Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Ed Wood.

Dang. What a beautiful movie, it was really funny, had fantastic acting ( especcialy Landau ) and it was moving at the end.
Great, great movie.
Now I feel bad for Ed Wood because died before he gained a lot of fans.
5/5

Woah, How To Train Your Dragon remains at 97% on the tomatometer. I was not expecting that.

UP

I really liked, but It is not as good as WALL-E.
Its worth only watching once..

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/829/signaturecopy.png

That scene is awesome, Littlebrick.

- Leo

Spudster wrote:

Woah, How To Train Your Dragon remains at 97% on the tomatometer. I was not expecting that.

How To Train Your Dragon really is that good.
'Twas even better in 3D.
Especially the flying scenes. mini/bigsmile

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

How To Train Your Dragon

I don't think it's 97% good, but it is still very enjoyable, worth seeing in theaters (Littlebrick), probably up there with Kung Fu Panda for Dreamworks. However, to me the best part about it was the amount of tenderness and joy in the film, a territory Pixar usually owns, with Dreamworks slinking back into the slap-bang jokes and kiddie humor category.

- Leo

Last edited by Leonardo812 (March 31, 2010 (10:04pm))

The last movie I watched was Rashomon (1950). The more Kurosawa films I see, the more I am in awe of the man's cinematic mastery. The sweet visual style, coupled with the manner in which the story was told, came together to form a very powerful and compelling film.

Toshirō Mifune was, as always, doing his thing and was a delight to watch, though I'd say my favorite perfomance I've seen by him so far would be that of Seven Samurai.

There was also this one scene which kind of took me aback in the movie a bit, during which a dead man spoke to the court via a crazed-looking medium woman. It actually reminded me strongly of something out of a Sam Raimi movie - though of course it obviously predated Raimi's writhing demons by decades.

The only quibble I had, and this is a mere trifle of a thing, would be some of the acting of the female lead. I know what Kurusawa generally shot for with his actors, and am used to his films, but something about the way she hiccuped after every peeling laugh had me wanting to tear my hair out.

Other than that, 'twas an awesome experience.

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheez Doodles, and masterfully debating do not constitute 'plans' in my book - Walter 'Heisenberg' White

So, Battlefield Earth is on streaming on Netflix...

should I?

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I was tempted to do a positive reveiw of 'Avatar' as an 'April Fools' Joke, but doing that would be like trying to pretend that terrorism helps the economy - its impossible. Instead I give you:

Batman

Gentlemen, it is a fact of life; Movies don’t have to be good to be awesome. You have movies like Citizen Kane, The Godfather, Terminator 2, Up, Pans Labyrinth, 2001, The Dark Knight…all very good movies. But then you have movies that a grumpy old movie critic would rip to shreds – but if you look beyond its stupid and uninspiring exterior, you will find a movie that can only be described as awesome. These select movies may not be appealing to look at, or contain the most complex of plots, but do contain an entertainment value that no Oscar or BAFTA can give. I cannot think of a better example that ‘Batman’

No, not the 1989 one that a Batman fan boy would orgasm at – I’m talking about the 1960 Movie based on the Original Adam West TV Show. Yeah, you know the one. That annoyingly catchy Theme Tune, stupid plots, ridiculous fight scenes, and two fully grown men jogging around in Halloween costumes? Wasn’t it awesome? What could possibly be more entertaining than that? Well, you clearly have not seen this movie.

I cannot possibly describe how enjoyable this movie is. It’s not bad - it’s carefully constructed comic genius. If you throw your maturity in your Bat disposal device, and just sit back and appreciate the amount of love and fun that has been put into this movie – you are in for the ride of your life. Right from the infamous Oscar Winning Shark to the Political message more subtle than ‘Avatar’, I was crying with laughter. I love it. I have only fallen in love with few movies, and this is one of them. I have nothing but praise for this comic masterpiece.

I love you Batman, whether you are Christian Bale, Michael Keaton, or indeed Adam West (just not George Clooney)

-MRB

YouTube
Max, She/They

Yeah that movie was awesome mini/tongue

And indeed, movies don't have to be good to be awesome, just look at planet 9 from outer space.

Batman 1989 !@#$ my pants.

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

I watched that movie sooooo many times as a kid. I thought it was the greatest movie ever made. And in many ways, it is.

The Fly (1958)

Great Sci Fi, I think almost everybody can get into this movie
And Vincent Price is AWESOME! mini/bigsmile

Phantom Of The Opera (1943)

It kinda worked and didn't
Claude Rains is a great actor, but I really couldn't feel sympathie for him in the end.
His kinda stupid actually, but for the rest it's charming and funny

3/5

House By The Cemetery

Damn... that was bad...
The plot of this movie is really boring, and the payoff in the end is so cheap and disapointing.
It had great scares and gores, but it lacks becoming interesting
it's an Italian fail
O OOOh, Spaghettio!

2/5

-Darkman

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

I, watched, BEOWULF! But I fell asleep so I'm gonna finish it, adios.

"11 year olds should dance with girls kiss with tounge and make good things out of this" -- Brick by brick
"What the heck is this underwear business?" -- BertL

Darkman wrote:

Phantom Of The Opera (1943)

It kinda worked and didn't
Claude Rains is a great actor, but I really couldn't feel sympathie for him in the end.
His kinda stupid actually, but for the rest it's charming and funny

3/5

-Darkman

I didn't like the plot really, there was no mystery to it all, they made it like that that you immediatly knew who the " Phantom " actually was, you knew his motive etc. directly from the start.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

A fantastic movie. It had me laughing out loud (especially through the snowball fight) and the anti-British jokes had me cracking up.
Also the moral wasn't very clear, so that makes it the perfect kids' movie.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I loved Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs from start to end. It's absolutely hilarious. It gets ridiculous near the end but I love it mini/tongue

"Animation is about creating the illusion of life. And you can't create it if you don't have one." - Brad Bird

Hazzat wrote:

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

A fantastic movie. It had me laughing out loud (especially through the snowball fight) and the anti-British jokes had me cracking up.
Also the moral wasn't very clear, so that makes it the perfect kids' movie.

Did you see the part in the credits where all the destroyed cities get rebuilt except London?
mini/lol

Yeah, that was the icing on the cake.

I forgot to mention that the movie never lost its character, right up to the end.
Just wanted to say that.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Yesterday I saw Greenzone in theaters. Not that bad, but I prefer the Bourne movies.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.  - Berthold Auerbach