments is used throughout, I think, they build together to compliment the incredible visual landscapes we see. I've never cried in a cinema, but I was close to it during the "docking" scene due to the sheer epic-ness of it all.

Spoiler (click to read)

The resolution is a tad 'power of love'-y, but it felt satisfying to me personally. This is probably subjective though. The final ending was actually a bit quick, which seems strange to say after a 2 & 3/4hr film I realise. Better than dragging it on though.

Oh, and TARS is possibly my favourite sci-fi robot.

SlothPaladin wrote:
Legocloniac477 wrote:
SlothPaladin wrote:

May I ask why not?

You can still watch it: batman fan boys don't need to know that you did.

It wouldn't be the same and I still don't like super hero movies so why should I watch it, also it's like 3 hours long, if I want to spend 3 hours watching a movie I may as well watch something I like, like 2001 or something.

MPfist0 wrote:
SlothPaladin wrote:
Legocloniac477 wrote:

May I ask why not?

You can still watch it: batman fan boys don't need to know that you did.

There are too many interesting films available for someone with no interest in a particular film to spend time watching it. Just because a lot of people like TDK doesn't mean it's some obligatory film every living entity must see.
People should be alowed to have their own taste and preferences.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

Filip wrote:

There are too many interesting films available for someone with no interest in a particular film to spend time watching it. Just because a lot of people like TDK doesn't mean it's some obligatory film every living entity must see.
People should be alowed to have their own taste and preferences.

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean that a person doesn't have to go see it either.  To be honest, refusing to watch something just because you hate the fans of said film is pretty stupid and makes absolutely no sense.  According to that logic, we should ban Charlie Chaplin because Hitler liked him (until he made The Great Dictator, that is, but that's beside the point...).  Also, it is still possible to learn something from watching a film even if one might not necessarily personally like it.

SlothPaladin wrote:

It wouldn't be the same and I still don't like super hero movies so why should I watch it, also it's like 3 hours long, if I want to spend 3 hours watching a movie I may as well watch something I like, like 2001 or something.

What's wrong with superhero movies?  It's worth noting that Nolan specifically stated that he and the rest of the crew didn't want to treat this movie like an average superhero film, and that it is fair to say it has a feel very different from that of a "typical" superhero movie (if such a thing exists). 

Also, it's two-and-a-half hours long.  Just saying.

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean that a person doesn't have to go see it either.  To be honest, refusing to watch something just because you hate the fans of said film is pretty stupid and makes absolutely no sense.  According to that logic, we should ban Charlie Chaplin because Hitler liked him (until he made The Great Dictator, that is, but that's beside the point...).

I don't want to put words in Sloth's mouth, but from what I can gather from his arguments he doesn't want to watch it because he doesn't like super hero films.
2. There is also a significant difference between not wanting to see a film because it doesn't interest you - or because you dislike its fanbase - and thinking it should be banned from distribution entirely.
3. Fans, no matter if you "hate" those fans (which, again, he never said he did), are in no way comparable to Hitler. Fans of super hero films don't slaughter jews and start wars. There is no connection here what-so-ever.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Also, it is still possible to learn something from watching a film even if one might not necessarily personally like it

That is true.

Last edited by Filip (November 18, 2014 (03:15pm))

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

Filip wrote:

I don't want to put words in Sloth's mouth, but from what I can gather from his arguments he doesn't want to watch it because he doesn't like super hero films.
2. There is also a significant difference between not wanting to see a film because it doesn't interest you - or because you dislike its fanbase - and thinking it should be banned from distribution entirely.
3. Fans, no matter if you "hate" those fans (which, again, he never said he did), are in no way comparable to Hitler. Fans of super hero films don't slaughter jews and start wars. There is no connection here what-so-ever.

I'm not trying to suggest anything of the sort.  It's not a perfect metaphor, yes, but the point still stands.  Judging a film by its fanbase it utterly pointless because the film-maker has no control over how people who like his/her film will respond.  You should judge the quality of a film on the writing, directing, performance of the actors, production values, screen direction, editing, etc., etc., etc., not on how fans of said film act.  If I judged every film on the basis of its fans, I would probably hate and miss out on a lot of good films and TV shows (including The Dark Knight itself, as it turns out).

Also, judging from what he's said, it seems that TDK's fanbase is a pretty big part of why Sloth doesn't want to watch it: 

SlothPaladin wrote:

if I did see it it would take the joy of telling batman fan boys that I haven't seen it away from me, and that would be a real tragedy

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Also, it is still possible to learn something from watching a film even if one might not necessarily personally like it

That is true.

Exactly; I'm glad you concur.  For example, I'm not especially fond of V for Vendetta as a whole (and wouldn't want to associate with every annoying wannabe internet "activist" who dons a Guy Fawkes mask), but that doesn't stop me from appreciating that this scene is beautifully shot and edited.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

To be honest, refusing to watch something just because you hate the fans of said film is pretty stupid and makes absolutely no sense.

I never claimed to hate the fan base, I said I enjoy the reaction I get when I tell the fan base I haven't seen it, two very different things, I thought you got it when you posted that Heath Ledger gif, that was really funny, I'll try not to give your sense of humor that much credit next time.

I really don't differentiate super hero's from sports ball athletes, I a HUGE hypocrite because of this, I'm OK with that. Batman is a total dushebag, The LEGO Movie took this and ran with it, I loved that.

Also, did you ever tease girls in school? Not all teasing is because of hatred, sometimes it is good natured ribbing. (Most of my friends are fans of batman) I love comics but I don't own any Marvel comics or any of DC's non-Vertigo comics, I'm just not interested in the super hero comics.

SlothPaladin wrote:

...I'll try not to give your sense of humor that much credit next time.

I think you simply misinterpreted his humor with that gif.

I didn't mean to start a full argument with my question; let's get back on topic.

Last edited by Legocloniac477 (November 18, 2014 (04:22pm))

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Jayem wrote:

It's long, but perfectly paced, I could have watched another hour without tiring. The story evolves at a good pace right from the start, the various twists and turns spaced just far enough apart to hold your interest.

My views exactly. If they would patch up the plothole with the seemingly-missing hour, I wouldn't fuss. I enjoy long movies, as long as they keep me interested. I wouldn't have minded sitting in a cinema for an extra few minutes or so. However, it's just as easy to overlook and not care about a plothole as it is to care about a plothole...

..unless we're talking about Frozen.

Last edited by Mickey (November 18, 2014 (05:21pm))

What is the seemingly missing hour you're talking about, Mickey?

Spoiler (click to read)

Is it when they're on the water planet? I don't really know if I'd call that a plot hole so much as weird editing that didn't convey the passage of time at all. Whatever you call it, though, it was strange.

Chef
Pretty good, but the rare example of a drama where nothing bad happens to the characters in the entire second half of the film. Without any real conflict, it gets to feel frustratingly easy over time as things just get better and better for the characters.

St. Vincent
I really like Bill Murray's performance, which feels less like Bill Murray doing his Bill Murray thing and more like he's a new character. A little sentimental and easily resolved in the end, too, but not as over-the-top about it as Chef.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Nightcrawler

Awesomely unique storytelling with a on-the-total-edge-of-your-seat climax and some perfect cinematography, as well as acting. The film has a very rare subject matter that has barely been done before and that is done absolutely fantastically in this film, which is what makes it very entertaining. I would say that the film was a little too short and could have used some more scenes both in the beginning and in the end, considering that the whole way everything wrapped up was a bit abrupt. Other than that, no complains. Probably one of my favorites of the year so far, even surpassing Gone Girl for me.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.