Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Lockout
Eh, it was a great plot and all, just some of the acting and the excessive swearing lessened what this movie could've been. The CGI was horribly noticeable but a good attempt. The main thing that went wrong was seeing the mistakes, when they cut a scene short, and when they forgot about simple details. It was good, then the last line just ruined the movie for me. mini/lol   

Mugamoodi
Hahahahaa! I thought this was supposed to be oriental, then it was Indian. I actually watch all 3 hours in two nights. It was funny, a tiny bit cheesy, and it was very enjoyable. The story was interesting a tad original compared to all the other kung-fu movies. It was nice and I enjoyed it, I don't expect most of you to though.

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

I liked it, Michael Caine is great as always. Although I am a litte tired of this story, I've seen it in so many versions before. 3/5

The Hobbit: Part 1

Both this and Prometheus infuriate me.

I compare these films because Prometheus was (in my opinion) a good film ruined by a terrible re-write which basically just cut large chunks of the story out (including an actual ENDING) for the sake of sequel bait...which might not even happen. With The Hobbit, large unecessary chunks have been added to the story for the sake of more sequels.

I admire that the film maintains moments of subtlety (something most adaptations cut), but the only reason why it maintains these subtle moments is because they have to make a trilogy and they only have 300 pages of source material. I almost feel sorry for Peter Jackson and the writing team...almost.

Jackson has misunderstood the tone of the book. Lord of the Rings is a three part saga about destroying Sauron - who basically represents all evil in the world. The Hobbit is a literal character-journey as Bilbo gets plucked out of his quiet lifestyle and is forced to enjoy the more dangerous things in life (and in the process, these Dwarfs who are merely looking to get their gold back are thrust into this inter-race conflict that, in a way, they accidentally started). But Peter Jackson is still trying to crank up the epic-ness by making this quest for gold an earth-shattering event. I hated how they try to fit Sauron into it all. Who cares? Whilst it was awesome to see Christopher Lee again, that entire chunk of the film with the hermit wizard and the was entirely pointless. Sauron has nothing to do with anything! And why is Gandalf like "There's this necromancer running lose? Ah well - I'm off to help some Dwarfs get a load of bling.."

In fact, everything that wasn't in the book felt pointless. Jackson introduces this giant albino-Orc guy who killed Thorin's father (which, as we all know, is the cheapest and most clichéd way to create dramatic conflict between two characters. They even make Thorin yell "NNNOOOOOO!!" just in case you thought there might be the tiniest bit of originality or subtlety in this plot-element). What? Wasn't the giant dragon, the Goblins, the Spiders, the Mirkwood Elves, and all the other foes the party encounters on their quest enough? Did you really need to add another antagonist? I don't mind changing the source material - but adding stuff in just for the sake of piling another hour onto the running time?

Also, this is a minor complaint, but I found it hilarious when Elrond was like: "This map can only be read at a certain time of a certain day of a certain month of a certain year of a certain decade....oh, look at that!". Plus, this is really tiny, but they say that all the elven the swords will glow blue when Orcs/Goblins are present yet only Bilbo's ever glows - and it doesn't do anything when he's right in front of a rabid pack of Orcs. Its just I really liked it in the graphic novel adaptation where Gandalf turns off the lights and slashes all the Goblins with his glowing sword.

Underneath all the padding - there is a good film here. A very, very good film in fact. The characters are all memorable, the prologue and the scene with Gollum are the highlights, I really enjoyed the sequence with the mountain-giants, Martin Freeman is a great lead, and the dinner with the Dwarves begins excellently....until it kept going on and on and on and on and on. This film needs a complete re-edit (and a few re-shoots). The prologue and the riddle-game are absolutely spot-on, but in between these is almost two hours of untrimmed scenes and filler. I felt like I was watching a rough-cut rather than a worldwide release. It has many redeeming qualities, but I honestly don't want to watch the film again until the inevitable fan-edits start appearing online.

