Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Counting whole films, not just ones I caught the end of, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. I probably was laughing a lot more than I should have during the climatic battle, but the way the un-dead hordes were killing each other was just hilarious (one bit just before the main charge into battle practically had me on the floor). And don't get me started on the chase sequence.

Rejecting reality since 2000. mini/bigsmile

UniBlog | DA

That's true.

Littlebrick wrote:
Matt Gillan wrote:
Cinexcellence wrote:

Well said.

How can you use them in the wrong way? How are they supposed to be used? Sex is sex. Violence is violence.

If more film makers thought their stories and characters out more, they would be making a lot more money. There was a passage in a book called "Characterization and Viewpoints" that explains this, but I'm too lazy to write the whole thing in this post.

But they do make money. The people who watch the film will want to see plenty of violence as that is how the film has been sold to the target audience. Not every film is made to be critically acclaimed.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/COTB/FunkyJunk/RUMBLE/mg.jpg

Matt Gillan wrote:
Littlebrick wrote:
Matt Gillan wrote:

How can you use them in the wrong way? How are they supposed to be used? Sex is sex. Violence is violence.

If more film makers thought their stories and characters out more, they would be making a lot more money. There was a passage in a book called "Characterization and Viewpoints" that explains this, but I'm too lazy to write the whole thing in this post.

But they do make money. The people who watch the film will want to see plenty of violence as that is how the film has been sold to the target audience. Not every film is made to be critically acclaimed.

As I recall, it's the phenomenon known as Lowest Common Denominator. It's the only reason films like Disaster Movie exist really.

Rejecting reality since 2000. mini/bigsmile

UniBlog | DA

Bee Movie
It was a pretty good movie with very funny jokes. I like the fact that Barry went into Court...
I give it **** stars

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Watched Gran Torino on the way back to college today. Pretty meh, but some great moments, especially the ending. (3/5)

Oh, and I watched Old School, which sucked. (1.5/5)

Littlebrick wrote:

If more film makers thought their stories and characters out more, they would be making a lot more money.

They'd be making better films, sure, but I don't necessarily agree with the moneymaking part. Films like Meet the Spartans make #1 at the box office because a lot of people are looking for mindless humor rather than complex and well-developed stories. In fact, most of the major Oscar-contender films tend to make a lot less money than others.

The Devil Wears Prada

Actually not bad. Meryl Streep was the highlight of the film, and Emily Blunt was also very good.

Last edited by MindGame (January 12, 2009 (08:09pm))

Seven Pounds
I actually did not like this movie, it looked good, but i found it veeeeeeeerrrrryyyyy boring.  Dont go see it, its not good.

User formerly known as "LEGO"

LEGO wrote:

Seven Pounds
I actually did not like this movie, it looked good, but i found it veeeeeeeerrrrryyyyy boring.  Dont go see it, its not good.

Although the film wasn't amazing or anything I didn't think it was boring.  It was interesting to watch which included a pretty good acting job by Will Smith and Gabriele Muccino is one of my favorite directors.  I thought it was very entertaining and I wouldn't tell someone not to see it.

Ghostbusters
Great, but looking back, the acting is quite meh.  At least for one of the guys.  Always worth a watch, but it's funny to look at films I saw before I got into filmmaking and realize that some aren't really as great as I thought.

Monty Python's Life of Brian
It's Monty Python.  It's funny.  I was expecting something different, but Handmade films tend to work that way.

The Princess Bride
Constantly awesome.  Rob Reiner did a great job.  Cary Elwes has a way to him, he's the perfect Robin Hood Character.
My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die.

Last edited by LegoShark (January 12, 2009 (08:44pm))

"I am Kansas" -Smeagol
http://heythats.cool

Endless Possibilities wrote:
LEGO wrote:

Seven Pounds

I wouldn't tell someone not to see it.

yeah good point, i shouldnt have said that.

User formerly known as "LEGO"

Star Wars Holiday Special

mini/eek mini/lol

Spudster, I couldn't agree more with your review of the...special...special. mini/smile

I laughed my head off at the unsubtitled Wookiee dialog, but things got creepy with the dancers and that horrible cooking show.

I've never been able to sit through the whole special. It's just too mind-numbingly bad.

I've been meaning to ask; which is worse, the prequel trilogy or the "Special"?

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

Definitely the special.

You missed out "The Clone Wars" *shudder*

Reminds me...

Indiana Jones - The Kingdoom of the Crystal Skull

I've just realised the main problem with this movie.

Its pointless.

I suppose the other three movies contained pointless moments, but this whole movie is pointless. I hasnt even revived the old Trilogy, which is what Lucas/Speilberg were probally expecting.
Alright, the pointless parts were pretty cool, but still had no relation to the plot, and just made me facepalm.

The Killer ants were disturbing/humourous, yet unessecary.
The Atomic bomb scene was pretty cool, yet had no significance to the plot.
The weird opening scene with the bunch of teens in the car was pointless. We just wanted to see Indy.
The waterfall scene was possibly meant to be humourous, but again pointless.
And the most pointless part of them all: The Ending. What an anti-climax to one of the greatest film series of all time. It was also the only script George Lucas would greenlight mini/rolleyes

The ending made the whole movie seem pointless. It made no sense, and none of the charaghters actually appeared to learn anything from it.

I know people are going to complain about my comments, but this is just my opinion. Post as many Invalid arguement pictures as you want, but I will remain stubborn.

-MRB

Last edited by Max Butcher (January 13, 2009 (12:35pm))

YouTube
Max, She/They

Night Owl wrote:

I laughed my head off at the unsubtitled Wookiee dialog, but things got creepy with the dancers and that horrible cooking show.

Grandpa Wookie's sex fantasy was a riot.

Max Butcher wrote:

You missed out "The Clone Wars" *shudder*

I don't need to ask around to know that it's the worst of the bunch.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.