(Oh, and I didn't see it in 48fps - because no-where within reasonable travel distance of my town was showing it. I'm against 48fps simply because it looks like a television drama rather than a cinematic presentation. I know its meant to be 'realistic', but why on earth would you try to make your film with a main cast full of humanoids look 'realistic'? Maybe in a few years time this technique will catch on; but I really don't see the need for it at the moment. And please don't respond telling me that I'm saying what many people were saying about sound and colour. Wait until this catches on before berating me just for being a bit of a purist.

Also, I did see it in 3D because my cinema were trying to milk as much from this film as possible - thus every screening needed glasses. Part of it were OK, but it felt very post-conversion; which ruined the impressive landscape shots a little. If you want to see the film, watch it in 48fps if your really interested, but if you can only catch it 24/25fps and in 2D - I don't think your missing much)

Last edited by Max Butcher (December 18, 2012 (09:44am))

YouTube
Max, She/They

Max Butcher wrote:

(Lots of text)

The Necromancer was actually mentioned in the book. The whole reason why Gandalf is absent later on in the story is due to the fact that he's off dealing with him.
It wasn't described in detail in The Hobbit, but it's not like they just completely made up an extra storyline about him.

Max Butcher wrote:

I hated how they try to fit Sauron into it all. Who cares? Whilst it was awesome to see Christopher Lee again, that entire chunk of the film with the hermit wizard and the was entirely pointless. Sauron has nothing to do with anything!

are you sure you're not talking about Saruman and not Sauron? I haven't seen the film but I know Christopher Lee plays Saruman

I assume the Necromancer is Sauron (he ressurects one of the Ringwraiths, and the evidence produced is a morgul blade. One only has to put two-and-two together). But yes, having Saruman in it was pointless too (however, we get a free Christopher Lee cameo out of it. "He has eaten too many mushrooms")

AnnoyingNoisesProduction wrote:

The Necromancer was actually mentioned in the book. The whole reason why Gandalf is absent later on in the story is due to the fact that he's off dealing with him.

I know - but we don't have a flashback to it and long conversation with Saruman about it. From what I remember, Gandalf only briefly mentions him. Yeah, I suppose it explains why Gandalf doesn't go off immediately after he hears about it (he's waiting until later so he can dramatically leave the party), but surely he's not like "Oh, a deadly necromancer who's spreading a famine? I'll put it on my 'To Do' list..."

YouTube
Max, She/They

Max Butcher wrote:

Oh, and I didn't see it in 48fps - because no-where within reasonable travel distance of my town was showing it. I'm against 48fps simply because it looks like a television drama rather than a cinematic presentation.

You know how it looks without seeing it, eh? Must save a lot of money on movie tickets.

I've seen other things in 48fps online and previewed in electronics shops. I'm familiar with how 48fps looks and I don't imagine The Hobbit being improved by it.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Max Butcher wrote:

I've seen other things in 48fps online and previewed in electronics shops. I'm familiar with how 48fps looks and I don't imagine The Hobbit being improved by it.

I do wish I had done that. mini/tongue

Nothing but the truth

A really decent drama that surprisingly isn't known at all (despite having Kate Beckinsale in it)

AnW wrote:
FlyingMinifig wrote:
Tobias wrote:

Because of that, only the Return of the King had four and a quarter hours.

mini/twitch mini/dizzy

And I thought the three-and-a-half hours version was long...

Hehe. Yep, when you sit down to watch the Extended Return of the King, you are in for a sit. It is awesome though. Love those movies... except the Extended RotK has some of the most ridiculous additions to the trilogy... O well...

Indeed. Like Saruman's death. That's just...well...Although I have to say that when you watch the extended editions of the whole trilogy, there's much more comedy in it. It's a little different from what I knew Lord Of The Rings as; it was like I saw it for the first time or something.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Ip Man (Yip Man)
Oh gosh, this has to be my favourite movie. Great action sequences and man, just finished watching the second time through and it was better than ever. If you have time, watch this movie (if you're allowed, or have a parent or gaurdian watch it first). It's worth it. The fact that it's based on a true story makes it twice as amazing. There's some great cinematography and camera movements, which lies in cinematography. mini/tongue   Seriously it's a great movie even if you don't like Kung-Fu or Martial Arts movies. Lovely movie all in all, would watch again.

"Of The Pond Films"

Taken 2

Pretty good but very predictable. If you're a Liam Neeson fan then check it out, I really expected something better.

5/10
http://global3.memecdn.com/taken_c_447200.jpg

Ip Man 2 (Yip Man 2)
Wowzers. These movies have some much morals in these are so amazing. Gah, I really really like this guy.
The ending was amazing, funny, and heart warming. Especially

Spoiler (click to read)

when Bruce Lee walks in

. mini/lol

"Of The Pond Films"

Rear Window
Great film. First Hitchcock film I've seen.
The acting was great, but what really stood out was the cinematography. It was just amazing.
The ending was a bit predictable, but I can't say I really cared.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
I found the first twenty minutes to be a bit too slow for my liking, but after Ripper held that speech about

Spoiler (click to read)

precious bodily fluids

it just went uphill from there. Laughed out loud several times, which I don't usually do when watching films alone. The ending was so strange, too. Just a fantastic film.

A Clockwork Orange
Although a visually flawless film, I didn't feel as amazed by the first half of the film as everyone else seems. However, during the latter half, oh man. It was a really difficult film to watch for obvious reasons.

Rushmore
I think this might be one of Wes Anderson's finest films. It was just fantastic all around.
Everything from the writing to the acting and cinematography was stunning. It just had so many memorable scenes.

Blue Velvet
Was surprised when I noticed it had a linear narrative, which Mulholland Dr. most certainly did not.
This film was truly a masterpiece. There were so many scenes where I was terrified, and Dennis Hopper's acting was just brilliant.
Not a film for everyone. Especially not for those with a weak stomach. A very disturbing, but extremely intriguing film through and through.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

Pulp Fiction
Been watching some of the top ten films on IMDb lately. Can't believe I only just watched this for the first time, that was great. Funnily enough, all three of my favourite scenes involved cars.
Now although [Flame Shield: Activated] there were some slightly slow moments of the film, and scenes that dragged a tiinnnyy bit, the overall experience was pretty fantastic.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Trading Places (1983)
Pretty good movie, I found it funny.

Mummy (1999)
I thought it was okay.

Spoiler (click to read)

I found the dead bodies of the explorers after they had been mummified by the mummy pretty cheesy. I also thought some things went by really fast. Like, for example, there was this one scene when all the characters were in the street fighting off the spellbound civilians and they go down and PHOOF! They are in the desert. Either I really missed something or it was a really fast cut.

It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

Wow, I loved this film. I watched it with my mom and grandma (and my brother, who would come in at times), and I just loved it. I cried at a few parts near the end, but I really really liked it.

10/10

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Ice Age: Continental Drift
I completely disagree with critic ratings on this one (38% aka 'Rotten'). I've always loved these movies and always will (unless they really screw something up).

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
Now in Wonka-vision (har har, get it)! I'm not quite sure if I ever watched the original or if I've only seen the remake (Charlie & the Chocolate Factory). Either way, I like this movie a lot. Especially the scene where

Spoiler (click to read)

the girl turns into a giant blueberry.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
My dad introduced me to this movie. I love how Ferris narrates things while in the middle of everything. I wish they had included what happened between Cameron and his dad after

Spoiler (click to read)

he accidentally pushes his dad's Ferrari out the back off a glass window.

The Hobbit: an unexpected journey

Actually it was quite good. I was among the first ones to say that the book could've made one good movie and there was no reason to split it into three films (the only reason is more cash duh) but still this film was pretty decent, had a lot of fun and I can't wait for the conclusion. I saw it in 48fps and it was an interesting experience, 99% of the times I'm sticking to non-3D stuff but this film really looks decent in 3D HFR.

Last edited by Leo's World (December 26, 2012 (07:40am))